Old 07-11-2004, 11:27 PM
will

Default Attracting birds

I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very keen to
attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.
I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes), climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful plant and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially welcome.

thanks

will

Old 08-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Franz Heymann

"will" wrote in message
I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very

keen to
attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing

currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.

If there is a mature sycamore in a 6m x 4 m garden, the rest of the
planting will surely have to be limited to shade-loving plants, unless
it is right in a N, NW or NE corner of the space. Where is the house
in relation to this?

I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes),

climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a

berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful

plant and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially

welcome.

If you really want to attract birds, there is nothing to beat a nut
container or two, slung from the sycamore and kept replenished right
through the year.

Franz

Old 08-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Kay

In article , will will.nospam
writes
I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very keen to
attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.
I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes), climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful plant and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially welcome.

The sycamore is going to limit your growing opportunities, blocking
light and making the soil under it dry, though all the things you
mention are OK for shade.

I find my R rugosa has more bird life than R moyesii - whether that's
the bigger hips or that it's nearer the feeders, I don't know.

You have fruit, but no obvious seeds. Lavender's good, but you'll be too
shady. Also things like teasel, thistles, grasses .. or you could just
try a nyjer feeder.

The other big food source is insects
and other creepy crawlies. Don't be too tidy - don't clear rotting
vegetation, be happy about piles of logs, heaps of stones and so on (and
obviously, don't use pesticides) - remember, birds are just one part of
a food chain.

And investigate the Garden Bird Watch at www.bto.org
--
Kay

Old 08-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Martin Sykes

"will" wrote in message
I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very keen
attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.
I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes), climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a
berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful plant
and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially welcome.

thanks

will

When you say 'middle of London', how built up is it? If there are any parks
near you, try sitting there for half an hour so you can find out what birds
are in your area. Then you can plan the planting to attract them. I've gone
for native hedging around most of my garden. with more ornamental shrubs
interspersed - hawthorn, blackthorn, holly. But the one which gets most
attention is the leycesteria (pheasant berry) which the blackbird loves.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 08-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Keith Hooker

Small birds are wary of predators so plants that give them cover are as
attractive to them as those that provide food. I have introduced Hebe's to
my garden and they are always full of birds, it may help that I grow Verbena
through them and they love the long stems.

I also have three feeders, one for peanuts, one for seed and one that I made
for feeding meal worms to robins - but the sparrows like them as well!

As others have said your big tree is going to limit what you can grow and
the aspect (direction the garden points) will also dictate your success as
most plants need access to direct sun at some time of day.

Keith

Old 08-11-2004, 12:21 PM
will

Thanks to v. helpful respondents so far

It's a front garden facing east, so will get some morning sun. Also the
crown of the tree has been lifted so it's not completely overwhelming. But
yes, I need ideas for dry shade.

I am also keen to encourage other wildlife (my equally small but sunny back
garden will be planted for bees and butterflies - tips also welcome here).
So yes, I will have a log pile and perhaps a 'creature tower' made from left
over building materials (I am currently building the house). There will be a
2nd floor balcony opening into the crown of the tree - a good place I guess
for feeders - or would these be better at ground level?

I like the look of a leycesteria, and would love to have blackbirds
visiting. But will this thirve in the dry shade? Likewise with the hebes?
What other bushes do birds like to sit in that will cope with these
conditions?

thanks

will

Old 08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"will" wrote in message
I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very keen

attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.
I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes), climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a

berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful plant

and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially welcome.

Pyracantha, berberis and rowan all produce berries which the birds love.
Also provide a bird bath as even in winter they need to bathe to keep
feathers in good condition to stay war, and they need to drink all year
round too. You could make a hanging feeder to suspend from a tree branch to
foil cats or other predators.
You might also consider planting some ornamental grasses as the seed heads
will provide food for finches and on a personal level I love the gentle "sh
sh sh" noise made by any slight breeze blowing through them.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:45 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Keith Hooker" wrote in message
Small birds are wary of predators so plants that give them cover are as
attractive to them as those that provide food. I have introduced Hebe's

my garden and they are always full of birds, it may help that I grow

Verbena
through them and they love the long stems.

I also have three feeders, one for peanuts, one for seed and one that I

made
for feeding meal worms to robins - but the sparrows like them as well!

On the subject of mealworms. They are fiendishly expensive. Did you know
there is an alternative? It is called 'Bogena universal'. Sort of a dry
crumbly stuff with insects fruit and all kinds of good things in. I get a
drum of it ecery year especially for the insect eaters and find the robins,
wrens etc love the stuff. I have reared fledgling blackbirds and thrushes on
the stuff too. IIRC there is also a Bogena insectivorous.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:26 PM
JennyC

"will" wrote in message
Thanks to v. helpful respondents so far

It's a front garden facing east, so will get some morning sun. Also the
crown of the tree has been lifted so it's not completely overwhelming. But
yes, I need ideas for dry shade.

Have a look at the excellent URG FAQ 'plants for shade":
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqshade.htm

I am also keen to encourage other wildlife (my equally small but sunny back
garden will be planted for bees and butterflies - tips also welcome here).

Buddleia for the butterflies :~))

So yes, I will have a log pile and perhaps a 'creature tower' made from left
over building materials (I am currently building the house).

