Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Brian

Default Pull Starting.

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.
Quite simply; is it possible for a normal[whatever that means!] lady to
pull-start any garden machinery?.
With the best of intentions and expectations I have seen many try but
none succeed~~ unless I have only seen the failures.
Locally, a couple of, very able and knowledgeable, ladies started a nursery
and before they migrated to larger motors with self starters used to whistle
for the village idiot, when their machines stalled mid-field! Hence I got
exercise and calluses!!
They would even re-fuel without stopping the engines!
This week, however, I saw a girl using a very powerful, heavy duty,
electric strimmer around the banks [hedges] of a field. Cutting old brambles
and nettles with ease. She had a generator in wheelbarrow that had a pull
start but could be pulled 3 or 4 times very gently and then released to
start by lifting a catch.
I have never seen this system before. Was most impressed.
Regards, respect and best wishes. Brian.'flayb' to respond.