Old 13-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default reply at long last

On 26th July I sent a number of what I thought were easy questions to
Kew. Yesterday, I received a reply.

It seems date palms will survive outside in a sheltered spot, but need
to be wrapped up in the winter against cold winds and frosts.

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

Tamarind: big, leguminacae, and not hardy. (As I guessed)

They don't know what amarulas are. Am I spelling it correctly? (also
seen as merula and something else, but I've lost the

Lemon question was answered by urg in early September.

*AND* I enclosed SAE.

Generally,

Kew v. urg: score = 4 - 1 to urg

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 13-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Sacha

Jaques d'Alltrades13/12/03 5:01

On 26th July I sent a number of what I thought were easy questions to
Kew. Yesterday, I received a reply.

It seems date palms will survive outside in a sheltered spot, but need
to be wrapped up in the winter against cold winds and frosts.

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

Platymiscum Yucatanum (Granadillo)

Tamarind: big, leguminacae, and not hardy. (As I guessed)

TAMARIND

Tamarindus indica L.

Leguminosae (Fabaceae)
Common Names: Tamarind, Tamarindo, Tamarin, Sampalok.

Distant affinity: Carob (Ceratonia siliqua).

Origin: The tamarind is native to tropical Africa and grows wild throughout
the Sudan. It was introduced into India so long ago, it has often been
reported as indigenous there also. It is extensively cultivated in tropical
areas of the world. Sometime during the sixteenth century, it was introduced
into America and today is widely grown in Mexico.

Adaptation: The tamarind is well adapted to semiarid tropical conditions,
although it does well in many humid tropical areas of the world with
seasonally high rainfall. Young trees are very susceptible to frost, but
mature trees will withstand brief periods of 28° F without serious injury. A
tamarind tree in the Quail Botanical Gardens in San Diego County flowers,
but rarely sets fruit, possibly because of the cool coastal climate. Dry
weather is important during the period of fruit development. The tree is too
large to be grown in a container for any length of time.

They don't know what amarulas are. Am I spelling it correctly? (also
seen as merula and something else, but I've lost the

Try them on Sclerocarya Birrea.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/p...93/v2-496.html
snip

All this was found by Googling. Latin names help to identify plants so much
more easily than local 'nicknames'. That takes a lot longer.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 13-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Brian Watson

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
On 26th July I sent a number of what I thought were easy questions to
Kew. Yesterday, I received a reply.

It seems date palms will survive outside in a sheltered spot, but need
to be wrapped up in the winter against cold winds and frosts.

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

Thought it was a gr*e*nadillo?
--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

Old 13-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

On 26th July I sent a number of what I thought were easy questions to
Kew. Yesterday, I received a reply.

It seems date palms will survive outside in a sheltered spot, but need
to be wrapped up in the winter against cold winds and frosts.

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

Thought it was a gr*e*nadillo?

So did I, but my dictionary told me it was granadilla (sorry, not
granadillo) and I guess that's relating to Granada rather than
grenade/grenadine.

However, it adds as an aside 'the edible fruit of various other
passion-flowers.' so perhaps I ought to forgive Kew for being cagey -
though I did give a detailed description.

This one was shaped rather like a wasps' nest and about the size of a
small pear. It had a hard, thin shell full of aromatic grey frogspawn
with very crunchy tadpoles.

I found two of them growing in Budgen's reduced price bit, at 10p a go,
and from the seeds there have grown several fine specimens which
presently are framing the insides of three windows.

When I get the right shaped tuits I'll have a google and see what else I
can discover, but ATM it's all I can do to keep up with what I ought to
be doing in RL as well as keeping up at the back here.

Old 13-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades13/12/03 5:01

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

Platymiscum Yucatanum (Granadillo)

But I have it as Passiflora quadrangularis. (Typo - for granadilla - GKH
- but the letter was correct.)

Tamarind: big, leguminacae, and not hardy. (As I guessed)

TAMARIND

Yes, had that too, thanks. We were at one with that.

They don't know what amarulas are. Am I spelling it correctly? (also
seen as merula and something else, but I've lost the

Try them on Sclerocarya Birrea.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/p...93/v2-496.html
snip

All this was found by Googling. Latin names help to identify plants so much
more easily than local 'nicknames'. That takes a lot longer.

Hmmmm. 4½ months - -

What I was hoping for was experiences of growing the plants in our
climate - or not, as the case my be.

I used to send specimens of fungi or questions to the British Museum of
Natural History and often had a reply by return. (Several of my
specimens ended up in their jars - - -)

Last time I spoke to them they were very unhappy about losing mycology
to Kew. I'll have to try them on some specimens of fungi next time I
find something I think is interesting.

Old 13-12-2003, 10:03 PM
David Hill

"...........They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do. ..........."

Well my old "Bible" printed in the 20's says about Granadillo is.......A
name used for the fruits of 2 or more kinds of Passion flower ; Passiflora
quadrangularis and P. edulis.......

Then for TAMARINDUS INDIC Tamarind

It is a tropical tree which produces fruits of considerable medicinal value.
This tree which is found wild in tropical Asia and Africa belongs to the pea
family.
The name Tamarind is derived from tamar, date, and indus, India, the plant
sometimes called the Indian date................