Gosh! A woodpile is a huge plus for any garden and will attract all sorts of
insects for the birds to feed on. With any luck you might even get a hedgehog to
inhabit it :~)

There will be a 2nd floor balcony opening into the crown of the tree

WOW !! sounds amazing - wanna see pictures !
Will you make a terrace extending into the treetop ??

- a good place I guess for feeders - or would these be better at ground level?

Both would be good. I have a 1st floor roof garden and find the birds feed here
just as much as on the ground floor patio. http://tinyurl.com/hngi

I like the look of a leycesteria, and would love to have blackbirds
visiting. But will this thirve in the dry shade? Likewise with the hebes?
What other bushes do birds like to sit in that will cope with these
conditions?

See FAQ :~))

thanks will

Personally I think your best bet for the birds is indeed various sorts of
feeders. Unless you have a huge garden you'll never be able to grow enough
berries etc to feed the birds all winter.

Q: How large a garden would one need to do that ?

Jenny

Old 12-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Spider

will wrote in message
[...]

Hi Will,

I'm making similar provision in my garden for birds and other wildlife, and
I love the sound of your creature tower. I've been planning one, too.

I hate to be negative about your 2nd flr balcony opening into the sycamore
crown; I love the idea in principle but, unfortunately, so will the local
burglar! Do build in some sort of security. A good idea (if the budget
will allow) is to install a camera or two. Apart from gaining some
exciting wildlife footage, the police will be very interested in any footage
if you are burgled. (I truly hope you're not).

In my garden, the following are successful plants:
Pyracantha: Bees and insects love the flowers; birds love the berries,
and the secure nesting site. Alternative food plant for Holly Blue
butterfly.
Mahonia: Early bees visit the flowers; tits also visit the flowers
to take nectar (yes, really!) and the subsequent berries.
Hawthorn: Very good all round provider for insects and birds.
Buddleia: Good for butterflies, bees and hoverflies. Presumably, also
good for bird seed, judging by the number of freebie shrubs everywhere!
Rowan: Good all rounder, but probably too big for your site.
Malus: ............. ditto ...............
Ivy: (I think you've listed this) Food plant of the Holly Blue
butterfly. Flowers good for bees and insects. Berries great for birds.
Holly: ................
ditto ........................
Elderberry: Good all rounder.

Good shade plants a
Foxgloves (Digitalis purpurea) - bees love these.
Forget-me-nots - for bees and many insects.
Primroses (Primula vulgaris) - ........ ditto ...... .. so do early
insects.
Pulmonaria (any) - bee plant.
Heucheras - tiny flowers, but bees adore them.
Aquilegias, for sun or shade - bees and other insects are attracted.
Honesty - for bees and butterflies, esp. Orange Tip and other 'whites'.

In your sunny, back garden:
Heleniums - mine are always smothered in bees and hoverflies.
Rudbeckia - ............... ditto .................
Marjoram - great insect and bee plant. Good for butterflies (mine attracts
the Gatekeeper and Meadow Brown)
Lavender - flowers for bees, seeds for birds (esp. goldfinch)
Linaria - usually bee and hoverfly 'infested'
Penstemmon - bees love these, as their flowering season takes over from
foxgloves.

Good luck with the garden and building project.
Spider

Old 12-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Spider
writes

will wrote in message
Thanks to v. helpful respondents so far

It's a front garden facing east, so will get some morning sun. Also the
crown of the tree has been lifted so it's not completely overwhelming. But
yes, I need ideas for dry shade.

I am also keen to encourage other wildlife (my equally small but sunny

back
garden will be planted for bees and butterflies - tips also welcome here).
So yes, I will have a log pile and perhaps a 'creature tower'

I'm making similar provision in my garden for birds and other wildlife, and
I love the sound of your creature tower. I've been planning one, too.

I just have a wood pile round the back of the garage.

[...]

Of these elderberry is the only one I would not recommend unless it is a
pretty big garden or a variegate cultivar. Either way the birds will
plant seeds and purple splodges everywhere.

Sedum spectabile is good for late summer flowers and nectar.

Large sunflowers are also pretty easy to grow and do well in full sun
rich soil. Birds love the seed heads. Also teasels if you have space.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 21-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Lee and Kath

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 23:27:12 -0000, "will" wrote:

I'm designing a new (small) garden from scratch. 6m x 4m. I am very keen to
attract birds. I'm in the middle of London and the only thing currently on
the site is a mature sycamore.
I've read a bit, so I'm planning an ilex hedge (both sexes), climbing
honeysuckle, species rose (Rosa moyesii 'Geranium'), ivy, maybe a berberis.
Plus bird boxes, bird bath, feeders.

I just wondered what in your experience was your most succesful plant and/or
strategy for attracting birds? Specific cultivars especially welcome.

thanks

will

Pyracantha, Rosa rugosa 'Scabrosa' (for it's hips), Centaurea montana (leave the seed heads on a few
and cut off the rest for a succession of blooms - the goldfinches love them), elderberry.

Kath

Need tips for attracting birds bees butterflies & bats DJboutit Gardening 7 14-10-2004 02:00 AM
attracting native birds to a balcony Jason Lewis Australia 3 09-05-2004 08:03 AM
Attracting Butterflies Luke Australia 10 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
attracting bees to your garden John Savage Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Attracting Butterflies Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:13 AM