Old 01-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Mike

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

You say the 'younger' inhabitants? How young? I was in our Garden Centre
today and noticed a stand of 'Children's Garden Tools', why not start or
emphasise more the 'Younger' ones and even start a section for them and
invite Mum or Dad to join in as well? If the majority only have a small
garden do planned evenings/weekends on 'The Handkerchief Garden' and hold a
competition.

Add Social Evenings into your calendar with 'Bangers and Mash' Evenings,
these evenings can be fund raising events for your Society so ask them to
bring a prize for a Raffle. Not Horticultural or Gardening themed, but we
hold these fund raising evenings and think nothing of making £200.00 or more
and have a good evening.

"Take over" (with permission of the Council or whoever own them) any small
public gardens or flower beds and get people who don't normally have an
interest in gardening, to 'help' you to make a display of these beds. (Not
my idea, I got roped into doing the beds around the War Memorial and the
'Horse Trough' Flower bed)

Hold a Village in Bloom contest. The people who are going to take part
register now and the Judging is ........... you decide now so they have
something to go for. A Cup and a Certificate to keep AND, you will find your
local garden centre/nurseries will donate tokens as prizes, tie all of this
up with your local council, they 'might' pay for advertising and/or leaflets
to be printed/ distributed.

If you want to get the whole village involved there has to be something
which will appeal to ALL, like a "100 Club" with £500.00 worth of prizes
over the year 'run by the Horticultural Society'. (Just about to launch the
same thing here as a start to a £500,000.00 Fund Raising scheme for the
local 'Open Space/Sports Field'. BTW you have to be registered with your
local council and this will cost you £35.00 and you need the leaflet about
the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976)

More ideas? Have a 'Brain Storming' session where every idea is thrown into
the pot, no matter how daft. 'Something' could be made of even the most
stupid idea.

Mike

Old 01-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:06:11 +0000, Jane Ransom wrote:

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

We have much the same problem here with our local rock gardening
club. Our membership is graying and slowly dwindling in number --
and it's hard to think what might reverse this trend. Certainly
there's no quick fix.

It might help to understand the social forces that lead to this
kind of thing. I can think of a few:

1. There are many more leisure time activities these days than
there used to be, and they compete with gardening for leisure
hours.

2. People have ~fewer~ leisure hours than they used to, and work
is much more stressful. Modern life is far more complex and
demanding than life fifty years ago (say). By the time a working
stiff gets home, he (or she) is so exhausted that the last thing
he wants to do is go outside and dig around in the soil. (Even
though it might relieve the stress and exhaustion.)

3. A well-established group can become too satisfied with itself
or too tightly knit a social group and thus not very welcoming to
new members.

4. Gardens are smaller these days so the tried-and-true ways of
gardening don't work as well as they used to.

I've thought that staging small one-day displays at local
shopping malls *might* attract potential new members, but with
something as specialized as rock gardening, perhaps one person in
a thousand would turn out to be a keener.

It's a nasty problem and I look forward with interest to other
replies.

(Incidentally, the Vancouver Island Rock and Alpine Garden
Society is the oldest rock garden club in the world, predating
the AGS by almost ten years! There's an older Swiss group that
maintains a true alpine garden up on an alp somewhere, but they
aren't the same kind of outfit and Don't Count.)

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 02-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Mike

3. A well-established group can become too satisfied with itself
or too tightly knit a social group and thus not very welcoming to
new members.

This may very well be the problem and it takes a very serious look at
yourself to see this and admit it. And it has to come from the top. How long
have the people on the committee been in office? Do they regard it as 'Their
Society'?

How are ideas received by the committee? "Oh we tried that once and it
didn't work" and then when you look back to when it was tried, it clashed
with the Coronation in 1953!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Old 02-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:29:39 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

To address the gender balance, I suggest you also post details of events at
the local pub ;-).

Gender balance is another BIG issue that I didn't mention in my
earlier contributions to this thread. I believe it's unhealthy
for a gardening group to become predominately one sex or the
other unless it's deliberately intended to be a single-sex
affair. When either men or women predominate, there's a tendency
for the group to become more sociable in a way that lessens the
focus on gardening. The women start doing female-competition
thingies, the men start doing golf thingies or something of the
sort. Neither is beneficial.

Also, the two sexes tend to have different styles, very broadly
speaking, and once the balance tips too far in one direction or
the other, the other side finds the situation repellent and stays
away. The situation becomes self-perpetuating and nearly
impossible to correct.

Yes, this may make me sound like some kind of horrible sexual
chauvinist, but I think it's a serious issue that one's group
ignores at their peril.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:39:47 +0000 (UTC), Mike wrote:

3. A well-established group can become too satisfied with itself
or too tightly knit a social group and thus not very welcoming to
new members.

This may very well be the problem and it takes a very serious look at
yourself to see this and admit it. And it has to come from the top. How long
have the people on the committee been in office? Do they regard it as 'Their
Society'?

Our local rock gardening group is fortunate in that its bylaws
require committee members to step down after three years. As a
result, nearly all members have been on the committee at some
point. Moreover, because they've struggled in the kitchen
themselves, they tend not to criticize the cooking of whoever's
currently on the hook!

A provision of this nature is recommended. Otherwise, one must
resort to devious Machiavellian tactics to ease long-term
incumbents off the committee, and such tactics are neither easy
to devise nor easy to carry out. And can take a long time to
bring to fruition.

How are ideas received by the committee? "Oh we tried that once and it
didn't work" and then when you look back to when it was tried, it clashed
with the Coronation in 1953!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, yes. Seen that too.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Mike

A provision of this nature is recommended. Otherwise, one must
resort to devious Machiavellian tactics to ease long-term
incumbents off the committee, and such tactics are neither easy
to devise nor easy to carry out. And can take a long time to
bring to fruition.

The Constitution of an Association has been in force since the IGM in 1998.
Various events and highlights have come to the fore and I have put various
propositions to change certain elements at the next AGM. I have pointed out
in no uncertain terms that these propositions will only be put forward at
the members request. All the members are aware of the problems and I have
received overwhelming support for the changes. There are a few
modifications, but in general the proposals will be for the members benefit
and will see a change of Committee members on a routine basis.

Now completely Off Topic of Gardening, but perhaps someone could clarify
something which has cropped up on another committee I am on.

Can, or should, a Chairman express his/her objection to a proposal 'and I
want nothing to do with it' because of his/her own feelings? The Sports and
Recreation Ground we are fund raising for is to have dogs banned. "In that
case it is not for ALL the residents, so I want nothing to do with it"

Your comments please.

Mike

Old 03-02-2004, 09:39 PM
JennyC

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

How about an exchange of labour - The oldies go round to the newbies and give
advice and demonstrate techniques. The newbies in return help the oldies with
some digging/pruning or other 'heavy tasks'

Try to get some younger speakers - someone who does not look or sound like Percy
Thrower :~))

Maybe a talk on modern garden design ?

Do you have immigrants in your vicinity ? They can be VERY keen gardeners !

Jenny

A bit of activity Mike United Kingdom 12 02-05-2005 12:51 PM
orchids with the most frequent activity J Fortuna Orchids 17 15-01-2005 10:08 PM
[IBC] website - using the list to urge other so engage in illegal activity Andy Rutledge Bonsai 2 01-02-2004 12:43 AM
So much activity! Geodyne Permaculture 4 13-12-2003 12:06 AM
Is there any UK activity in this group mark potter alt.forestry 11 20-03-2003 08:44 PM