Old 02-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Don

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:38:53 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

In message , Don
writes
I have just bought myself a 6 x 8 Elite Craftsman greenhouse which,
after something of a struggle, I have now finished erecting.
There is no provision for locking the door or fixing a padlock, though I
believe Elite do sell such a thing.

Not worth it. Though it is worth considering how to lock down the door
and any opening windows so that they cannot be sprung out by winter
storms. And also consider strengthening the cross struts on the corner
that faces into the prevailing wind. That was what did for mine...

What sort of security do amateur gardeners usually install in or on
their greenhouses?

None.

Regards,

The door looks a bit vulnerable now that you mention it. I'll follow
your advice, thank you.

Don
Old 02-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Don

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:17:37 -0000, "Tom Atkinson"
wrote:

I use a photo of my wife on the greenhouse
as a deterrent.!!
Tom Atkinson

Great! Send me a copy. grin

Don
Old 02-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Tom Atkinson

A beautiful blonde-we have mice in our house so she has taken my mouse mat
for them!!
"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

I use a photo of my wife on the greenhouse
as a deterrent.!!
Tom Atkinson

Great! Send me a copy. grin

Is she organic?
--
Martin

Old 02-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Phil L

Don wrote:
:: On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:19:47 -0000, "Nick Gray"
:: wrote:
::
::: Hi Don,
:::
::: I don't have an Elite greenhouse, however, with my greenhouse
::: I've drilled a hole in the top aluminium runner, to the left of
::: the door when shut (but this depends on which way your door
::: opens). I then feed the shackle of my padlock through this and
::: snap it shut, preventing the door from being opened. I also
::: squirt a little oil in the lock to prevent it sticking (although
::: you can now get weatherproof padlocks).
:::
::: HTH
:::
::: Cheers
:::
::: Nick
::
:: Thanks, Nick, that sounds like just the thing for me. I'll look to
:: see if it will work on my greenhouse.
::
:: Perhaps you would give me your opinion on another matter on which
:: I've been posting to a DIY ng.
:: The erection instructions for my greenhouse say it should be
:: anchored to the ground by drilling through the steel flange on the
:: base into the concrete slabs on which it stands.
:: I can see that I will have trouble in getting the screws in as
:: well as drilling the holes. I've been provided with 10 x 2" wood
:: screws & rawl plugs to be placed three each side of the 8' x 6'
:: base and two each end. Since I can't budge the greenhouse with
:: just the 3mm toughened glass in the roof. I can't imagine the wind
:: shifting it with the side glass fitted as well. I'm wondering if
:: there isn't a heck of a lot of overkill here and how many
:: gardeners do anchor their greenhouse down. My garden is quite well
:: sheltered by hedges and is on the leeward side of the house..

Don't underestimate the effect a severe gale can have on a greenhouse!

If you've not already glazed the lower parts it will be easier to get the
drill in and drill through the steel, change the bit to a masonry one and
drill into the concrete and get it screwed down...if you have already glazed
it, it could prove to be a bit of a headache, unless it's easy to just take
a few of the panes out to do the job?

Old 02-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Nick Gray

snipped
Perhaps you would give me your opinion on another matter on which I've
been posting to a DIY ng.
The erection instructions for my greenhouse say it should be anchored to
the ground by drilling through the steel flange on the base into the
concrete slabs on which it stands.

What size paving slabs? If you drill into small ones you might loose one or
two to cracking. To give yourself the best chance of not cracking them, use
a new or sharpened masonary drill bit, (diamond tipped if you've got one),
set your drill to hammer and try not to take too long drilling the hole, or
keep stopping to blow out the dust, as this blunts the bit pretty quickly.

I can see that I will have trouble in getting the screws in as well as
drilling the holes. I've been provided with 10 x 2" wood screws & rawl
plugs to be placed three each side of the 8' x 6' base and two each end.

That sounds about right, but make sure you use brass screws, as it's going
to be in such a damp area, steel screws will rust.

Since I can't budge the greenhouse with just the 3mm toughened glass in
the roof. I can't imagine the wind shifting it with the side glass
fitted as well. I'm wondering if there isn't a heck of a lot of overkill
here and how many gardeners do anchor their greenhouse down. My garden
is quite well sheltered by hedges and is on the leeward side of the
house..

Although it sounds like you've got the greenhouse in a pretty sheltered
position, you still have a large surface area for the wind to push against,
think of the sails of a yacht and you've got a good idea of how your
greenhouse could behave in a strong wind.

Having said all of that, I think most metal greenhouses (those that aren't
on a brick base) are secured using ground anchors, which are set into
concrete and bolted to each corner of the greenhouse.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 03-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Phil L
writes
Don wrote:

:: Perhaps you would give me your opinion on another matter on which
:: I've been posting to a DIY ng.
:: The erection instructions for my greenhouse say it should be
:: anchored to the ground by drilling through the steel flange on the
:: base into the concrete slabs on which it stands.

That is very good advice and essential if the greenhouse is to survive
winter storms. Otherwise it will be shifted violently by gusty winds and
glass will break then strong wind can get into the structure it lifts
glass into the air and things get extremely dangerous.

:: I can see that I will have trouble in getting the screws in as
:: well as drilling the holes. I've been provided with 10 x 2" wood
:: screws & rawl plugs to be placed three each side of the 8' x 6'
:: base and two each end. Since I can't budge the greenhouse with
:: just the 3mm toughened glass in the roof. I can't imagine the wind
:: shifting it with the side glass fitted as well. I'm wondering if
:: there isn't a heck of a lot of overkill here and how many
:: gardeners do anchor their greenhouse down. My garden is quite well
:: sheltered by hedges and is on the leeward side of the house..

