Old 07-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Andy

Default O/T people sitting on garden wall. advice needed

just put sone railings on the top of the wall

"oo" wrote in message
Hey folks

Thanks for the tips, however I don't really want to smear dog shit or
anti-vandal goo over my nice newly built wall.

I'm fed up with these little brats and judging by the reaction they are
nationwide problem. Where I live it can't be blamed on asylum seekers (the
media and government seem to blame them for all anti-social behavior) as

we
have none.

"oo" wrote in message

Hi

I know people on these groups are full of ideas and are very

resourceful.
have been looking for a solution to my problem on the net.

Basically youths won't stop sitting on my garden wall, despite my

repeated
requests and threats they continue to sit there. Basically they are

noisy
and wil eventually weaken the structure of the wall.

I was wondering if any of you have any practical solutions? (apart from

barb
wire, glass on the wall or using a baseball bat on their knees etc lol)

would appreciate sensible and legal solutions...

Oh yeah and theres no point moaning to their parents or police - thats
useless.

Any advice appreciated as its driving me nuts, having to constantly

chase
the brats. lol

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Chunky

"ß Ø ® G" wrote in message
Another good way to get rid of them is to go and join them, go sit
with them and talk ******** to them, They will think your mad and go
no where near you then bring a tape deck out and play real old crap
music and wear a hat backwards and a cardie and slippers

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz ---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Stop watching me, Borg mate.
;-)
Chunks

---

Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"joe parkin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Paint your wall top with that black sticky gunk they use to keep

pigeons

off

ledges.

Love it!

unfortunately you will be acting outside the law putting it on top of
a low wall.

Not if you put a sign up to advertise the fact that the wall is private
property, and that intruder paint is in use, and that it will damage any
clothing.

The local club had the same, it was told it was leaving them open to
claims unless the paint was at least 6 foot from the floor (IIRC)
If the OP paints anything that could cause a member of the public
damage or injury the can be in trouble

That sounds like a law which is just begging to be broken. I would say that
it was utterly unenforceable. What about the hundreds of thousands of
houses abutting a street with no front garden? Are they never to be allowed
to paint their front doors?

Surely it's a matter of everybody's legal duty of reasonable care to
avoid injury or nuisance to others. I, or the mythical little old
lady, stumble in walking past, fall against the gunked wall, and ruin
a perfectly good coat: I might have a job actually getting you to pay
for a new one, but I'd have a case. That case would be strengthened if
it were known that the gunk had been put there for the sole purpose of
making the wall untouchable. It isn't lawful -- or sensible -- to set
traps.

A delivery man might also have difficulty in getting the money out of
you if he got paint on his coat from your front door because you'd
forgotten to put out a "Wet paint" sign; but it would still be at
least as much your responsibility as his. It's not reasonable to
expect people to know that paint is wet. Reasonable care can also
apply to your choice of garden plants. But I'd still consider going
with the thorny shrubs, taking some care, though, to make sure they
didn't project onto the footpath.

Mike.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:04 PM
§§-Gandalf-§§

Willi wrote:

wet winter nights that's on the way & they will soon find other places to
hang out or just stay home.

Water the wall (do it the same time as the garden) ... it's clean,
doesn't smell ... and they won't want a wet bum!
Old 07-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Caliban

"Mike Lyle" wrote
So let's consider psychological warfare. I wonder what would happen if
whenever they showed up you went out and joined them sitting on the
wall with your mug of tea, and told them all about when you were their
age in excruciating detail, preferably with much repetition, and maybe
a few asides about the state of your health. It would then be your
turn to enjoy a wind-up, and they'd probably avoid your place ever
after.

I like this idea (posted not just by Mike but a few others).

I think the only problem is that, for some people, this might require some
dedicated acting. I know for me, acting out of character for more than a
minute or so is very difficult.

Still, it's worth a try. I'd number it 1, followed by the anti-burglar paint
(love that suggestion about mixing motor oil with ordinary paint, btw,
though I'm not sure that is very long-lasting once on the wall), followed by
putting something on the wall that makes it uncomfortable to sit on,
followed by a little legal action.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:43 PM
PontySlapper

"Joolz" wrote in message
Lots of good advice here, I think that winter will keep them away and
hopefully plants will do the trick next year.

But for the time being, I think you should make a Sick recipe...make it look
like some drunk has leant over your wall and , this will put them off, even
if it doesn't smell,..they may even have a bit of sympathy for you having to
clean it up ;o

A bit of condensed soup, lager, carrots and oats should do it...but I'm sure
you'll find something on google.

Joolz

--
Please try your luck with these instant win prizes. If you win, we both win
the same prize, no catches!!!

