Old 24-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Data protection Act

The message
from "Roy Jones" gobbled a top posted unedited
oneline insult

Idiot!

(snip)

Turkey! I recommend a hot oven and frequent basting. You probably
don't need reminding to stuff yourself first.

Janet.
Old 24-12-2003, 10:46 PM
martin

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:17:46 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

Sorry Martin but how can a "Can of worms" like this be of topic

It hasn't a lot to do with gardening.
I don't recall a prosecution.
It was used as a poor excuse by the Humberside Police.
Doing a search in the Guardian I found that it's used as an excuse
about twice a year.
I suspect that the person who used it will lose his job, if he doesn't
do the decent thing and resign first.
The same excuse was then used for the reason that an old couple died
of cold. The real reason they died is that they were poor and nobody
gave a toss about them. Apparently we can expect 2000 deaths like this
a week each time the temperature drops below zero.
I don't think anybody posting here has to worry about the DPA.
I assume that people are on your mailing list because they asked to be
put there. I would ask to join them except I can foresee the
consequences of having your dahlias mailed from Wales and disappearing
somewhere between you and me.
I do admire your flowers on your site even if I can't have some from
you. :-)

Merry Christmas David.
--
Martin

Old 24-12-2003, 11:04 PM
martin

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:34:59 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Roy Jones" gobbled a top posted unedited
oneline insult

Idiot!

(snip)

Turkey! I recommend a hot oven and frequent basting. You probably
don't need reminding to stuff yourself first.

Don't forget the Christmas spirit and the bat wings :-)
--
Martin
Old 24-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Franz wrote in message after

"David wrote in message
"...........Actually, no, it isn't. You are not a data holder under

either
of the two Acts if you simply reply to a message. If you disagree,

please
post or Email a reference to the section of the Act that makes it
illegal........"

Actually the reference came from a programme on Radio 4 today dealing

with
the above act, and it was given as one of the lesser known anomalies

of
the
act, when they were stressing the need for it to be radically revised.

The act stinks with anomalies. Even the address list which Outlook

Express
keeps for my personal use is not supposed to hold data on any person for
more than 30 days. In principle every user of OE should registrer with

the
Data Protection Registrar.

I thought it was only relevant to businesses

You should be so lucky!

like David's not to private
individuals or we would all be in trouble with our Christmas Cards lists
etc. which cannot be the idea of the act.

The whole act is a total dogs' dinner. And I bet it will not be truly clear
and enforcesble even after they have another tinker at
it.

Franz

Old 24-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Zizz" wrote in message
snip

That's beside the point and trivial ... this is what the data protection

act
does and what we have to thank for.

It would have been nice if you had let us know what it is that's beside the
point and trivial. You have shorn so much context that I have not the
foggiest idea of what you are addressing.

Franz

Old 24-12-2003, 11:33 PM
David Hill

".......The same excuse was then used for the reason that an old couple died
of cold. The real reason they died is that they were poor and nobody gave a
toss about them. Apparently we can expect 2000 deaths like this a week each
time the temperature drops below zero........."

Please check your facts, they were not poor and were well able to pay.
Their problem was that they were OLD.
Had they been poor and in receipt of benefit-- other than pension--- they
may well have been on the "at risk register"
Social Services could have been alerted without disclosing the fact that
they hadn't paid their bill, but in this day and age when everyone is
running scared of doing anything that may leave them open to any action for
failing to observe every petty rule and regulation ----- most of which no
one understands properly, everyone keeps their head down and waits for
someone else to do it.

Just remember that this whole mess was foisted onto us by Europe, and yet
again like mindless zombies (or with this group in mind..........a load of
cabbages) we go along with it without the application of common sense.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

DPA was used as a very poor excuse for police incompetence in the
Humberside Police Force. It was quite clear that the DPA does not
apply in this case.

The Humberside dibble claim to have taken legal opinion.

They have to be absolutely scrupulous about adhering to the law
(criminal law especially) and whatever your gut feeling is about the
stupidity of some legislation, they have to heed legal opinion -
especially in an area so easily checked.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 25-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Zizz

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Zizz" wrote in message
snip

That's beside the point and trivial ... this is what the data protection

act
does and what we have to thank for.

It would have been nice if you had let us know what it is that's beside

the
point and trivial. You have shorn so much context that I have not the
foggiest idea of what you are addressing.

Franz

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Old 25-12-2003, 09:32 AM
martin

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:31:53 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

Just remember that this whole mess was foisted onto us by Europe,

It was? Odd that there is no sign of any equivalent here.

UK legislation is written by UK civil servants if the wording is poor
that is entirely the fault of those who word the law and those who
approve it.
I see nothing wrong with the concept of not allowing all and sundry to
collect personal information about people. It is often misused as you
must have noticed.
I am currently the victim of an ISP that built and preserved a file
on me. Long after I terminated the contract, an Italian ISP company
that bought the ISP is trying to get payments claiming that they have
no record of me having terminated the contract 3 years ago.

--
Martin

Old 25-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Zizz" contains these words:

It would have been nice if you had let us know what it is that's beside

the
point and trivial. You have shorn so much context that I have not the
foggiest idea of what you are addressing.

Franz

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Franz is right (in this instance....) I hadn't a clue about which of the
forty odd items left unexpired in this thread, or indeed, earlier ones
which have gone, you were replying to so I deleted your comment and
moved on.

Old 25-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Sorry Martin but how can a "Can of worms" like this be of topic

It hasn't a lot to do with gardening.
I don't recall a prosecution.
It was used as a poor excuse by the Humberside Police.
Doing a search in the Guardian I found that it's used as an excuse
about twice a year.
I suspect that the person who used it will lose his job, if he doesn't
do the decent thing and resign first.
The same excuse was then used for the reason that an old couple died
of cold. The real reason they died is that they were poor

Not so! The reason was simple forgetfulness associated with advancing age,
combined with an inhumane gas supply company.

Old 25-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message

Just remember that this whole mess was foisted onto us by Europe,

I doubt it. I had to deal with it nearly two decades before the time of the
Maastricht Treaty.

Franz

Old 25-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Zizz" wrote in message
snip

That's beside the point and trivial ... this is what the data

protection
act
does and what we have to thank for.

It would have been nice if you had let us know what it is that's beside

the
point and trivial. You have shorn so much context that I have not the
foggiest idea of what you are addressing.

Franz

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, balls.

Franz

Old 25-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:

DPA was used as a very poor excuse for police incompetence in the
Humberside Police Force. It was quite clear that the DPA does not
apply in this case.

The Humberside dibble claim to have taken legal opinion.

They have to be absolutely scrupulous about adhering to the law
(criminal law especially) and whatever your gut feeling is about the
stupidity of some legislation, they have to heed legal opinion -
especially in an area so easily checked.

Perhaps they might consider sacking their legal advisor, just in case
another booby like this occurs?

If they had disregarded theit legal advice, which no doubt cost them a lot
of money, they would probably have solved the case much more quickly, thus
saving themselves money which might have helped the progress of other cases.
The worst that could have happened would be that they might have had their
knuckles formally rapped with a cotton wool covered ruler. But they would
have emerged from the issue with considerably more honour.

Franz