Old 07-08-2004, 10:14 AM
curiosity

Default Can someone identify this please?

Newbie needs help with garden just acquired

I'd be grateful if someone could identify from these pictures I've just taken of
the shrub and its leaf.
It's a pleasant but uneveventful looking orb of about 5 feet in diameter. I'd
like to cut it back into a smaller sphere but don't know what is acceptable (or
when it should be done). Perhaps it produces flowers and I should wait?

help most appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/whatsthis

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/leaf
Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"curiosity" [email protected] wrote in message
Newbie needs help with garden just acquired

I'd be grateful if someone could identify from these pictures I've just

taken of
the shrub and its leaf.
It's a pleasant but uneveventful looking orb of about 5 feet in diameter.

I'd
like to cut it back into a smaller sphere but don't know what is

acceptable (or
when it should be done). Perhaps it produces flowers and I should wait?

help most appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/whatsthis

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/leaf

Looks like a nasty old laurel to me.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Spider

curiosity [email protected] wrote in message
Newbie needs help with garden just acquired

I'd be grateful if someone could identify from these pictures I've just

taken of
the shrub and its leaf.
It's a pleasant but uneveventful looking orb of about 5 feet in diameter.

I'd
like to cut it back into a smaller sphere but don't know what is

acceptable (or
when it should be done). Perhaps it produces flowers and I should wait?

help most appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/whatsthis

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/leaf

Hi Curiosity,
It looks very like a Pittosporum to me, possibly tenuifolium sp.
I don't know the ideal pruning time, sorry. It does have *tiny* flowers,
but they're not really showy in most Pittosporums. (P. tobira has good,
scented flowers, but is borderline hardy).
Perhaps someone else know when to prune Pittosporum?
Spider

Old 07-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Kay

In article , curiosity
writes
Newbie needs help with garden just acquired

I'd be grateful if someone could identify from these pictures I've just taken of
the shrub and its leaf.
It's a pleasant but uneveventful looking orb of about 5 feet in diameter. I'd
like to cut it back into a smaller sphere but don't know what is acceptable (or
when it should be done). Perhaps it produces flowers and I should wait?

help most appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/whatsthis

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/leaf

Looks like a magnolia - if so, masses of large showy white flowers in
spring when there isn't much else around. Give it a full year to do its
stuff before you attack it.
--
Kay

Old 07-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Kay

In article , GOOD GOLLY MISS
mOLLY writes

"curiosity" [email protected] wrote in message
.. .
Newbie needs help with garden just acquired

I'd be grateful if someone could identify from these pictures I've just

taken of
the shrub and its leaf.
It's a pleasant but uneveventful looking orb of about 5 feet in diameter.

I'd
like to cut it back into a smaller sphere but don't know what is

acceptable (or
when it should be done). Perhaps it produces flowers and I should wait?

help most appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/whatsthis

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/leaf

Looks like a nasty old laurel to me.

No, definitely not laurel unless something's gone *very* wrong with the
colours in that photo ;-)

Laurel has *dark* green shiny leaves with pointed tips and without the
gentle undulations shown in the photo.

--
Kay

Old 07-08-2004, 03:46 PM
curiosity

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:51:53 +0100, "Spider" wrote:

[...]

many thanks Spider, I think you've got it. Oddly enough I had a pittosporum in
my last garden and now you mention it there is a striking family resemblance.
That was variegated and much smaller leaf but the same hearty untroubled
(slightly boring) plant.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:46 PM
curiosity

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:08:10 +0100, Kay wrote:

In article , GOOD GOLLY MISS
mOLLY writes

"curiosity" [email protected] wrote in message
. ..
Newbie needs help with garden just acquired

I'd be grateful if someone could identify from these pictures I've just

taken of
the shrub and its leaf.
It's a pleasant but uneveventful looking orb of about 5 feet in diameter.

I'd
like to cut it back into a smaller sphere but don't know what is

acceptable (or
when it should be done). Perhaps it produces flowers and I should wait?

help most appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/whatsthis

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/leaf

Looks like a nasty old laurel to me.

No, definitely not laurel unless something's gone *very* wrong with the
colours in that photo ;-)

Laurel has *dark* green shiny leaves with pointed tips and without the
gentle undulations shown in the photo.

I think you're right on that Kay, I've got a bay laurel here - significantly
different and great in spagbol.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Kay

In article , curiosity
writes
you've got me worried now, it is significantly larger than the pittosporum I
knew - on the other hand my 'leaf' picture is a close-up so the size may be
misperceived. I found this picture of P.tenuifolium

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/parks/TheEnvi...e/PittosporumT
enuifolium.asp

It's the crinklyness of the leaves which I recognise here. Doesn't magnolia
have quite a flat leaf?

No, they have a gently wavy leaf like the photo - at least Magnolia
stellata does.
--
Kay

Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

Hi Curiosity,
It looks very like a Pittosporum to me, possibly tenuifolium sp.
I don't know the ideal pruning time, sorry. It does have *tiny* flowers,
but they're not really showy in most Pittosporums. (P. tobira has good,
scented flowers, but is borderline hardy).
Perhaps someone else know when to prune Pittosporum?
Spider

many thanks Spider, I think you've got it. Oddly enough I had a

pittosporum in
my last garden and now you mention it there is a striking family

resemblance.
That was variegated and much smaller leaf but the same hearty untroubled
(slightly boring) plant.

Next time you see a pitto in flower go near it at night, nearly all are
highly scented, and of course they make great hedging plants! However I am
see a few more posts than I was and I note several people don't think its a
pitto at all, so best not treat it to a hair cut yet :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Dave Poole

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:59:27 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

And to top my own post, I'm guessing a Magonolia stellata.

You are absolutely right Sacha - I've just had a look and it is not a
Pittosporum or anything remotely related It could easily be a hybrid
M. stellata and M. kobus as well (Magnolia x loebneri). The plant
looks as though it might have been quite heavily pruned in the past
year or so - if not it is M. stellata looking just a bit chunky and
utterly happy, if it has it is probably the larger growing M. x
loebneri and still obviously very happy.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 08-08-2004, 10:26 AM
curiosity

many thanks for all replies - even the mistakes are educational - for the
moment the statistics clearly favour a magnolia and I'm content to heed the
advice to caution until this can be confirmed. I gather pittosporum is an
evergreen so if the plant loses all it's leaves then it clearly wasn't one. (I
see magnolia can be either decid. or everg.)
I'll report back if I get a definitive pronouncement.