Old 27-08-2003, 11:13 PM
shannie

Default info on allotments please

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

if you can lay on water that
would make them far more attractive.

Can do, It comes from a well and is free apart from the cost of leccy

needed
to run the pump...which could be taken into account when working out the
rent.

Depending on the capacity of your private water system, there's a risk
that a hosepipe left running could deprive you of your own domestic
supply.(Have had this happen to us).

Will keep an eye to that, we do have access to an unlimited amount of the
large 100ltr blue barrells, perhaps it'd be more worthwhile supplying each
plot with a few of those?

I may even consider
putting in sheds myself, would have to look at the cost.

And the return; how much rent do you envisage people will pay ?

Don't know yet, just trying to get a handle on what'd be a fair and
reasonable rent to ask. Wouldn't be a huge amount though.

You might also need to find out whether your domestic public liability
insurance covers paying tenants.

Looking into that this week

Janet.

Old 27-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Bob Hobden

"shannie" wrote in message
Having spent six hours today on grasscutting I have decided to rent out

the
half acre of land I don't use for allotments. As we don't have them here

Im
interested to know a little about them from yourselves please. For

example,
what is the average size of an allotment (yards/feet please) Do you have
access to water and power? What is the average yearly/monthly rent. What

is
used to divide your allotments?..ie fencing etc and anything else you can
think of. As said, allotments are not the norm here in Ireland but with

the
amount of new housing being built in the towns with postage stamp gardens

think I may be able to make a go of it, Im thinking along the lines of

four
in the half acre....too many??..too few?? Would love your imput.

Standard size for an allotment is 10 sq Rods (Poles or Perches) and as a Rod
is 5.5 Yards then it's 302.5 sq yards. Say 27ft by 100ft plus paths approx.
You also get half or even quarter plots sometimes, and with some unusual
shaped sites anything goes. Charges are by the Sq Rod and ours are expensive
at £7+ per sq Rod, the normal type of charge is £ 2 per sq Rod.
There are no fences between plots only small paths which are the plotholders
responsibility and these are actually included in the plot size with the
minimum width laid down.
We have access to water but no power and we get nothing else for our money.

Please remember plotholders want some guarantee of tenure as some crops take
years to become useful, especially soft fruit and asparagus. You will also
need to make rules regarding structures on the plots (shanty town) and
manure/compost (smells) and cultivation requirements (weeds etc) and junk
(fly tipping rubbish from home).

Good luck, I wish I had a plot on a private site. :-)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 28-08-2003, 03:03 AM

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:44:24 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

Some allotments say 'no flowers' but that seems a ridiculous restriction
in this day and age. What will be your line on planting permanent things
- fruit trees and bushes etc? OK, but to be left on the allotment? OK
but take them with you when you go? And what will be your line on
standards - will you require people to keep their plots in good order?

Probably need some rules about livestock as well.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 28-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Moby Dick

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"shannie" wrote in message
[...]

I have read down all the answers so far and this is the first one to mention
'length of time' for the holders. Had you thought of this? What happens if
you want the land back in 'x' years? What happens if you sell your bit of
land especially if it is part of your house's land? and here is another
thought, what are your 'liabilities' with regard to your house and 'renting
out' the land? Are you allowed to? Is it in your deeds that you are not
allowed to?

Don't want to be a damp squib but these are things in the background which
no one has mentioned and I had quite a bit of hassle when I sold off half an
acre for building :-((

Good luck and I know the allotment holders will appreciate it if ou do go
ahead with it.

Old 28-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Jim W

shannie wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Ours in Sevenoaks didn't have water, though if you can lay on water that
would make them far more attractive.

Can do, It comes from a well and is free apart from the cost of leccy needed
to run the pump...which could be taken into account when working out the
rent.

Just a comment on water.. Our LA.. lays on water but from cistern fed
tanks with a float valve. (like your loo!-) This was originally designed
to prevent people from running hosepipes. Now needless to say the
council is slack as hell as enforcing that these have stayed as intened
and people now DO use hospipes, but if enforced it might make control
water usages a little.. A bit draconian maybe but just a thought.
//
Jim

Old 28-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Jim W

wrote:

Some allotments say 'no flowers' but that seems a ridiculous restriction
in this day and age. What will be your line on planting permanent things
- fruit trees and bushes etc? OK, but to be left on the allotment? OK
but take them with you when you go? And what will be your line on
standards - will you require people to keep their plots in good order?

Probably need some rules about livestock as well.

Yes, although some councils do allow livestock..

We've had a 'hpuse sheep' on our plot and currently have in residence
chickens on one of sites.. The actually tenency agreement states that,
reasonable requests for small livestock will be considered on an
individual basis!-) (Or somesuch)
//
Jim
Old 28-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Sarah Dale

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:01:34 +0100, shannie wrote:
think of. As said, allotments are not the norm here in Ireland but with the
amount of new housing being built in the towns with postage stamp gardens I
think I may be able to make a go of it, Im thinking along the lines of four

Hi,

I'd check I had a market for this before getting to excited. Your fellow
citizens may not want allotments..... might be worth talking to the
council about to see if they've had any enquiries, or an advert in the
paper for interested persons - or even better - talk to a local reporter
and get it featured in the local paper.

