Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Hops?

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

[snip]

You'd need a really decent-sized planter - I'd say about 500 cm, and
feed it well with something like Tomorite.

I have never come across 15 ft planters.
They must cost a bundle to fill with potting compost.

Franz

Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Mike Crossland

"martin" wrote in a message:
It's what the Blacksheep Brewery in Masham uses, so they must o.k. :-)
I do recommend a conducted tour of the brewery, if you are in the
area.

--
I know it well, but I can't remember the owner's name. Before he took the
Masham brewery over, wasn't he responsible for inventing the original

M.C.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Nick Wagg

"Mike Crossland" wrote in message

"martin" wrote in a message:
It's what the Blacksheep Brewery in Masham uses, so they must o.k. :-)
I do recommend a conducted tour of the brewery, if you are in the
area.

--
I know it well, but I can't remember the owner's name. Before he took the
Masham brewery over, wasn't he responsible for inventing the original
'Theakstone's Old Peculiar'? Now that WAS a beer, and a half!

Paul Theakston, who left the family brewery and Old Peculier (note "e" not
"a") when it was
acquired by Scottish and Newcastle breweries. Then set up Black Sheep
Brewery (and ale)
See http://www/blacksheepbrewery.com/history/history1.cfm if you're
interested.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 02-03-2004, 11:49 PM
martin

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:32:55 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

snip
Best of luck with the beer. Oh, a word of warning: if you are going to
use any sugar in the brew, check on one of the proprietory beer kits how
much they recommend. ON NO ACCOUNT exceed this as a ratio to the malt
they use, as too great a proportion of sugar in a malt brew will lead to
severe headaches and can kill you.

snip

Are you sure about this?

Yes. I've been brewing beer since 1955.

Mary from Leeds But how do you know it can kill you if it hasn't
done so yet?

voice of reason from Franz .....

a strong feeling of deja vu blended with Watney's Red Barrel rat
poison.

Given that sugar is turned to alchohol by the yeast, which won't ferment
above a certain concentration of alchohol, all you risk AFAIK is that not
all the sugars released by mashing are turned to alchohol.
This will tend to give you a sweet beer, but not AFAIK a deadly brew.

I'm talking about proportions, not concentrations. You mustn't overstep
the adjuncts (sucrose, dextrose, fructose etc) when brewing with
maltose.

What is this fatal product of which you speak?

Products. The higher alcohols, 5 ppm of which can be fatal in some cases.

ISTR in my student days beefing up malt extract beers with additional sugar,
and never killed anyone.

It depends how much you drink. Around 1970 two blokes made fice gallons
of stout and beefed it up with a lot of sugar. They drank it over a
weekend: one died and the other was vegetablised.

back on topic :-)

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 02-03-2004, 11:49 PM
martin

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:46:49 -0000, "Mike Crossland"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in a message:
It's what the Blacksheep Brewery in Masham uses, so they must o.k. :-)
I do recommend a conducted tour of the brewery, if you are in the
area.

--
I know it well, but I can't remember the owner's name.

Surprisingly, Paul Theakston http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/
You need something like this in your allotment shed
http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/beers/brewprocess.cfm

Before he took the
Masham brewery over, wasn't he responsible for inventing the original
'Theakstone's Old Peculiar'? Now that WAS a beer, and a half!

Theakstons have got their brewery back from Scottish and Newcastle.
Theakston's beer didn't fit in with their image :-)

Old 02-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Andy Hunt

An overwhelming deluge of good advice on beer making! I am most grateful to
all (and sundry, of course!)

Goldings hop sounds interesting - especially if it is (at least partially)
responsible for Theakston's Old Peculier. Would I be correct in thinking
that it is a golden colour, when it's on the vine? That might look very
attractive . . .

Those here who assume that I am a complete novice in this department would
be 100% correct. I made some wine once, from a kit, but that's the nearest I
have ever got to this stuff. The advice about using mashed malt sounds good,
my gut feeling is that fresh is best, but I may have to begin with the
extract, just to be on the safe side. The fewer things to worry about, the
better, in the first instance, at least! I can introduce more 'variables'
one at a time.

WRT growing plots full of barley and milling it . . . well, I think you may
have me mistaken for someone who doesn't live in an end-terrace in Bury and
has to grow his veg in tubs! And you're right, Martin . . . I'm not after
the Heineken spring water. In fact, I'm not even going to go for the "pure"
bottled tap-water currently being peddled commercially by Coca-Cola (I kid
you not! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3523303.stm )

I suppose that when I wrote "from scratch", what I should have written was,
"not from a kit"! I appreciate the history lesson in brewing, though - all
stuff I was unaware of previously. If I know the background, it will stay in
the back of my mind, and give me something to aim for . . .

The "Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency" sounds right up my street! I may
well "check it out", as our American friends might say. It will go with my
solar panels and wood pellet stove.

I will take the advice about the sugar - I don't fancy any of those complex
alcohols. If I was after that effect, there's always meths, or Esso
unleaded, or something, I suppose!

And if hops ARE related to cannabis (thanks Kay!), that would explain the
"smoked ale" they were serving at the Trackside over Christmas. Made from
smoked hops - absolutely delicious! ;-)

To be honest, this friend of mine and I got to know each other originally
because we both had an interested in, well, let's say 'indoor gardening'.
But cannabis has turned out to be a very dangerous 'gateway' plant . . . now
I spend all my money on gardening tools, and I've had to remortgage my
house. My family have left me because I spend all my time putting up
trellises and on internet gardening groups. I've checked in to a 'rehab'
centre, but always end up talking about their collection of rubber plants
and umbrella trees . . .

Only joking. But our conversations DO seem to have moved onto gardening in
general, and it's the same 'home grown' spirit which has inspired him to
suggest brewing, I think. So I think it may have to be a 'joint' effort . .
.. ;-)

Thanks again, all!

Andy

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk, anyway?" - Arthur Dent
"Ask a glass of water" - Ford Prefect

From Douglas Adams' "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Old 03-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

[snip]

You'd need a really decent-sized planter - I'd say about 500 cm, and
feed it well with something like Tomorite.

I have never come across 15 ft planters.
They must cost a bundle to fill with potting compost.

But they molish fine wigwams of hop-poles innit.

Either that or divide by ten - I would have said 18" but no hooter
understands proper measurements any more.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 03:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 12:44 PM