Old 05-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Kay Easton

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Jane wrote in message
Thanks, everyone, for the replies.
Gives us a couple of new ideas to try out )
Wish us luck?

Oh I do, we have tried and tried to get some of the youth involved in our
new park that is to be built soon but they just never turn up to any
meetings. The Park committee are going to gatecrash the youth club in a
couple of weeks just to try to get some input from them, it's seems it's the
only way.

yes, it will be. On the whole, youngsters don't feel at home in
meetings. You need to go to them .. besides, it's a good way to
demonstrate your good faith and real intention to take their ideas on
board.

And remember, they are subject to more outside constraints like we are -
we never have to miss a meeting because our mother has demanded we tidy
our bedroom ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message after me and
"Jane wrote in message
[...]

Trouble is, we want the ones whose mothers couldn't care if they tidied
their rooms, couldn't care if they are in or not by midnight at 12 years
old, or what they are doing, just as long as they keep out of her hair.
They are the ones that are going to wreck this Park and we want them on
board to try to prevent it. But how?
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
371 data units completed.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:46 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

A thought prompted by my search (in other threads) for vegetable plants :-)

How about a scheme to loan/rent shelf space in a greenhouse for
non-greenhouse people to grow their seeds/seedlings in spring?

This would help the young and partially commited who would like to do some
gardening but are not likely to splash out on a greenhouse until they have
some idea of how useful it can be.

Also good for people without the space/money for a greenhouse.

This allows people to grow more exotic and unusual plants and vegetables for
maturing outside.

This could combine with a swap system for plants and seeds.

You could sign up to produce plants (veg. or bedding) and swap or sell - Joe
could produce some yellow cherry tomato seedlings, Mary could produce some
peppers and so on; each participant could share from the total plant stocks.

I presume gardening clubs already do much of this - the main idea is the
loan of greenhouse space to encourage people to grow their own seedlings.

(Ramble, ramble, ramble)

Cheers
Dave R

Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Cereus-validus

How about a nude frolic through the soccer court during half-time!!!

That will bring plenty of attention to your local 'Horticultural Society'!!!

You could try gene splicing a pussy willow and prince Charles and see if
there is any environmental impact from the results.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Kay wrote in message after me and
yes, it will be. On the whole, youngsters don't feel at home in
meetings. You need to go to them .. besides, it's a good way to
demonstrate your good faith and real intention to take their ideas on
board.

And remember, they are subject to more outside constraints like we are -
we never have to miss a meeting because our mother has demanded we tidy
our bedroom ;-)

Trouble is, we want the ones whose mothers couldn't care if they tidied
their rooms, couldn't care if they are in or not by midnight at 12 years
old, or what they are doing, just as long as they keep out of her hair.
They are the ones that are going to wreck this Park and we want them on
board to try to prevent it. But how?

Oh dear! You have a hard task on your hands!

What sort of park is it? Skateboard parks seem flavour of the month atm,
and kids are very knowledgeable about the sort of facilities they want.
We seem to be working quite well with a bunch of kids to design a
skateboard park for the park opposite us, and the leading lights of this
group I picked up on the delivery area behind the local shopping area,
where they had constructed an ad hoc park from pallets and industrial
waste.

But on the nature Park we look after we haven't managed Involvement, and
use a defensive strategy. We try not to create natural gathering areas -
kids like to gather in large groups for an al fresco drink, and are not
wedded to the idea of taking their litter home with them - so place
seats singly and far apart. And our seats are quite hard to break -four
1.5 inch thick, 6in wide planks bolted on to a metal frame which has the
lower 2ft embedded in buried concrete. Mechanical destruction doesn't
work, and it takes quite a big fire to get through the wood, which can
then easily be replaced.

We dismantle any dens which are made because for every group which makes
a den, there is another group which regards it as an ideal bonfire. But
we try to contact the group who made it, offer them the chance to
dismantle and retrieve any materials they want, and explain to them why
we have to remove it. If we can't find them, we leave a note pinned to a
nearby tree.

We also treat any kids we meet in the park in the same way as anyone
else - say hello to them, engage in conversation, explain we are
volunteers and not 'the council'.

Other than that, it's common sense. Best not to have litter bins, as
they are either set fire to or emptied into the pond. Notice boards have
to be designed with vandalism in mind - tough but mendable. Frequent
litter picks, because litter encourages more litter. Path edgings well
secured so they can't easily be removed.

And remember that vandalism is part and parcel of urban life - you could
avoid it by being out in the middle of nowhere, but you wouldn't have so
many people enjoying the park. Don't let yourself be disheartened.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 05-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message after me...

Trouble is, we want the ones whose mothers couldn't care if they tidied
their rooms, couldn't care if they are in or not by midnight at 12 years
old, or what they are doing, just as long as they keep out of her hair.
They are the ones that are going to wreck this Park and we want them on
board to try to prevent it. But how?

Oh dear! You have a hard task on your hands!

What sort of park is it? Skateboard parks seem flavour of the month atm,
and kids are very knowledgeable about the sort of facilities they want.
We seem to be working quite well with a bunch of kids to design a
skateboard park for the park opposite us, and the leading lights of this
group I picked up on the delivery area behind the local shopping area,
where they had constructed an ad hoc park from pallets and industrial
waste.

That's the point, I and some others including some kids I've managed to talk
to want more of a nature park but others have said a skateboard ramp,
multicourt, etc is needed, could we do both, possibly. Unless we get some
imput from the youth we are only trying to second guess what they want and
will use.
At the moment Sainsbury's has given us £1,000 towards trees. (One of our
guys works for them). We will be trying to get outside funding for any
equipment needed as our Council have run out of money for the project.

Thanks for the rest of the advice Kay.

-

Old 05-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

[...]

A skateboard park doesn't need to be huge. Most of them are very
artificial looking structures. There are some companies who will do more
natural looking ones, but they are more expensive.

Unless we get some
imput from the youth we are only trying to second guess what they want and
will use.

Yes, absolutely.

At the moment Sainsbury's has given us £1,000 towards trees. (One of our
guys works for them). We will be trying to get outside funding for any
equipment needed as our Council have run out of money for the project.

Remember councils tend to work on year by year budgets so this time of
year is a bad time. Things may change in April ;-)

Trees seem to be easy to get hold of, often free. It's useful to ask if
any money grants can be used towards bulbs and plants, especially once
you've got the outline and basic tree planting sorted.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 05-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Gina

(Website: this need not be complicated or cost anything. A templated

freeby gadget such as those provided by http://www.blogspot.com/ would be

ample, and very easy to manage.)

I've been using a site called posting station to manage my garden club. It's
been great because it has a system that keeps your club members in contact.
Kind of hard to explain.

http://postingstation.com

Good luck with the club!

A bit of activity Mike United Kingdom 12 02-05-2005 12:51 PM
orchids with the most frequent activity J Fortuna Orchids 17 15-01-2005 10:08 PM
[IBC] website - using the list to urge other so engage in illegal activity Andy Rutledge Bonsai 2 01-02-2004 12:43 AM
So much activity! Geodyne Permaculture 4 13-12-2003 12:06 AM
Is there any UK activity in this group mark potter alt.forestry 11 20-03-2003 08:44 PM