Hows about a drop of chip fat out of the old deep fat fryer thats lurking in
the shed. Maybe mixed with a drop of old manky engine oil - kills old tree
stumps as well.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Joolz

Ergh gross..lol. Least the kids know better than hang around outside our =
houses eh?=20

Joolz

Old 07-09-2003, 07:13 PM

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:35:17 +0100, someone wrote:

Basically youths won't stop sitting on my garden wall, despite my repeated
requests and threats they continue to sit there. Basically they are noisy
and wil eventually weaken the structure of the wall.

So don't have a wall that is so attractive & comfortable to sit on.
Leave a bench alongside a public place, don't be surprised if people
use it.

-v.

Old 07-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Blackthorn

"v" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:35:17 +0100, someone wrote:

Basically youths won't stop sitting on my garden wall, despite my

repeated
requests and threats they continue to sit there. Basically they are noisy
and wil eventually weaken the structure of the wall.

So don't have a wall that is so attractive & comfortable to sit on.
Leave a bench alongside a public place, don't be surprised if people
use it.

....and if a little, old, frail granny walks along the street on her own with
her pension don't be surprised if she gets mugged. The fact that something
wrong is easy to do does not actually justify it.

Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news
In article , newsmail
wrote:
In article t, Caliban
writes

Would you please tell your friends that my friends keep guns next to

their
windows to address such threats upon their life and property?

Unfortunately, in this country, if *you* protect *your* property *you*,
not the criminal, end up in prison (

Maybe you should emigrate. :-) It's not like that in most parts of the US.

In
Indiana, where I live, state law permits the use of deadly force, by any
citizen, to prevent a break-in at "a residence". Not necessarily one's

own.

I am happy to report that I live in a country which is more civilised than
that.

Franz

Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"[ Kolonel Kurtz ]" wrote in message
It may annoy the neighbours ....... but hopefully not as much as the kids
annoy them by hanging around!

What is it which may annoy the neighbours?

Franz

Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0x3et.1ghpzit1g9ip3jN%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Brandon" wrote in message

"oo" wrote in message

snip
Basically youths won't stop sitting on my garden wall, despite my

repeated
requests and threats they continue to sit there. Basically they are

noisy
and wil eventually weaken the structure of the wall.

I was wondering if any of you have any practical solutions? (apart

from
barb
wire, glass on the wall or using a baseball bat on their knees etc

lol)
would appreciate sensible and legal solutions...

snip

I recently visited a Victorian School Museum and one of the things

they
did
was have brass studs embedded into the hand rail on staircases to

discourage
pupils from sliding down them, why not buy large brass studs, most DIY
stores have them or something similar and either superglue them or

drill
and
cement them into the brickwork of the wall.

This is probably your safest bet legally, anything that will harm or

damage
them or their property would make you liable, an innocent bystander

may
temporarily sit on your wall to tie their shoelace etc and be faced

with
their clothes being damaged or themselves being injured. There are

plenty
of cases of burglars successfully suing residents of houses that they

have
broken into because of measures that the residents have taken to stop

them
being burgled that has resulted in the burglar being injured.

There have been a large number of interesting suggestions, all of which,
with one exception, will unfortunately lead to trouble of one kind or
another.

The ones which come closer than ten miles of the law can be rejected
immediately, unless one is a gambler. The vast majority of the others

make
it clear to the louts that something is actively planned against them.

The
brats I know will almost certainly plan an act of revenge.

The only plan which will work is one in which the yobbos don' realise

that
they are being plotted against. Only one of the suggested plans, namely
that of "ameijers" fulfils this requirement: Feed birds regularly on

the
wall at times when the brats are somewhere else, in order to get the

wall
covered here and there in bird droppings. It will turn out that the

birds
are more persistent than the children.

Franz... what happens when the birds become a problem? It might work
short term but I think it has its pitfalls.

I am blissfully unawarte of any pitfalls. We have been feeding birds right
round the year on two windowsills, the front drive and a bird table. We
also grow strawberries specifically for the delectation of the birds. The
bird dung and bird song they leave as a token of gratitude we accept with
grace.

And darned bird crap on everything else around too... If they perch on
your property or worse roost then you have a problem.

We in fact have a small flock of chaffinches who perch in a tree in the
front garden whilst waiting for the tavern door to open, as well as a
substantial flock of sparrows who do roost here. In this day and age when
house sparrows are getting as close as dammit to being an endangered
species, we feel particularly honoured to be hosts to a flock of them.

Ever seen what
bird excrement does to the fabric of a house over a longer period.

My wife and I have been avid bird lovers for as long as we have owned houses
and have gone out of our way to atttract them. We have never noticed any
damage of any kind done by them.

Nasty...
And if you manage to attract pigeons you will get the authorities
around to tell you to stop feeding birds in many places!

Not here, I am glad to say.

Franz

Old 07-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message
1g0wz31.1gao2whuvj50N%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net, Jim W
writes
[ Kolonel Kurtz ] wrote:

It has just came to me in a flash of light - why don't you get some

compost
[really smelly stuff]

But my compost is never smelly. What am I doing wrong?

Franz