Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Hops?

"martin" wrote in message
snip

pssst! want to buy the same type of water that Heineken use?

Was that the sound of you producing it? :-))

I thought not :-)

Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 PM
martin

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:25:15 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
snip

pssst! want to buy the same type of water that Heineken use?

Was that the sound of you producing it? :-))

I thought not :-)

You've won a week in Zoetewoude.

[urea joke in here somewhere]

This made me smile - from their website

"People are as essential to Heineken as hops and yeast."
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article r_P0c.2479$zu.351@newsfe1-win, Andy Hunt
writes

I didn't realise it was a 'climbing' type plant. I think I may have just the
place for it! My mate says that "challenger" is a good strain of hop,
apparently. But then, he claims that the hop is a close relative of
cannabis, so I'm not really sure how to take his advice!

He's right about that. Hop - Humulus lupulus, and cannabis - Cannabis
sativa, are both in the Cannabaceae family, and so are related at the
same level as, say, pears and apples, or peas, beans and clover.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 PM
James Fidell

In article ,
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Then when you mash it, the maltose has to be extracted within a very
tight temperature band, about ±1°F for lager malt and ±1°C for English
type beer malt.

Here is where Rusty/Jaques and I part company.
Real home brewers use fresh malt, and can make outstanding beer with home
mashing. You can get mashing tubs with electric heaters and thermostats
which can turn the art into more of a science. You may not get the same
extraction rate as a commercial brewery, but then you just accept that you
are going to be a little less efficient and allow for that in the
quantities.

Indeed. I used to use malt extract for making my own beer, but now work
entirely from crushed malt and (IMHO) the results are far superior.
Most of the home brewing books I've read suggest that the mash can be
carried out in an unheated, insulated plastic brewing bucket, so I
cannot believe that the mash is that temperature sensitive.

Just checking though the closest book to hand, it suggests an acceptable
temperature range for mashing of between 62C and 69C.

It is much more sensible to buy spray-dried malt extract.

The (not good but vaguely competent) brewer in me recoils from this heresy
:-))

Ditto.

James

Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 PM
martin

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:35:21 +0000 (UTC), James Fidell
wrote:

Indeed. I used to use malt extract for making my own beer, but now work
entirely from crushed malt and (IMHO) the results are far superior.
Most of the home brewing books I've read suggest that the mash can be
carried out in an unheated, insulated plastic brewing bucket, so I
cannot believe that the mash is that temperature sensitive.

Just checking though the closest book to hand, it suggests an acceptable
temperature range for mashing of between 62C and 69C.

That's quite hot, you wouldn't be able to put your hand in it for
long.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes

Hop (Humulus lupulus) is a relative of the mulberry. Hemp used to be
considered to be a relative of the mulberry, but is now more commonly
placed in its own group.

So when did that happen? Stace - the standard flora of the british
isles, has Cannabis and Humulus in the Cannabinacae, and Morus and Ficus
in Moraceae.

Blamey, Fitter and Fitter, Wild Flowers of Britain and Ireland, pub
2003, also has Humulus and Cannabis in the same family.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 03:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 12:44 PM