Don't underestimate the effect a severe gale can have on a greenhouse!

Even anchored down properly the thing is still vulnerable to aluminium
struts buckling if the wind speed gusts exceed 90mph.

It is also a bit worrying that you have a partially glazed greenhouse.
They are at their most fragile when part assembled. The structure relies
on the glass for part of its rigidity and can be a lot more easily
crippled by wind loading when partially assembled. Always work on a
still day.

If you've not already glazed the lower parts it will be easier to get the
drill in and drill through the steel, change the bit to a masonry one and
drill into the concrete and get it screwed down...if you have already glazed
it, it could prove to be a bit of a headache, unless it's easy to just take
a few of the panes out to do the job?

It is definitely worth anchoring down well. Otherwise it is only a
matter of time before a winter storm annihilates it.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 04-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Nick
Gray writes
snipped

I can see that I will have trouble in getting the screws in as well as
drilling the holes. I've been provided with 10 x 2" wood screws & rawl
plugs to be placed three each side of the 8' x 6' base and two each end.

That sounds about right, but make sure you use brass screws, as it's going
to be in such a damp area, steel screws will rust.

I'd use Stainless steel screws which are pretty easily available
nowadays, easier to drive in as less likely to mangle the head.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 04-11-2004, 02:45 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Martin Sykes
writes
"Don" wrote in message
. ..
I have just bought myself a 6 x 8 Elite Craftsman greenhouse which,
after something of a struggle, I have now finished erecting.
There is no provision for locking the door or fixing a padlock, though I
believe Elite do sell such a thing.
What sort of security do amateur gardeners usually install in or on
their greenhouses?

Don

What's the point? Anyone who wanted to steal something could just smash a
pane of glass or two and grab what they wanted.

The noise of smashing glass might attract attention. Having to smash
glass rather than just walk in may well be enough to deter the casual
thief.

If they really wanted to get in it's easy to remove the glass from most
greenhouses - it's only held in with a few clips.

After all, if you follow that argument, why bother with window locks?
;-)

Because house are worth getting into, most greenhouses aren't. Though
the plants in some would be the main thing - even from a sentimental POV
even if not worth a great deal
Old 04-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Don
writes
I was mainly concerned with keeping children at bay. I remember, when I
was a lad, my grandfather had a greenhouse and I used to..........well,
we won't go into that.

I think it's better to let them in to nibble some toms or whatever, it's
one of the way's they will get to like the idea of gardening.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Kay

In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
In message , Kay
writes

The noise of smashing glass might attract attention. Having to smash
glass rather than just walk in may well be enough to deter the casual
thief.

After all, if you follow that argument, why bother with window locks?
;-)

Because house are worth getting into, most greenhouses aren't.

That's actually supporting my argument! ;-)
We bother with window locks even though 'all a thief has to do is smash
a pane of glass' - in other words, we consider having to smash glass a
deterrent in a situation where there's something worth stealing the
other side, so there's no reason to feel it wouldn't be a deterrent in
the greenhouse situation (except, as you've pointed out, the more
careful thief can remove a few clips)

--
Kay

Old 04-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Martin Sykes

"Kay" wrote in message

We bother with window locks even though 'all a thief has to do is smash
a pane of glass' - in other words, we consider having to smash glass a
deterrent in a situation where there's something worth stealing the
other side, so there's no reason to feel it wouldn't be a deterrent in
the greenhouse situation (except, as you've pointed out, the more
careful thief can remove a few clips)

3-point window locks on a modern window are worth it because if you've ever
had to break into a modern double-glazed house because you've lost your
keys, you'll know that it's a sledgehammer job to break one. Greenhouse
glass easily breaks from a carelessly kicked stone.

But I seriously think the best thing to do is to keep your tools somewhere
else. I suppose it's possible that someone would steal a plant but it's not
a common problem as far as I know. Any more than them digging them up from
the garden. Even expensive plants in the greenhouse wouldn't be much of a
draw assuming they could even identify them. I have yet to hear of a case of
a burglar leaving the TV/DVD/video/jewelry and taking the poinsettia instead
:-))

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 04-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Martin Sykes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
In message , Don
writes
I was mainly concerned with keeping children at bay. I remember, when I
was a lad, my grandfather had a greenhouse and I used to..........well,
we won't go into that.

I think it's better to let them in to nibble some toms or whatever, it's
one of the way's they will get to like the idea of gardening.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Best to go organic though if you've got kids eating the fruit without
washing it - like mine do. I get the impression that the kid in this case
was doing something more unpleasant than a bit of scrumping?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 04-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Kay

In article , Martin Sykes
writes

I suppose it's possible that someone would steal a plant but it's not
a common problem as far as I know.

It's quite common for newly planted shrubs to be stolen in some areas of
the country.

--
Kay

Old 04-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Klara

In message , Martin Sykes
writes
Best to go organic though if you've got kids eating the fruit without
washing it - like mine do. I get the impression that the kid in this
case was doing something more unpleasant than a bit of scrumping?

Around here, most of the village had put out lovingly carved jack'o
lanterns, representing also a new effort towards a spirit of
togetherness in the village. Lovely: until they were all smashed to bits
by some such kids....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 04-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Don

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:26:49 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

Best to go organic though if you've got kids eating the fruit without
washing it - like mine do. I get the impression that the kid in this case
was doing something more unpleasant than a bit of scrumping?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes

Honi Soit Qui Mal Pense

Don