Old 03-12-2003, 05:06 PM
David Hill

Default Substitute for horticultural fleece?

"..........I have a couple of nice pineapple sage plants but from what I
have read they will need some frost protection....."

I would go with Sacha, I have had pineapple sage in a cold glasshouse for
the last 6 years with no problems, and a couple of plants in a polly tunnel
for 2 winters, the main thing is the wet rather than the cold.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Sacha

Franz Heymann3/12/03 2:31

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Ruth2/12/03 5:45

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
"Ruth" wrote in message
om...
Hello there

I have a couple of nice pineapple sage plants but from what I have
read they will need some frost protection. I am wondering whether
anyone has any suggestions as to what they can be insulated with -
will I have to go and buy some horticultural fleece (which I haven't
used before) or is there something that might do just as well?

Any suggestions would be very handy!

Kindest regards

Bubble plastic packing material, but take it off during the day.

Cheers Franz!

All the best

Ruth

Bubble wrap will produce condensation and that, in itself, could rot your
plants.

Note that I said that it should be taken off during the day. I doubt if the
plants would rot if they were aired as regularly as that.
Strictly I should have said the wrap should be removed during frost-free
days.

[snip]

Franz

I'm trying to imagine someone going out every day to remove bubble wrap for
a few hours and then going out again to replace it before e.g. 4 or 5 every
afternoon. Even someone who isn't at work all day might have trouble
following that routine.
AND even more importantly, cold, wet roots will rot the plants away. This
is a plant that is better brought into a frost free environment where it
will have some light and be kept almost dry.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Franz Heymann3/12/03 2:31

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Ruth2/12/03 5:45

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
"Ruth" wrote in message
om...
Hello there

[...]

{:-)) Actually I agree.

Franz

Old 04-12-2003, 10:03 AM
martin

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:57:21 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Franz Heymann3/12/03 7:26
$dc4$1@ti tan.btinternet.com

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .

snip
I'm trying to imagine someone going out every day to remove bubble wrap

for
a few hours and then going out again to replace it before e.g. 4 or 5

every
afternoon. Even someone who isn't at work all day might have trouble
following that routine.
AND even more importantly, cold, wet roots will rot the plants away. This
is a plant that is better brought into a frost free environment where it
will have some light and be kept almost dry.

{:-)) Actually I agree.

That's nice for me but it might have been more helpful if you had said all
this to the OP, who is searching for good advice.
Your reply to me seems to suggest that you have misled her. Shame if he or
she follows your 'advice' and now loses those plants, don't you think? If
they do follow your dictat, I hope you'll cough up for new plants next
spring.

Anything posted here is addressed to everybody.
--
Martin
Old 04-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Sacha

Franz Heymann4/12/03 9:38

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Franz Heymann3/12/03 7:26

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .

snip
[...]

Sacha, the OP asked for a substitute for fleece. I said bubble packing. I
said take it off during the day.
That was a valid answer to the OP's question.

Your suggestion, which I agree to be better than using either fleece or
bubble wrap, was not an answer to the question as put.

Franz

I disagree with you. Bubblewrap is NOT a good substitute for horticultural
fleece for the reasons I gave earlier.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-12-2003, 01:03 PM
martin

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:46:55 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

That's nice for me but it might have been more helpful if you had said all
this to the OP, who is searching for good advice.
Your reply to me seems to suggest that you have misled her. Shame if he or
she follows your 'advice' and now loses those plants, don't you think? If
they do follow your dictat, I hope you'll cough up for new plants next
spring.

Anything posted here is addressed to everybody.

I haven't seen anyone saying that it isn't.

"That's nice for me but it might have been more helpful if you had
said all this to the OP, who is searching for good advice."

So what dos that mean?
--
Martin
Old 04-12-2003, 01:04 PM
martin

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:47:54 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Franz Heymann4/12/03 9:38
$bht$1@sp arta.btinternet.com

Sacha, the OP asked for a substitute for fleece. I said bubble packing. I
said take it off during the day.
That was a valid answer to the OP's question.

Your suggestion, which I agree to be better than using either fleece or
bubble wrap, was not an answer to the question as put.

Franz

I disagree with you. Bubblewrap is NOT a good substitute for horticultural
fleece for the reasons I gave earlier.

Franz didn't say it was a *good* substitute.

He agreed with you. What more do you want?

--
Martin
Old 04-12-2003, 03:12 PM
martin

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:52:21 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

martin4/12/03 12:58

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:47:54 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Franz Heymann4/12/03 9:38

Sacha, the OP asked for a substitute for fleece. I said bubble packing. I
said take it off during the day.
That was a valid answer to the OP's question.

Your suggestion, which I agree to be better than using either fleece or
bubble wrap, was not an answer to the question as put.

Franz

I disagree with you. Bubblewrap is NOT a good substitute for horticultural
fleece for the reasons I gave earlier.

Franz didn't say it was a *good* substitute.

He agreed with you. What more do you want?

While I haven't been posting much to the group lately, I have been reading
it. One thing of which I have become very aware, is that in terms of
prolonging a thread well past its sell-by date, you and Franz appear to be
the equivalents of a newsgroup stump grinder.

Stand well back and take a good look at your own posts

I'm really not interested in
prolonging this with you, Martin, unless you have some means of giving the
OP some useful and not potentially damaging, help, rather than choosing
merely to pick a fight.

I already gave my advice.

However, if you think bubble wrap a substitute for horticultural fleece and
you think this is good advice, by all means, go ahead and wrap everything
tender in your garden in it.

You just cannot resist misquoting people can you? I never suggested
using bubble wrap or even using a substitute.

If you were to actually read people's posts instead of constantly nit
picking, you might have noticed that I asked some days ago why the OP
didn't use horticultural fleece instead of a substitute.
--
Martin