Old 30-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Robert

Default Bees

Just been to the garden centre because of the wet weather and was surprised
to see a bee going from flower to flower. The lady said they've had lots
around still, even on the frosty mornings

Robert lives in Plymouth, Devon

Old 30-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Jason Pope

Robert wrote:
Just been to the garden centre because of the wet weather and was surprised
to see a bee going from flower to flower. The lady said they've had lots
around still, even on the frosty mornings

Robert lives in Plymouth, Devon

The mild weather has screwed up many things this year.
My Passion Flower is still flowering and fruiting, even now!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 30-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Rod

Robert wrote:

Just been to the garden centre because of the wet weather and was surprised
to see a bee going from flower to flower. The lady said they've had lots
around still, even on the frosty mornings

Robert lives in Plymouth, Devon

Mine have been working on Ivy flowers this week - probably about finished now, then
they'll just come out on cleansing flights on mild winter days.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/~rodcraddock/
Old 30-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Mary Fisher

Just been to the garden centre because of the wet weather and was

surprised
to see a bee going from flower to flower. The lady said they've had lots
around still, even on the frosty mornings

Robert lives in Plymouth, Devon

Mine have been working on Ivy flowers this week - probably about finished

now, then
they'll just come out on cleansing flights on mild winter days.

Yes that's right, but they will also collect any nectar which is easily
available at low temperatures.

My wise mentor, very many years ago, had a saying that "bees never do
anything invariably". I've learned by experience that he was right.

Mary

Old 30-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Gary Woods

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

My wise mentor, very many years ago, had a saying that "bees never do
anything invariably".

And a variation on that from Roger Morse, at one time the leading U.S.
expert: "If somebody tells you the bees will always do this or never do
that, ignore everything they say; they don't know what they're talking
about!"

Old 30-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Mary Fisher

My wise mentor, very many years ago, had a saying that "bees never do
anything invariably".

And a variation on that from Roger Morse, at one time the leading U.S.
expert: "If somebody tells you the bees will always do this or never do
that, ignore everything they say; they don't know what they're talking
about!"

Yes. I'm in UK but have met Prof. Morse. Mind you, I still prefer the
simplicity of my mentor's words!

It's not important though, both versions are true.

You know the one about not moving bees more than three feet?

It don't work!

Mary

Mary

Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Gary Woods

"On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:53:32 -0000, you wrote:

Yes. I'm in UK but have met Prof. Morse. Mind you, I still prefer the
simplicity of my mentor's words!

Good guy. I took a beekeeping short course at Cornell eons ago, supervised
by him.

You know the one about not moving bees more than three feet?

Not directly, unless you also mean that they have to be moved much more
than that to make them re-learn the hive's location.

I did occasionally swap a strong itching-to-swarm hive with a nucleus,
which sometimes worked...

And I enjoyed one commercial pollinator's tribulations: He put the
beehives into fields of blueberries, but had to shift them after a few days
to a week when they figured out that there was much sweeter nectar
available on the hedgerows...

I've got to get sorting and testing some stored seeds. It's something to
do while I wait for spring.... The Kiwis in the group are really starting
to annoy me... I'll get over it. Some time in April.

Old 03-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Rod

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
My wise mentor, very many years ago, had a saying that "bees never do
anything invariably".

And a variation on that from Roger Morse, at one time the leading U.S.
expert: "If somebody tells you the bees will always do this or never

do
that, ignore everything they say; they don't know what they're talking
about!"

Yes. I'm in UK but have met Prof. Morse. Mind you, I still prefer the
simplicity of my mentor's words!

It's not important though, both versions are true.

You know the one about not moving bees more than three feet?

It don't work!

Mary

Mary

Name dropping are we ? ;~))) I met somebody once who knew somebody who met
Brother Adam once ;~)))
About beekeeeping myth and legend - it's worse than gardening - they just
read one another's books and perpetuate the same old stuff. (Not talking
about real experts & scientists like Morse et al - just the 'kept bees for
a couple of seasons, now to write the book' gang)

Rod

Old 04-12-2003, 09:44 PM
John Rouse

In article , Sacha
writes
Will it help if I say that I know somebody who met Brother Adam? Only one
remove. ;-)

Our local Bee Inspector worked for Brother Adam for many years. He also
did the Radio 4 programme about the work of the bee inspector. He is
very helpful to our local beekeeping association. However even some of
his ideas are the subject of much debate at beekeeping meetings.

I'm sure all of us who have kept bees have read/heard the many particulars
of bees, their hives, moving them etc. etc. It's not exactly a secret
society though I suppose some would like to make it so.

Many of the rules of thumb come from experience, "less than three feet
or more than three miles" is a good rule if you want to keep all your
bees. Its also useful if you want to put a new hive on the site of the
existing one for swarm control, a frame of brood in the old hive will
keep the bees in there, and the flying bees will return to the new hive
and stay with the queen.

Beekeeping is moving on all the time. Open mesh floors are almost
standard in our area now, throughout the winter, though I'm hedging my
bets by keeping a colony on each....

John
--
John Rouse
Old 04-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Mary Fisher

Name dropping are we ? ;~))) I met somebody once who knew somebody who met
Brother Adam once ;~)))

I met him lots of times. And interviewed him. And took pictures of him, some
of which were published - also of Morse. And lots of others.

They're only people. It's not name dropping. Many of these 'famous names'
are (were sometimes, many are dead) friends, I'm still on several Christmas
card lists.

About beekeeeping myth and legend - it's worse than gardening - they just
read one another's books and perpetuate the same old stuff.

Absolutely!

(Not talking
about real experts & scientists like Morse et al

Well, I'd argue with that - but not here.

- just the 'kept bees for
a couple of seasons, now to write the book' gang)

Yes. I never did that in all my 25 years, despite being pressed ...

Mary

Rod