Old 24-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Hedging

In article ,
Henriette Kress hetta @ spamcop.net wrote:

Hola urg, how's life?

Beginning to stop bemoaning the weather and sowing seeds :-)

Dunno that berberis is all that dangerous - it's downright nice compared
to hawthorn. Roses are good teachers, though, especially the wild ones.

Not Berberis vulgaris - that has needle-like spines 1-2" long. And
I mean REALLY like needles. Hawthorn is cuddly by comparison.

And I think every kid should overeat on apples and plums at least once,
preferably somebody elses. In good apple and plum years the garden
owner(s) might make angry noises, but that should just be so's the kids
can think they've done something dangerous, because there's much too
much too much too much fruit.

I've had lots of fun eating ripe apples while they were still hanging
on to their trees ... not that I'd do that these days, nope, not me.
That? Nah, that must've been somebody else.

I recommend unripe bananas for a really good bellyache :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 24-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Henriette Kress

Guy King wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote:

I've had lots of fun eating ripe apples while they were still hanging
on to their trees ... not that I'd do that these days, nope, not me.
That? Nah, that must've been somebody else.

Trying to make it look like a really large wasp was responsible?

Nah, trying to make it look like an apple eaten all around on the tree.

'course, now that I've been doing that for years, peoples faces aren't
as watchworthy anymore, when they notice them.

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 24-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Henriette Kress writes:
| (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| Nick: I was happy to see an old acquaintance but am no longer, because
| of the way you quote.

I am afraid that you are under a serious delusion about how posting
(and spamming) works. See below for what YOU got wrong, and some
clues about how to fix it!

| In article ,
| Henriette Kress hetta @ spamcop.net wrote:
|
| You do realize that spammers pick those ^ up? You also realize there's a
| REASON people spamtrap their addresses, namely that they're sick and
| tired of spam?

Well, of course, but I also realise how many people fail to do it
properly - which does rather account for the way that it doesn't
work for them!

| _You_ might not be sick of spam, but then, you might not have received
| thousands of junk mail, hundreds MBs (yes) of spam and viruses a month.
| There's a limit and I reached it a year or so ago.

I usually receive dozens a day, and have reached hundreds.

| 'course, I used to have my email address out there for all and sundry
| to admire, for years and years ... not anymore. That address is now
| _completely_ useless and also completely ditched. Composted. Buried
| deep. Forgotten, recycled, the letters reused for other electronic bits.

I responded using one of my newsreaders' Followup facility, which
took your Email address intact from the message you had posted.
What you have missed is that postings are based on Email, and there
is an envelope (which is used for actual delivery etc.) outside the
header that you see. It used not to be like that under Unix, but I
shall omit the history lesson :-)

Anyway, that envelope is as usable by spambots as the header - it
is just an option in your newsreader not to show it by default. For
example, here is the default output from trn:

From: Henriette Kress
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Hedging

And here is the selected output when using the verbose option:

From: Henriette Kress
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds
. . .

So, if you want to play the trick of hiding your address, you will
have to ensure that the Reply-To field is ALSO set to your mangled
address.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

From: Henriette Kress
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

And here is the selected output when using the verbose option:

Old 24-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

From: Henriette Kress
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

And here is the selected output when using the verbose option:

Old 24-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

From: Henriette Kress
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

And here is the selected output when using the verbose option: