Old 07-09-2003, 12:12 PM
[ Kolonel Kurtz ]

Default O/T people sitting on garden wall. advice needed

It may annoy the neighbours ....... but hopefully not as much as the kids
annoy them by hanging around!

Kolonel Kurtz

Old 07-09-2003, 12:25 PM
dave @ stejonda

Tosh wrote in message

Go out and sit with them and talk to them about basket weaving train
spotting or stamp collecting , they'll think you're a nutter and keep
away

Sorry, unlikely to work. You go out and initially they'll move away
after giving a bit of lip. If you move towards them they'll move a
little further away until it turns into a game for them.

I've seen the planting of pricklys work well. Rosa rugosa starts small
but then accelerates so that the long-term intention is not immediately
clear.

Getting a reputation as a 'nutter' (not a term I like - those who know
me will know why) would be likely to create long term problems with such
people. You'd just be encouraging their prejudices and fears.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 07-09-2003, 12:25 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message
1g0wz31.1gao2whuvj50N%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net, Jim W
writes
[ Kolonel Kurtz ] wrote:

It has just came to me in a flash of light - why don't you get some compost
[really smelly stuff] and lay it along the inside of the wall [along the
ground] ... once they come near the wall they will smell the compost and
bugger off elsewhere, this may be smelly for a couple ofdays maybe even
weeks but should defo do the trick

Thats actually not a bad idea.. Might annoy the neighbours for a bit
though.

Laying a proprietary pongy fertiliser (eg Golden Grow, 6X etc) along the
inside of your property would be completly legal as well!-)

My cat has diarrhoea atm (true) - I could send oo some if you like.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 07-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Rhiannon S

From: "Serenity"
Date: 07/09/2003 09:49 GMT Daylight Time
Plant something spiky - like berberis.
Serenity

The ones that worked for my grandparents in a similar situation were a
combination of Holly and gorse. And as someone who accidently sat in the gorse
bush myself (much to my grandfathers hilarity) can I say, it will work.
Ouchie!
****************************
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!

Old 07-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Doug Miller

In article , newsmail wrote:
In article t, Caliban
writes

Would you please tell your friends that my friends keep guns next to their
windows to address such threats upon their life and property?

Unfortunately, in this country, if *you* protect *your* property *you*,
not the criminal, end up in prison (

Maybe you should emigrate. :-) It's not like that in most parts of the US. In
Indiana, where I live, state law permits the use of deadly force, by any
citizen, to prevent a break-in at "a residence". Not necessarily one's own.

--
Regards,
Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Willi

Hi

I know people on these groups are full of ideas and are very resourceful.

have been looking for a solution to my problem on the net.

Basically youths won't stop sitting on my garden wall, despite my repeated
requests and threats they continue to sit there. Basically they are noisy
and wil eventually weaken the structure of the wall.

I was wondering if any of you have any practical solutions? (apart from

barb
wire, glass on the wall or using a baseball bat on their knees etc lol) I
would appreciate sensible and legal solutions...

Oh yeah and theres no point moaning to their parents or police - thats
useless.

Any advice appreciated as its driving me nuts, having to constantly chase
the brats. lol

Thanks.

Best ideas so far has to be smell near the wall! or the bird seed idea.
Or maybe both at the same time. Lets face it the kids are only human :-),
they will soon get fedup with bird pooh on there clothes (probably expensive
designer stuff) and a nasty whiff in the air. Combine that with cold dark
wet winter nights that's on the way & they will soon find other places to
hang out or just stay home.
Like I said in an earlier post, worst thing you could do is hassle them, as
they will dig there heals in and never go. And give you lots of hassle back.
My kids are 13 & 14 and they and there mates can be some swine's at times!
we have a low wall outside aswell, which a load of them will decide to sit
on ever now and again, and make lots of noise.I always try to stay on there
side & laugh and joke with them. They don't give me any hassle this way
(touchwood) & never seem to stay long. This way seems to work for "me", ok I
get a bit of noise occasionally, but no trouble. Well not what I call
trouble. sometimes the kids fall out amongst themselves, but that's about it
(touchwood again).
Be patient with them, they will soon get bored and move on. Not worth
getting stress out over. Theres so many much worse things going on in this
dam world :-(.
Bottom line is don't take the law into your own hands, if things get so bad
call the police. Whatever you think of the police or the state of the police
force, they are there for you. Make them work for you. you may be surprised!
They will more than likely help.
Just "my" views.
Cheers, Willi

Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Temor

Bloody hell...............wot a thread this turned out to be !!!!!!

;-)

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0x3a6.wcm0kn1ot3rscN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

[ Kolonel Kurtz ] wrote:

It has just came to me in a flash of light - why don't you get some

compost
[really smelly stuff] and lay it along the inside of the wall [along

the
ground] ... once they come near the wall they will smell the compost

and
bugger off elsewhere, this may be smelly for a couple ofdays maybe

even
weeks but should defo do the trick

Thats actually not a bad idea.. Might annoy the neighbours for a bit
though.

Laying a proprietary pongy fertiliser (eg Golden Grow, 6X etc) along

the
inside of your property would be completly legal as well!-)

My cat has diarrhoea atm (true) - I could send oo some if you like.

I doubt its a legally approved fertiliser though
//

Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Sally Pointer

You could try the trick being adopted by newsagents sick of having kids
loiter, start playing the most deathly boring 'old fashioned' easy listening
music you can find and make sure it is clearly heard on the wall, it will be
way too uncool for them to sit there. I've heard it works really well.
Sally

Old 07-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Sally Pointer

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Paul Bines" wrote in message
Paint your wall top with that black sticky gunk they use to keep

pigeons
off
ledges.
Or, one better, put fake bird muck on the top of the wall - you could
probably make some fake stuff (anyone got any recipes?)
Au Res.,
Paul

Fake cowpat recipe, mix up several weetabix, some frozen spinach and some
mashed potato with a little warm water and gravy browning, sneak out at
night and create some interesting deposits. Has serious ick value and is
harmless.

Sally

Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 PM
ß Ø ® G

Another good way to get rid of them is to go and join them, go sit
with them and talk ******** to them, They will think your mad and go
no where near you then bring a tape deck out and play real old crap
music and wear a hat backwards and a cardie and slippers

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz ---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header
Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Joolz

Lots of good advice here, I think that winter will keep them away and =
hopefully plants will do the trick next year.

But for the time being, I think you should make a Sick recipe...make it =
look like some drunk has leant over your wall and , this will put them =
off, even if it doesn't smell,..they may even have a bit of sympathy for =
you having to clean it up ;o

A bit of condensed soup, lager, carrots and oats should do it...but I'm =
sure you'll find something on google.

Joolz

--=20
Please try your luck with these instant win prizes. If you win, we both =
win the same prize, no catches!!!=20
http://tinyurl.com/h7ya =3D See Elton John LIVE in Paris=20
http://tinyurl.com/h7xv =3D =A350 bouquet of flowers delivered.=20
All courtesy of www.winningnote.com=20

Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Ric

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:35:17 +0100, "oo" wrote:

Hi

I know people on these groups are full of ideas and are very resourceful.

have been looking for a solution to my problem on the net.

Basically youths won't stop sitting on my garden wall, despite my

repeated
requests and threats they continue to sit there. Basically they are noisy
and wil eventually weaken the structure of the wall.

Just drip a bit of tar along the top of the wall. It doesn't need much, so
needn't disfigure the wall. Just odd spots here and there.