Sarah
Old 28-08-2003, 11:22 PM
shannie

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:01:34 +0100, shannie wrote:
think of. As said, allotments are not the norm here in Ireland but with

the
amount of new housing being built in the towns with postage stamp

gardens I
think I may be able to make a go of it, Im thinking along the lines of

four

Hi,

I'd check I had a market for this before getting to excited. Your fellow
citizens may not want allotments..... might be worth talking to the
council about to see if they've had any enquiries, or an advert in the
paper for interested persons - or even better - talk to a local reporter
and get it featured in the local paper.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, I hadn't thought to talk to the local paper...but I've a
feeling I won't need to, anyone I've spoken to about it in the town seem to
think it's a good idea and sorely needed. It remains to be seen of course as
you say if there is *actually* a market for it, but should we go through
with it I'll put the word out and see what comes back, won't cost us
anything and if we get concrete *yes's* then we'll go ahead and if not
we'll have lost nothing and I'll save up and buy myself a ride-on as a form
of retail therapy!..
Shannie

Old 28-08-2003, 11:22 PM
shannie

"Moby Dick" wrote in message

I have read down all the answers so far and this is the first one to

mention
'length of time' for the holders. Had you thought of this? What happens if
you want the land back in 'x' years? What happens if you sell your bit of
land especially if it is part of your house's land?

We have given this aspect in particular much thought. The initial reason for
buying the house with so much land originally was to have something
reasonable to leave the children when we end up being the one's pushing up
the daisies. The land was bought with the house but was divided on the deed
and not mortgaged. We are in a conservation area and therefore the land
wouldn't be any good as a site. That being said, however, you are quite
correct, things change, people move even when they thought they'd be in a
place for life. However, as mentioned, the land was bought with the kids in
mind, we'll give any prospecive leasee an initial untertaking not to 'take
back' the land within 10yrs...when we get the solr to draw up the agreements
we'll put it in as part of that. Anyone interested in taking it on would of
course be fully informed of our motives and future plans before they sign
and if that initial time span isn't suitable to them they can always walk
away, no harm done.

and here is another
thought, what are your 'liabilities' with regard to your house and

'renting
out' the land? Are you allowed to? Is it in your deeds that you are not
allowed to?

No, nothing like that, as we live 2miles from anyone else it'll not
interfere with anyone, the entranceway is already there so we don't need
permission to build an entrance. As regards insurance, that's a whole other
ballgame, we're trying to pin down a couple of insurance companies for
*straight* answers, but so far none are forthcoming, I'll keep hammering
away tho

Don't want to be a damp squib but these are things in the background

Your not being a damp squib, this is precisely the reason I posted the quest
ions here, Im not offay with how these things work and have to find out as
much info as possible before I decide whether to go ahead with it or not.
I've had some wonderful input here (despite spelling it wrong in my first
post! :-/) and had scenarios put to me that I perhaps wouldn't have forseen,
Bob's one on fly tipping from home, hadn't occured to me for example, plus
plenty more.

Good luck and I know the allotment holders will appreciate it if ou do go
ahead with it.

Thank you

Old 28-08-2003, 11:22 PM
shannie

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Thank's Bob, I hadn't thought about the "fly tipping rubbish from home".
We'd initially give a 10yr guarantee and see how things go from there, this
would definately be something we'd discuss with the prospective leasee
before anything is signed. So at least they'd know what they were taking on,
if they wouldn't be happy with it, they'd at least have the option of
walking away.

Old 29-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Jim

We have given this aspect in particular much thought. The initial reason
for
buying the house with so much land originally was to have something
reasonable to leave the children when we end up being the one's pushing up
the daisies. The land was bought with the house but was divided on the

deed
and not mortgaged.

Put it into 'trust' in the children's names? Could cause an inter brother
sister row in years to come?

We are in a conservation area and therefore the land
wouldn't be any good as a site.

I am just about to start a battle with the Council who want to sell off and
build on a Conservation site :-((

That being said, however, you are quite
correct, things change, people move even when they thought they'd be in a
place for life. However, as mentioned, the land was bought with the kids

in
mind, we'll give any prospecive leasee an initial untertaking not to 'take
back' the land within 10yrs...when we get the solr to draw up the

agreements
we'll put it in as part of that. Anyone interested in taking it on would

of
course be fully informed of our motives and future plans before they sign
and if that initial time span isn't suitable to them they can always walk
away, no harm done.

Best way. dot the 'i's' and cross the 't's' right from the start.

and here is another
thought, what are your 'liabilities' with regard to your house and

'renting
out' the land? Are you allowed to? Is it in your deeds that you are not
allowed to?

No, nothing like that, as we live 2miles from anyone else it'll not
interfere with anyone, the entranceway is already there so we don't need
permission to build an entrance.

