Old 03-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Jan

Default Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

Get someone hunky like Diarmud or that other chap, name escapes, me, blond,
oh yes, Sven, to give talks on various topics. They'd bring me a running!

Old 03-02-2004, 11:18 PM
JennyC

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

How about an exchange of labour - The oldies go round to the newbies and give
advice and demonstrate techniques. The newbies in return help the oldies with
some digging/pruning or other 'heavy tasks'

Try to get some younger speakers - someone who does not look or sound like Percy
Thrower :~))

Maybe a talk on modern garden design ?

Do you have immigrants in your vicinity ? They can be VERY keen gardeners !

Jenny

Old 03-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Jan
writes

Get someone hunky like Diarmud or that other chap, name escapes, me, blond,
oh yes, Sven, to give talks on various topics. They'd bring me a running!

We'd love to . . . but we don't have enough money!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Frogleg

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:06:11 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

No non-brilliant need apply? :-)

For adults, herbs seem to generate a lot of interest. Cooking,
medicinal (watch it!) properties, cosmetic uses, etc.

A program on easily-grown veg (lettuce, peas, beans, radishes) might
be appealing, especially considering the cost in stores.

Children (and their parents) may be attracted to things like bean
teepees and sunflower houses. See:

http://tinyurl.com/2e7pk

There are many veg and flowers that sprout reliably and return nearly
instant gratification for children. Also 'weird' veg, like yard-long
beans and strange squash and gourds.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Jane Ransom

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.
Gives us a couple of new ideas to try out )
Wish us luck?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Bob Hobden

"Jane wrote in message
Thanks, everyone, for the replies.
Gives us a couple of new ideas to try out )
Wish us luck?

Oh I do, we have tried and tried to get some of the youth involved in our
new park that is to be built soon but they just never turn up to any
meetings. The Park committee are going to gatecrash the youth club in a
couple of weeks just to try to get some input from them, it's seems it's the
only way.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
371 data units completed.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Jane wrote in message
Thanks, everyone, for the replies.
Gives us a couple of new ideas to try out )
Wish us luck?

Oh I do, we have tried and tried to get some of the youth involved in our
new park that is to be built soon but they just never turn up to any
meetings. The Park committee are going to gatecrash the youth club in a
couple of weeks just to try to get some input from them, it's seems it's the
only way.

yes, it will be. On the whole, youngsters don't feel at home in
meetings. You need to go to them .. besides, it's a good way to
demonstrate your good faith and real intention to take their ideas on
board.

And remember, they are subject to more outside constraints like we are -
we never have to miss a meeting because our mother has demanded we tidy
our bedroom ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

A bit of activity Mike United Kingdom 12 02-05-2005 12:51 PM
orchids with the most frequent activity J Fortuna Orchids 17 15-01-2005 10:08 PM
[IBC] website - using the list to urge other so engage in illegal activity Andy Rutledge Bonsai 2 01-02-2004 12:43 AM
So much activity! Geodyne Permaculture 4 13-12-2003 12:06 AM
Is there any UK activity in this group mark potter alt.forestry 11 20-03-2003 08:44 PM