Old 09-09-2003, 12:28 AM

Default O/T people sitting on garden wall. advice needed

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:56:39 +0100, someone wrote:

...and if a little, old, frail granny walks along the street on her own with
her pension don't be surprised if she gets mugged. The fact that something
wrong is easy to do does not actually justify it.

And so granny should keep walking down the street with her money
hanging out of her purse, because nobody should steal from her.

And so I should leave my car on a city street with the windows rolled
down and the key in the ignition, because it is wrong to steal cars
and nobody should do it.

And so women should go to parties alone and get pasing out drunk and
be perfectly safe because nobody should sexually assault anyone and
date rape is wrong.

Etc. etc.

In your perfectly pedantic world, maybe.

I'm not "justifying" it, but in the real world you'd be an idiot to
act as if the reality doesn't exist, and take resultant defensive
measures.

-v.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Blackthorn

"v" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:56:39 +0100, someone wrote:

I'm not "justifying" it, but in the real world you'd be an idiot to
act as if the reality doesn't exist, and take resultant defensive
measures.

Which was what the OP was asking for advice on, but your helpful advice was
not to have a wall suitable for sitting on. The equivalent in your examples
of not having a car attractive to thieves.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Franz Heymann

"[ Kolonel Kurtz ]" wrote in message
Thanks for enlightening me on how to post Grandad, fortunately for me I

have
been posting on NG's for many years and don't need the advice - I post the
way I post, not the way I am told.

In that case, someone forgot to teach you some elementary manners.

[snip]

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Blackthorn wrote:
"v" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:56:39 +0100, someone wrote:

I'm not "justifying" it, but in the real world you'd be an idiot to
act as if the reality doesn't exist, and take resultant defensive
measures.

Which was what the OP was asking for advice on, but your helpful advice was
not to have a wall suitable for sitting on. The equivalent in your examples
of not having a car attractive to thieves.

Well, what's wrong with that as a policy?

There is no real similarity between trespass and theft, because the
former is not depriving the right-holder of anything much. My advice
remains that it is better to ensure that the wall IS suitable for
sitting on, so it won't be damaged, and deal with the noise directly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:03 AM
JennyC

"oo" wrote
Hi
I know people on these groups are full of ideas and are very

resourceful. I
have been looking for a solution to my problem on the net.

Basically youths won't stop sitting on my garden wall, despite my

repeated
requests and threats they continue to sit there. Basically they are

noisy
and wil eventually weaken the structure of the wall.

I was wondering if any of you have any practical solutions? (apart

from barb
wire, glass on the wall or using a baseball bat on their knees etc

lol) I
would appreciate sensible and legal solutions...

Oh yeah and theres no point moaning to their parents or police -

thats
useless.

Any advice appreciated as its driving me nuts, having to constantly

chase
the brats. lol
Thanks.

Do they sit there during daylight hours or only in the evening ?

If the latter, how about a motion activated bright light that comes on
if someone sits on the wall ?
Bright light seems to deter loiters and make them uncomfortable :~))

You could perhaps also wire up a Beethoven concerto to come on at the
same time.........:~)

Jenny

Old 09-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Franz Heymann

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Speaking as an afficionado of organ music, I can assure you that a Bach
organ fugue played loudly would produce instant results in the case of
philistines.

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Mike Lyle

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message ...
[...]
Possibly also our screwed up
legal system which means that if the burglar shoots someone they get a few
years in prison but if the homeowner shoots them, the homeowner gets
imprisoned and the burglar gets legal-aid to sue him.

I promised myself I wouldn't get into this OT sub-sub-thread; but as a
believer in the rule of law I just have to comment on that.

There is no death penalty in this country; and when there was, it was
administered by the state after due process, not by amateurs in hot
blood; and it was never in our lifetimes the penalty for burglary.

In the most celebrated recent case, I understand that a man sat up
waiting for intruders he was expecting, armed with an illegally-held
weapon of a type designed only for killing people, not for sport; he
then, if I remember correctly, shot an intruder who was on his way
*out*. It's a matter of personal judgement how such actions are to be
treated; but let's be reasonably clear what the actions were.

If a burglar shot somebody, the victim would, if qualified, receive
legal aid to sue him.

Murder in the course of another crime is generally treated with
greater severity than was the man who fired the gun in this case.

Mike.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
[...]
Speaking as an afficionado of organ music, I can assure you that a Bach
organ fugue played loudly would produce instant results in the case of
philistines.

A supermarket manager, Radio 4 tells me, has had great success with
classical music over the P.A. system as a deterrent of undesirables.
Sad, isn't it? In my fantasy world, even *******s would stick around
to listen to good music.

But I don't think I'd go for the organ repertoi they might find it
stimulating. Instead, I'd give them the Goldberg Variations: if they
didn't get away in time, it'd put them to sleep.

Or, on the other hand, you could take an aggressive approach and give
them the B Minor Mass: that might well cause instant religious
conversion among the hangers-out, and they'd suddenly be seized with
an altruistic desire to cut the grass for you.

Mike.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I don't wish to be responsible for making religious converts. {:-((
Having said that, I admit to countless distant relatives in South Africa
whose ancestors emigrated from Germany as missionaries in the nineteenth
century.

Mike.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Blew Peter

Next is the beautiful part - when wintertime rolls around, the
gorillas simply freeze to death.

This way, you wont have to bother with a turkey come christmas.
Gorilla burgers all round, and a nice new fur coat for the wife