Old 23-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Paul Eggleton

Default Rhubarb

Hi All,

Last year we moved into a new house, and at the bottom of the garden we
have a large Rhubarb plant. This spring it has exploded with growth and
seems to be growing a large flower. Knowing very little about Rhubarb
I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations about whether to let
it flower or not? Also, when is it best to pick the Rhubarb and how
often can I get away with? Long storks? short? green? red?

Pls help me with my ignorance,

Paul.

Old 23-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Paul Eggleton

ha ha! just found http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ from the earlier Rhubarb
thread.

Soz for the interruption - that should keep me busy.

Old 23-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Paul Eggleton
writes

ha ha! just found http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ from the earlier Rhubarb
thread.

Soz for the interruption - that should keep me busy.

Just in case anyone else wishes to know; take off any flower heading
rhubarb stems (usually circular) as near to their base as possible, and
as soon as they are seen. That will encourage more edible stems to grow.

Outdoor grown rhubarb, whether for fresh eating or for freezing is at
its best during April and May. It can still be picked quite a bit later
than that, but as the year progresses, the stems become more stringy,
tougher and higher in oxalic acid content.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul Eggleton
writes

Hi All,

Last year we moved into a new house, and at the bottom of the garden we
have a large Rhubarb plant. This spring it has exploded with growth and
seems to be growing a large flower. Knowing very little about Rhubarb
I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations about whether to let
it flower or not?

Most people say don't let it flower. Must admit I've never tried leaving
the flower.

Also, when is it best to pick the Rhubarb and how
often can I get away with? Long storks? short? green? red?

If you look carefully at the plant it should have one or more crowns,
each of which is the focus for a number of stalks.
Grasp a stalk firmly and pull it sharply and twist at the same time, and
it should come away easily from the crown. Always leave one full sized
leaf on each crown, but otherwise pick as often as you want, and freeze
some as well.

Stop picking in early July - this gives the plant chance to build up
energy supplies for next season's growth, and the oxalic acid levels in
the stalk are higher later in the year.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 23-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:41:58 +0100, Alan Gould wrote:

Outdoor grown rhubarb, whether for fresh eating or for freezing is
at its best during April and May.

Eh? I don't think ours has dared poke its head above ground level yet!

--
Cheers Dave.
Nr Garrigill, Cumbria. 421m ASL. pam is missing e-mail

Old 23-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Kay Easton

In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:41:58 +0100, Alan Gould wrote:

Outdoor grown rhubarb, whether for fresh eating or for freezing is
at its best during April and May.

Eh? I don't think ours has dared poke its head above ground level yet!

he's from down south. Their climate is different there ;-)

Our rhubarb emerged about two days ago
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:41:58 +0100, Alan Gould wrote:

Outdoor grown rhubarb, whether for fresh eating or for freezing is
at its best during April and May.

Eh? I don't think ours has dared poke its head above ground level yet!

he's from down south. Their climate is different there ;-)

Our rhubarb emerged about two days ago

North Lincolnshire is hardly 'down south', we actually live north of
Spurn Head. We have been pulling rhubarb for about three weeks now and
we froze our first batch a few days ago.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 24-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Rhiannon S

Subject: Rhubarb
From: Alan Gould
Date: 24/04/2004 06:05 GMT Daylight Time

North Lincolnshire is hardly 'down south', we actually live north of
Spurn Head.

South starts at Berwick p
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 24-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:41:58 +0100, Alan Gould wrote:

Outdoor grown rhubarb, whether for fresh eating or for freezing is
at its best during April and May.

Eh? I don't think ours has dared poke its head above ground level yet!

he's from down south. Their climate is different there ;-)

Our rhubarb emerged about two days ago

North Lincolnshire is hardly 'down south', we actually live north of
Spurn Head. We have been pulling rhubarb for about three weeks now and
we froze our first batch a few days ago.

We've just had rhubarb and ginger crumble for supper. Ours has been
pullable for a couple of weeks.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Old 24-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

In article , Rhiannon S
writes
North Lincolnshire is hardly 'down south', we actually live north of
Spurn Head.

South starts at Berwick p

For Londoners North starts at Watford, but this is a UK group.

Berwick, and points north, are currently part of the UK.

Janet (posting from the UK)
Old 27-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:41:58 +0100, Alan Gould wrote:

Outdoor grown rhubarb, whether for fresh eating or for freezing is
at its best during April and May.

Eh? I don't think ours has dared poke its head above ground level yet!

he's from down south. Their climate is different there ;-)

Our rhubarb emerged about two days ago

North Lincolnshire is hardly 'down south', we actually live north of
Spurn Head. We have been pulling rhubarb for about three weeks now and
we froze our first batch a few days ago.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

And south lincs the rhubarbs been available for about 5 weeks. Gone mad
this year!!!!
Old 28-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Colin Brook

In article , Christopher Norton
writes
North Lincolnshire is hardly 'down south', we actually live north of
Spurn Head. We have been pulling rhubarb for about three weeks now and
we froze our first batch a few days ago.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

And south lincs the rhubarbs been available for about 5 weeks. Gone mad
this year!!!!

That seems to be the trend this year - normally down in this rather warm
southerly spot we expect to pull the first rhubarb right at the
beginning of March (recent years). This year it was the last week in
January and we've been pulling it ever since. Tastes good too!
Regards, Colin
--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)

Tel:+44(0)1962-714030 Fax:+44(0)8701641293 Mobile:07976258703