Old 16-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Brian

Default Pull Starting.

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.
Quite simply; is it possible for a normal[whatever that means!] lady to
pull-start any garden machinery?.
With the best of intentions and expectations I have seen many try but
none succeed~~ unless I have only seen the failures.
Locally, a couple of, very able and knowledgeable, ladies started a nursery
and before they migrated to larger motors with self starters used to whistle
for the village idiot, when their machines stalled mid-field! Hence I got
exercise and calluses!!
They would even re-fuel without stopping the engines!
This week, however, I saw a girl using a very powerful, heavy duty,
electric strimmer around the banks [hedges] of a field. Cutting old brambles
and nettles with ease. She had a generator in wheelbarrow that had a pull
start but could be pulled 3 or 4 times very gently and then released to
start by lifting a catch.
I have never seen this system before. Was most impressed.
Regards, respect and best wishes. Brian.'flayb' to respond.

Old 16-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Brian" wrote in message
I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.
Quite simply; is it possible for a normal[whatever that means!] lady

pull-start any garden machinery?.
With the best of intentions and expectations I have seen many try but
none succeed~~ unless I have only seen the failures.

snip

Sorry - rest of post obscured by red mist!

I am quite capable of pull-starting my mower, rotovator, chain saw and
brush-cutter. My wimp of a husband can manage the mower but leaves the rest
to me.
In my prime I could also kick start a temperamental pre-unit Triumph
Bonneville - but his Lordship found it all a bit too threatening, so I took
up pottering about in a Volvo.

Old 17-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Brian" contains these words:

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.
Quite simply; is it possible for a normal[whatever that means!] lady to
pull-start any garden machinery?.

I've been doing it for decades (mower and brushcutter), no problem. So
do many of my friends and all the female professional gardeners I know.

Janet.

Old 17-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 16 May 2004 15:37:38 +0000 (UTC), Henry wrote:

the initial pulls must wind up a coil spring, sounds very good,
mowers should have them.

On some more recent B&S engines you only need to manually wind the
spring the first time you start the engine(*) after that the engine
winds it back up.

(*) Or if the thing doesn't start...

As for ladies pull starting the other half can do the lawn mower (4
stroke, will fire very easyly even when cold) but not the strimmer (2
stroke, from cold needs the best part of a dozen brisk pulls and
fiddling with choke etc)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 17-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Derek Moody

On Sun, 16 May 2004 15:50:08 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.
Quite simply; is it possible for a normal[whatever that means!] lady to
pull-start any garden machinery?.

It would be a result for any of the old hags in here to pull anything!

..

************************************************** ***********************************
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill

The Eagle Has Landed.

/T /I
/ |/ | .-~/
T\ Y I |/ / _
/T | \I | I Y.-~/
I l /I T\ | | l | T /
T\ | \ Y l /T | \I l \ ` l Y
__ | \l \l \I l __l l \ ` _. |
\ ~-l `\ `\ \ \\ ~\ \ `. .-~ |
\ ~-. "-. ` \ ^._ ^. "-. / \ |
.--~-._ ~- ` _ ~-_.-"-." ._ /._ ." ./
--. ~-. ._ ~-" "\\ 7 7 ]

^.___~"--._ ~-{ .-~ . `\ Y . / |
__ ~"-. ~ /_/ \ \I Y : |
^-.__ ~(_/ \ ._: | l______
^--.,___.-~" /_/ ! `-.~"--l_ / ~"-.
(_/ . ~( /' "~"--,Y -=b-. _)
(_/ . \ : / l c"~o \
\ / `. . .^ \_.-~"~--. )
(_/ . ` / / ! )/
/ / _. '. .': / '
~(_/ . / _ ` .-_
/_/ . ' .-~" `. / \ \ ,z=.
~( / ' : | K "-.~-.______//
"-,. l I/ \_ __{---._(==.
//( \ ~"~" //
/' /\ \ \ ,v=. ((
.^. / /\ " }__ //===- ` Roy!/ASC
/ / ' ' "-.,__ {---(==-
.^ ' : T ~" ll
/ . . . : | :! \\
(_/ / | | j-" ~^

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´
\..............(
\.............\..

GOOD SIGS wanted. APPLY WITHIN.

Please Note: I am not the forger-troll Derek Moody who posts with

and who continues to stalk me, ensuring he is at the top of my hit list
and who also published child porn websites and kinky sex outlets in the UK, not to mention deviant holidays.

You've not heard of the Geneva Convention, then?

Our enemies sure haven't.