2 Miles from anyone?
2 miles from the allotmant holder's house?
Cars?
Parking space for 75% of the allotment holders being there on a Saturday
Afternoon/Sunday morning????

As regards insurance, that's a whole other
ballgame, we're trying to pin down a couple of insurance companies for
*straight* answers, but so far none are forthcoming, I'll keep hammering
away tho

Don't want to be a damp squib but these are things in the background

Your not being a damp squib, this is precisely the reason I posted the

quest
ions here, Im not offay with how these things work and have to find out as
much info as possible before I decide whether to go ahead with it or not.
I've had some wonderful input here (despite spelling it wrong in my first
post! :-/) and had scenarios put to me that I perhaps wouldn't have

forseen,
Bob's one on fly tipping from home, hadn't occured to me for example, plus
plenty more.

Bonfires and burning household rubbish? Fly Tipping made me think of that
one. :-((
'That big matteress' they want to get rid of :-(( ?

Good luck and I know the allotment holders will appreciate it if ou do

go
ahead with it.

Thank you

Like 'Good Luck' again :-))

Old 29-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Jim

The initial reason for
buying the house with so much land originally was to have something
reasonable to leave the children when we end up being the one's pushing up
the daisies.

Can I flag something up which has happened to me, and if unfortunately the
same thing happens to you, your children will get nothing!! It is a common
'run of events' and no doubt other readers can identify with it.

My mother died when I was six. My father remarried and that marriage
produced a daughter, my half sister. (I do have an older sister). My father
and stepmother then bought a hotel and started to build it up. He died when
I was 19. The hotel was kept on by my step mother and my half sister, who
married but was involved with the hotel. Proceeds from the profits bought a
very big house in the country for stepmother, half sister and her husband
and their two children to live in. Hotel sold. Half sister now lives in
Florida and stepmother lives in a very nice luxury apartment. I get nothing.
I have a vase and a couple of brass dishes from my mother and father's early
days.

Yes I could have gone into the hotel but chose not to. Even if I had, I am
still 'entitled' to nothing.

I am not bitter, I am just flagging this up for you and for you to 'do
something now' before you are pushing up the daisies. When my father died
there was no will.

Whilst I sincerely hope this does not happen to you, none of us knows the
future.

Best wishes

ing

Old 29-08-2003, 01:22 PM
shannie

"Jim" wrote in message
The land was bought with the house but was divided on the
deed
and not mortgaged.

Put it into 'trust' in the children's names? Could cause an inter brother
sister row in years to come?

All sorted when it was bought

as we live 2miles from anyone else it'll not
interfere with anyone, the entranceway is already there so we don't need
permission to build an entrance.

2 Miles from anyone?

Yep
2 miles from the allotmant holder's house?

Yep or more
Cars?
Parking space for 75% of the allotment holders being there on a Saturday
Afternoon/Sunday morning????

We can arrange that...the entranceway is large and has compacted stone
there, we used to park and turn a scania artic there, I'll look to making
sure it's big enough for x amount of cars, if not we can sort
something...good one jim
There's a really bad pic here (camera's on the fritz and Im no
photographer ) but you'll get the general idea of size.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...87838938zHedfO

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...87838902EBKwUF

Bonfires and burning household rubbish? Fly Tipping made me think of that
one. :-((
'That big matteress' they want to get rid of :-(( ?

We burn all our household rubbish ourselves, apart from bottles, can's and
paper we recycle, plus of course waste for the compost heap. We don't have
refuse collectors who'll come this far out..that being said it's one to keep
in mind when working on the agreement..thanks

shannie

Old 29-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Bob Hobden

"shannie" wrote in message

Thank's Bob, I hadn't thought about the "fly tipping rubbish from home".
We'd initially give a 10yr guarantee and see how things go from there,

this
would definately be something we'd discuss with the prospective leasee
before anything is signed. So at least they'd know what they were taking

on,
if they wouldn't be happy with it, they'd at least have the option of
walking away.

No, neither did I until we took over an overgrown half plot that had just
been vacated and found broken paving slabs, lumps of concrete, paint cans,
etc, etc underneath the brambles around the edge of the plot. All of this
must have been brought onto the site from a previous users home instead of a
10 min trip to the dump.
Whilst on this topic I forgot to mention we are allowed one "skip" per annum
if we want it.

Don't be put off but do take Jims words to heart, 30+ years in retail
Banking taught me many times what can happen when someone dies in a family.
So many customers said their kids had a strong family bond and everything
would be OK, but remember, those kids have partners of their own that
aren't part of the family! A trust is a good idea, helps with inheritance
tax too. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Start plants from seeds in Spring/growth light etc, info please. Joe Edible Gardening 9 16-11-2003 01:22 AM
[IBC] please re-send vendor info Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 28-07-2003 07:02 PM
Info Please (elephant ear) REBEL JOE Ponds 5 15-05-2003 05:20 AM
magnolia info please...... will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Holidaying in Ireland info please sacha United Kingdom 0 08-02-2003 05:49 PM