Old 08-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Can someone identify this please?

"curiosity" [email protected] wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:46:35 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

On 7/8/04 3:46 pm, in article

,
"curiosity" [email protected] wrote:

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:51:53 +0100, "Spider"

wrote:

snip

Hi Curiosity,
It looks very like a Pittosporum to me, possibly tenuifolium sp.
I don't know the ideal pruning time, sorry. It does have *tiny*

flowers,
but they're not really showy in most Pittosporums. (P. tobira

has good,
scented flowers, but is borderline hardy).
Perhaps someone else know when to prune Pittosporum?
Spider

many thanks Spider, I think you've got it. Oddly enough I had a

pittosporum
in
my last garden and now you mention it there is a striking family

resemblance.
That was variegated and much smaller leaf but the same hearty

untroubled
(slightly boring) plant.

Careful. That leaf looks much too big to be a Pittosporum -

Magnolia is
more likely, even if not certain. Do leave it one full year before

doing
any attacking.

you've got me worried now, it is significantly larger than the

pittosporum I
knew - on the other hand my 'leaf' picture is a close-up so the size

may be
misperceived.

Moral: Include a ruler in a picture in which real size is
significant.

I found this picture of P.tenuifolium

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/parks/TheEnvi...enuifolium.asp

It's the crinklyness of the leaves which I recognise here. Doesn't

magnolia
have quite a flat leaf?

Franz

Old 08-08-2004, 10:02 PM
curiosity

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 08:56:25 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Hi Curiosity,
It looks very like a Pittosporum to me, possibly tenuifolium sp.
I don't know the ideal pruning time, sorry. It does have *tiny* flowers,
but they're not really showy in most Pittosporums. (P. tobira has good,
scented flowers, but is borderline hardy).
Perhaps someone else know when to prune Pittosporum?
Spider

many thanks Spider, I think you've got it. Oddly enough I had a

pittosporum in
my last garden and now you mention it there is a striking family

resemblance.
That was variegated and much smaller leaf but the same hearty untroubled
(slightly boring) plant.

Next time you see a pitto in flower go near it at night, nearly all are
highly scented, and of course they make great hedging plants! However I am
see a few more posts than I was and I note several people don't think its a
pitto at all, so best not treat it to a hair cut yet :~)

no, thank you Charlie, I've become blissfully patient about this. I'm quite
excited by the prospect of them being magnolia (there are 2).
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
David Hill

Sacha said ".....There you are! First lesson in gardening - patience; says
she who was born with none at all! If you have two of these lovely shrubs
you're a lucky gardener - sit tight.."

Reminds me of the old verse
Patience is a virtue posses it if you can,
It's never found in Woman
and seldom in a man.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Sacha

On 9/8/04 10:15 am, in article , "David
Hill" wrote:

Sacha said ".....There you are! First lesson in gardening - patience; says
she who was born with none at all! If you have two of these lovely shrubs
you're a lucky gardener - sit tight.."

Reminds me of the old verse
Patience is a virtue posses it if you can,
It's never found in Woman
and seldom in a man.

Huh! Think of all those patient women who walk straight up to the very
thing their man swears has disappeared or otherwise become invisible!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 PM
curiosity

apologies if this is becoming a bore but I was poking around wondering if there
might be a name-tag at the bottom of the plant - it turns out not but I did
notice that for what seems like a modestly-sized shrub, the main stem is
extremely stout (2-3ins dia.) with lesser but not-insignificant other stems also
emerging at ground level - similar to the way a hazel grows. Given that the
plant, as I've mentioned, is roughly spheroid and about 5 feet dia and that its
base structure is vastly stouter than the similar volume but slenderly built
pittosporum I remember, might this be further reinforcement for the magnolia
theory?
Old 13-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Magwitch

curiosity muttered:

Full marks to Sacha and others who picked magnolia stellata!
The previous owner has finally forwarded me some details of some of the plants
-
amongst others, these were named and you were absolutely right.

She suggests pruning for shape (I don't know how old these are but they've
been
kept quite small for a plant that seemingly can grow to10 feet). Does this
require cutting back older growth to encourage new or can it just be
approached
as a short back and sides?

I believe that you prune internal crossing shoots down to an outward-facing
bud for more light to penetrate and more flowers...