Old 17-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.
Quite simply; is it possible for a normal[whatever that means!] lady to
pull-start any garden machinery?.

Ask Charlie Dimmock!

Absolutely. Perhaps males have a lower frustration threshold, because
I've seen *them* try 50 times before starting a motor. Women just
won't put up with such nonsense. If it doesn't start after 5 or 6
pulls, there's something wrong with it and it needs to be fixed.

It is generally accepted that males have greater 'upper body strength'
on average, which could account for some difference in the force of
the pull.

BTW, a gasoline mower will start more easily if it's brought out of a
shed and left in the sun for half an hour or so before trying to
start.
Old 17-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Derek Moody
URL:mailto
Nothing at all. Pete the Troll is forging my name.

It would be a result for any of the old hags in here to pull anything!

and he's clearly frustrated.

Cheerio,

Old 17-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip

Be still and pray homage to Derek.Moody who posted this on 17 May 2004...

In article , Derek Moody
URL:mailto
Nothing at all. Pete the Troll is forging my name.

It would be a result for any of the old hags in here to pull anything!

and he's clearly frustrated.

We're enjoying your little kook-out here in demon.local. Could you
subscribe to our group and give us personal attention?

--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
VISIT ME ONLINE AT: http://peterparsnip.blogspot.com/

"Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with
the rod, he shall not die." -- Proverbs 23:13 (AV)
Old 17-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Derek Moody

On 17 May 2004 14:31:03 +0100, go@fish (Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip)
wrote:

Be still and pray homage to Derek.Moody who posted this on 17 May 2004...

In article , Derek Moody
URL:mailto
Nothing at all. Pete the Troll is forging my name.

It would be a result for any of the old hags in here to pull anything!

and he's clearly frustrated.

We're enjoying your little kook-out here in demon.local. Could you
subscribe to our group and give us personal attention?

I disagree with this post. We should maintain standards, we don't just
want anyone turning up there could be trouble!

Cheerio.
..

************************************************** ***********************************

Old 17-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Rod

wrote:

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.
Quite simply; is it possible for a normal[whatever that means!] lady to
pull-start any garden machinery?.
With the best of intentions and expectations I have seen many try but
none succeed~~ unless I have only seen the failures.

Better not say that in the hearing of some of the lady gardeners I've
worked with.

I have never seen this system before. Was most impressed.
Regards, respect and best wishes. Brian.'flayb' to respond.

There was something different but equally useful on the Hatz 2 stroke
diesels fitted to Howard Gem rotavators in the late 1960s. British
engines of that time had a decompression lever that was either on or
off - flick the lever over with the spare hand you don't have while
turning the engine with the other two, they were brutes on a cold
morning. With the Hatz you had a control which turned by about 3/4 of
a turn. You then turned the engine and you could use both hands
because you didn't need to do anything else. As you turned the engine
the decompressor indexed round progressively increasing compression
'til the engine fired.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 17-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Robert E A Harvey

Frogleg wrote
If it doesn't start after 5 or 6
pulls, there's something wrong with it and it needs to be fixed.

My old mower never used to start with less than half a dozen pulls.
When the old engine finally died - the valve seats fell out - I bought
a new Briggs & Stratton. When I get it out of the shed after the
winter it starts second pull. Every time after that till I put it
away it starts half way through the first pull. My dog could start
it.

Frankly, it continues to amaze me.
Old 17-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Sarah Dale

Brian wrote:

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.
Quite simply; is it possible for a normal[whatever that means!] lady
to pull-start any garden machinery?.

Of course!!! I can quite happily pull start my petrol lawn mower (B&S
whatever it is engine, 18" blade rotary). Mind you I did make sure I could
before I bought it ;-)

There is a knack to it, rather than strength.

You're not the only bloke to have asked this though - while out mowing the
lawn last year, I had a bloke pull his car over and stop to ask me about
the mower and "Do you think my wife will be able to start it?".

Sarah
Old 17-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Mark Allison

Brian wrote:

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.

It's interesting to note that not a single woman (or man), has mentioned
that they can't start their mower. Perhaps all women can?

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.markallison.co.uk

Old 18-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Mark Allison home@mark
allison.no.tinned.meat.co.uk writes
Brian wrote:

I have absolutely no intention of being controversial, bigoted or
sexist~~ please believe. I have great respect for all lady gardeners.

It's interesting to note that not a single woman (or man), has mentioned
that they can't start their mower. Perhaps all women can?

Well, here's another!!
I regularly pull start both our cylinder mower and our fly mower.
So I guess the answer to Brian's question is . . yes

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.