Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
JennyC

Default Ivy and stuff

"Dcjtee" wrote in message
How best can I treat this?

Just cut the stem at ground level. It will die in a few weeks.

Dave

The top growth will die of, but the roots will resprout.........
Jenny

Old 02-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Rod

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:58:15 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Dcjtee" wrote in message
How best can I treat this?

Just cut the stem at ground level. It will die in a few weeks.

Dave

The top growth will die of, but the roots will resprout.........
Jenny

And it'll look horrible in the meantime - a lazy way of doing the job,
and it doesn't stay done that way. As for the op's bindweed, I've been
doing some tentative experiments in places where I'm happy to
accomodate Ivy but where there's other stuff amongst it that I want
rid of. Ivy is hard to kill with Glyphosate based weedkillers so I've
been spraying the nettles etc and afi can see the Ivy has come to no
harm so we're going to try it on a bigger scale this season.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Old 02-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Jim W

Paul Stephens wrote:

Hi

I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
rampant. How best can I treat this?

http://www.funnyphoto.plus.com/garden/garden1.jpg

http://www.funnyphoto.plus.com/garden/garden2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Paul

(I'm in Hertfordshire))

Just reading through the thread, looks like you're pretty well sorted..
Ivy is GREAT stuff, just very advantageous/successful, so much so that
it sometimes upsets humans

That said its an incredibly good air purifier (according to NASA
research) and a superb bird and bee plant (it flowers on its 'adult'
growth which is very different from the climbing spreading type..

It 'looks' like it may have gone arborescent (adult 'tree like' ) on the
tree.. Take a look at the leaves, and see if they look like this:
http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/cou...rt400/juv1.jpg

If you did want to try and replace it with something more interesting,
why not introduce some 'cultvated' Ivies.. of which there is a wide
choice:

http://www.fibrex.co.uk/ and see Hedera Collection

Cheers

Jim
North London, England, UK

Old 02-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Brian Watson

"Paul Stephens" wrote in message
Hi

I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
rampant. How best can I treat this?

Move.

Next question?

:-))

--
Brian
"Don't be afraid of playing the fool, or of letting go, or of not being

Old 02-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:32:43 +0100, Rod
wrote:

Ivy is hard to kill with Glyphosate based weedkillers so I've
been spraying the nettles etc and afi can see the Ivy has come to no
harm so we're going to try it on a bigger scale this season.

Glyphosate doesn't work well (or at all) on plants with 'waxy' leaves.
It needs to be absorbed by the foliage to work on the innards, and ivy
leaves (and Vinca major) are just too repellent.

The only way to eradicate ivy is to pull it all up. It can be
'controlled' by pruning or chopping off, as in the case of patio
encroachment.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Martin Sykes

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Glyphosate doesn't work well (or at all) on plants with 'waxy' leaves.
It needs to be absorbed by the foliage to work on the innards, and ivy
leaves (and Vinca major) are just too repellent.

The only way to eradicate ivy is to pull it all up. It can be
'controlled' by pruning or chopping off, as in the case of patio
encroachment.

I think it works well on ivy if you stamp on the leaves/crush them with a
spade first to break the surface of the leaves. That lets the chemicals get
in.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff? I Love Lucy Lawns 22 06-06-2006 03:11 AM
Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM