Old 03-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Hops?

The message 6Do1c.2935$zu.469@newsfe1-win
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

No - not the proper stuff at all. Budweiser Budvar is the proper stuff, a
quality Czech "beer", along with Staropramen ("Star of Prague"). Both
absolutely delicious served cold on a hot summer's day, outside in the sun,
and both a million miles from the gnats' water which goes by the same name
in the States. I'm not anti-American by any means, I know some good people
over there, but "Budweiser" is not one of the better things to come out of
that place, IMHO . . .

I could introduce you to plenty of Transpondians who think the same way.

But NEITHER can compete with the Belgian "Kriek" beer . . . like the best
bitter and the best lager-beer you've ever tasted, all rolled into one, with
a kick like a rabid tyrannosaur (weighing in at 8% alcohol). Never managed
more than one at one sitting - not exactly a "session" beer. They do a
weaker version at a mere 6%, which is a cherry beer - sounds disgusting, but
again, it's like the nectar of the gods.

I rather like Chimay, (Belgian Trappist) and that weighs in at 6% and
9%. I like the stronger one - not because it is stronger. Try beer from
Scotland's oldest brewery, Traquair House. The main gates were locked
shut after Bonnie prince Charlie left the house, and the owners vowed
they should not be opened until his return. They are still locked shut.

More history. Before the days of breweries and various
customer-protection bodies, most towns had an Ale Conner to test the
fitness of the ale or beer. He would spread a puddle of it on a bench
and sit thereon in his leather trousers. If he stuck to the bench, the
beer wasn't properly brewed. (I kid you not!)

Lol . . . I met a girl once in a club who claimed her job was "beer tester".
I was disappointed to learn that it involved mass spectrometer analysis and
the like, and nothing more exciting. A cruel end to a budding romantic
interest. (only joking!)

Of course, in the 'olden days', people HAD to drink beer, as it was the only
sterile drink around. The Oriental peoples solved the problem by boiling
their water of course, and tea was "discovered" when a Chinese Emperor was
boiling his water, and a tea leaf accidentally fell in. Or so I hear!

Hmmm. the Chinese always were good at romantic stories, especially if
they could weave an emperor or two in.

Beer and tea - two wonderful drinks. Wouldn't it be terrible if we were all
the same!

I have about a dozen different (loose) teas in the kitchen.....

The "Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency" sounds right up my street! I may
well "check it out", as our American friends might say. It will go with

my
solar panels and wood pellet stove.

OK, here's something else then. Knowing how clay lump building blocks
were made led me to try something when my old man offered me seven sacks
of slack and dust from the coalshed.

I got several buckets of raw cowdung from my neighbours byre and mixed
it with the coaldust, trowelling the mixture into plastic flowerpots and
turning tem out like little black sandcastles. These I dried in the sun,
and they made a fantastic slow-burning fuel for my Parkray and my
Rayburn. It also works well with sawdust or chopped straw.

However, this might just be a nice thought, as I wouldn't think you have
too many dairy farms in Bury.

There are a few in Summerseat, actually, which is not far away, but being
the proud owner of a mountain bike only, I think I might have some problems
transporting the stuff to my house.

Hmmm. Yes. I must admit to having used my home-made wheelbarrow, which
had a BSA Bantam wheel on the front...

However, cycle trailers are easy to make and if you use small kiddycycle
wheels with proper bearings, easy to pull.

What I AM looking at is a "log maker" from the Centre for Alternative
Technology in Machynlleth, Wales, which presses old soggy newspapers into
"bricks", which you can then dry out and burn on a fire. As the wood pellet
stove I'm planning on getting only takes wood pellets (they have 'liquid'
properties, and feed automatically), I'm planning on using the "paper logs"
for my outside fire (made out of bricks from a building which was itself
demolished by a fire), which I have a few times every year, to burn all the
garden rubbish etc. It's a nice 'earthy'-type ritual to have every so often,
I find - quite cathartic in a way. Who knows - I might even have some home
brew to drink at the next one!

Look in the freeads or E-Bay. A lot of newspaper rollers were sold when
they first came out in the '60s or '70s, and they didn't catch on. They
used to turn up in charity shops for a few shillings. I understand
they're not all they're cracked-up to be.

On the subject of combustion (pyromaniacs of the world - ignite!), one thing
I will have when I get my wood pellet stove which I don't have at the moment
is a hot water cylinder - my boiler's a gas combi at the moment. Presumably
I would need to brew my beer next to the hot water cylinder, to get the heat
. . . ?

You can buy thermostatically controlled low wattage immersion heaters. I
prefer to put these in a water-jacket round the brewing vessel as small
amounts of yeast are continually killed on the surface of an immersion
heater, and can taint the beer.

Thanks again, all!

Best of luck, then. And remember - since Mr. Marples was Home Secretary,
it's legal. (I was a 10-year-old criminal.......)

Ah! So it's not true that they're starting younger these days, then . . . ?
;-)

Nope. I was taught how to make dandelion winr and parsnip wine by our
housekeeper, a country lass. (With parental acquiescence!)

If I get it all together, I'll most certainly keep you up to date on it! My
house has had huge changes since I first joined this group - garden walls
covered in camo netting, a yard full of pots, a bathroom full of 'silk' ivy
. . . I've even got a buch of seed packets with all sorts of nice things in,
ready to go. Sweetcorn, radishes, mangetout peas, turnips, rocket . . . the
list goes on! Even got a couple of blueberry bushes (well one of them is
more of a 'twig' than a bush, it doesn't look too good actually) - and an
apple tree with three varieties grafted on. I'll take some photies in a
couple of months and post them up on my homepage - "before URG and after"!

Looking forward to that.

Before it got urgled: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsejung.jpg

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 06-03-2004, 04:31 AM
Geoff Rousell

"Andy Hunt" wrote in

...snip

Right - Goldings it is, then!

...snip

I'm a bit surprised this thread didn't include a mention of some of the new
"dwarf" hop varieties which are emminently suitable for home-growing. I
grew some "primadonna" last year a single "hill" in a large-ish pot,
climbed nicely to around 7 feet and produced plenty of cones. Marshalls
also have a variety called "Diva" this year...

Geoff
(homebrewer turned gardener...)

Old 06-03-2004, 04:34 AM
MikeMcG

Geoff Rousell wrote
I'm a bit surprised this thread didn't include a mention of some of the new
"dwarf" hop varieties which are emminently suitable for home-growing. I
grew some "primadonna" last year a single "hill" in a large-ish pot,
climbed nicely to around 7 feet and produced plenty of cones. Marshalls
also have a variety called "Diva" this year...

Geoff
(homebrewer turned gardener...)

I take it you brewed with them then?
any good?
the only dwarf variety I know of with proven brewing track record is
First Gold - mediumly bitter with quite a pleasant orangey fruit
taste/aroma.

Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 03:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 12:44 PM