Old 24-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Guy King

Default Hedging

The message
from Henriette Kress contains these words:

I've had lots of fun eating ripe apples while they were still hanging
on to their trees ... not that I'd do that these days, nope, not me.
That? Nah, that must've been somebody else.

Trying to make it look like a really large wasp was responsible?

--
"Bother", said Skipweasel as he molished a little jig.

Old 24-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from older molly contains these words:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Holly is actually LESS likely to take eyes out than apparently 'safer'
plants. The reason is that it is the dead or sharp twigs that are
the danger and not prickles. Children should be encouraged to fall
into nettlebeds and holly hedges, regularly, to teach them that not
everything is cuddly. Don't let them learn on pyracantha or many
berberis, or they might well lose an eye.

Chillis are also good for teaching children not to eat unidentified
berries. Every garden should have a pot of those nice, brightly
coloured things to attract determinedly disobedient toddlers into
a safe and effective learning experience :-)

But you don't understand. Today's children are not tough and hardy as
we were. They are delicate things to be mollycoddled, and pampered, not
allowed to climb trees or play near dangerous holly, or collect nasty
dangerous conkers or walk to school in all weathers like we did.Poor
little sods, they are missing a lot of fun.

Crossposted to The Shed as Gooeybait......

........though I know what you mean.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 24-03-2004, 05:19 PM
David Hill

"...........I've had lots of fun eating ripe apples while they were still
hanging on to their trees ... not that I'd do that these days, nope, not me.
That? Nah, that must've been somebody else ........"

That must be as hard as apple bobbing.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Henriette Kress hetta @ spamcop.net wrote:

Hola urg, how's life?

Beginning to stop bemoaning the weather and sowing seeds :-)

Dunno that berberis is all that dangerous - it's downright nice compared
to hawthorn. Roses are good teachers, though, especially the wild ones.

Not Berberis vulgaris - that has needle-like spines 1-2" long. And
I mean REALLY like needles. Hawthorn is cuddly by comparison.

And I think every kid should overeat on apples and plums at least once,
preferably somebody elses. In good apple and plum years the garden
owner(s) might make angry noises, but that should just be so's the kids
can think they've done something dangerous, because there's much too
much too much too much fruit.

I've had lots of fun eating ripe apples while they were still hanging
on to their trees ... not that I'd do that these days, nope, not me.
That? Nah, that must've been somebody else.

I recommend unripe bananas for a really good bellyache :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.