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 13-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Sacha

Jaques d'Alltrades13/12/03 8:37

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades13/12/03 5:01

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

Platymiscum Yucatanum (Granadillo)

But I have it as Passiflora quadrangularis. (Typo - for granadilla - GKH
- but the letter was correct.)

We have P. quadrangularis. You're very welcome to come and have a look at
ours. But Passiflorae seem to lead to more arguments re varieties than
almost any other plant.

[...]

I wonder how many enquiries they get per month? I really don't know but I
also wonder how much of their staff they can afford to dedicate to ID
requests. Just a thought...

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 14-12-2003, 12:50 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

But I have it as Passiflora quadrangularis. (Typo - for granadilla - GKH
- but the letter was correct.)

We have P. quadrangularis. You're very welcome to come and have a look at
ours. But Passiflorae seem to lead to more arguments re varieties than
almost any other plant.

I've heard that they tend to form mongrels.

Is yours planted outside, or potted? (or, other?)

If I had a digital camera I'd have posted pics of it by now, but
spondulix fugens.

Heart-shaped leaves with subulate point, pea green, leaves coming off
stem alternately, and in two planes (1 north, next one south, next one
east, next one west etc). 'Spurs' on top of leaf stalks. Tendrils from
stalk/stem junction, and later, side-shoots.

You can almost see the leading tendril move - duing the summer when one
vine was growing very fast, in fifteen minutes the tendril at the top
moved through an arc of 180° as it looked for something to strangle.

/snip/

Last time I spoke to them they were very unhappy about losing mycology
to Kew. I'll have to try them on some specimens of fungi next time I
find something I think is interesting.

I wonder how many enquiries they get per month? I really don't know but I
also wonder how much of their staff they can afford to dedicate to ID
requests. Just a thought...

Well, the British Museum probably aren't any better off.

Old 14-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
On 26th July I sent a number of what I thought were easy questions to
Kew. Yesterday, I received a reply.

It seems date palms will survive outside in a sheltered spot, but need
to be wrapped up in the winter against cold winds and frosts.

They don't know what a granadillo is, though some of my English
dictionaries do.

If your granadillo is the same as my grenadello, then it is what we call
passion fruit in South Africa.

Tamarind: big, leguminacae, and not hardy. (As I guessed)

They don't know what amarulas are. Am I spelling it correctly? (also
seen as merula and something else, but I've lost the

Marula. The fruit of which ferments on the tree. It is loved by many
animals in and near the Kalahari. Baboons and elephants, in particular, get
inebriated in the appropriate season.
See the video "Beautiful People"

Lemon question was answered by urg in early September.

*AND* I enclosed SAE.

Generally,

Kew v. urg: score = 4 - 1 to urg

Franz

Old 14-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Marula. The fruit of which ferments on the tree. It is loved by many
animals in and near the Kalahari. Baboons and elephants, in particular, get
inebriated in the appropriate season.
See the video "Beautiful People"

Ta.

Video? How? I haven't a vijo or a haunted fishtank innit.

Old 14-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:01:45 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

On 26th July I sent a number of what I thought were easy questions to
Kew. Yesterday, I received a reply.

snip
Lemon question was answered by urg in early September.

*AND* I enclosed SAE.

Generally,

Kew v. urg: score = 4 - 1 to urg

urg seems to be more on-track than the (mostly) US garden group, but I
have found it's usually unproductive to ask a number of questions in
one post. If you query about A, B, C, and D, a few will respond about
B, and many know something about C, and the thread quickly becomes
all-C discussion. I've found it more productive to post direct
questions on a single topic. And if it isn't answered, ask again.
Old 14-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Marula. The fruit of which ferments on the tree. It is loved by many
animals in and near the Kalahari. Baboons and elephants, in particular, get
inebriated in the appropriate season.
See the video "Beautiful People"

Ta.

Video? How? I haven't a vijo or a haunted fishtank innit.

However, this newsgroup does have an inebriated baboon, who cross
posts nonsense to many groups.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-12-2003, 04:13 PM
LordSnooty

On 14 Dec 2003 15:44:09 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Marula. The fruit of which ferments on the tree. It is loved by many
animals in and near the Kalahari. Baboons and elephants, in particular, get
inebriated in the appropriate season.
See the video "Beautiful People"

Ta.

Video? How? I haven't a vijo or a haunted fishtank innit.

However, this newsgroup does have an inebriated baboon, who cross
posts nonsense to many groups.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Is that the same one that had you put in your place when you used to
brag about being untouchable when bringing C.AC into disrepute? LOL

Don't hold a grudge I'm sure he has forgotten what a prat you were
already, if you're lucky.

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.801% richest people in the world.
There are 5,951,930,035 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 48,069,965
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.
Old 14-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Victoria Clare

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in
:

I wonder how many enquiries they get per month? I really don't know
but I also wonder how much of their staff they can afford to dedicate
to ID requests. Just a thought...

Well, the British Museum probably aren't any better off.

Most museums have specific resources devoted to ID-ing weird stuff that is
brought in off the street by the general public. It's part of the public
service remit, (or it used to be when I did my museum studies postgrad
course in 1995).

Often there's a day when whatever curator pulled the short straw sits in a
booth and tells endless Aunty Marys that her granny's flatiron is certainly
interesting, but probably not valuable, and unfortunately the museum
already has one in the collection...

Kew as a botanical gardens probably has a different tradition.

Victoria