Old 08-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Michael Savage

Default 'New' landscape style - website suggestions?

Hi all

I am a parks manager and want to develop some new flowerbeds using the 'new'
perennial style. I have a reasonable idea what plants I would be looking for
but was looking for some images so I can show people what I'm on about. I
have John Brookes' The New Garden but it has few photos of the kind I'm
looking for (his are too 'natural' - I'm thinking of informal drifts of
single species, mixing herbaceous and grasses...). Checked Oehme & van
Sweden's company website but that didn't have anything suitable either. Has
anyone got any pointers?

I'm also preparing myself for thread to develop into challenging my plans in
principle! (what would you like to see in parks?)

Ta

Michael S

Old 08-11-2002, 09:59 AM
DaveDay34

Hi all

I am a parks manager and want to develop some new flowerbeds using the 'new'
perennial style. I have a reasonable idea what plants I would be looking for
but was looking for some images so I can show people what I'm on about. I
have John Brookes' The New Garden but it has few photos of the kind I'm
looking for (his are too 'natural' - I'm thinking of informal drifts of
single species, mixing herbaceous and grasses...). Checked Oehme & van
Sweden's company website but that didn't have anything suitable either. Has
anyone got any pointers?

I'm also preparing myself for thread to develop into challenging my plans in
principle! (what would you like to see in parks?)

Ta

Michael S

Hi Michael,

I think you may try looking for books by Tim Smit. He's the guy who got the
impetus to reclaim the Lost Gardens of Helligan and The Eden Project. I seem
to remember from my time at Capel that he had at least one book which featured
some dramatic drift planting in parks and other public spaces. You might find
something on the web. If you don't have any luck, please feel free to mail me
direct and I'll ask around at Capel and elsewhere and see if I can help out.

Just out of interest, where are you based/working?

I hope this helps.

Dave.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:27 PM
Michael Savage

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for recommendation Dave...will have a browse. I work in Coleraine in
Northern Ireland, and before that was with Manchester City Council...

As a bit of a plug, we won our category in Ulster in Bllom this year and on
that basis have been enetered into Britain in Bloom 2003. The staff here
have maintained a great standard of horticulture - what parks in England
would have been like before the impact of competituve tendering and budget
cuts. Hope to beef up our website soon to tempt you all to visit!

Michael S

Old 08-11-2002, 02:13 PM
PaulK

"Michael Savage" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all

I am a parks manager and want to develop some new flowerbeds using the

'new'
perennial style. I have a reasonable idea what plants I would be looking

for
but was looking for some images so I can show people what I'm on about. I
have John Brookes' The New Garden but it has few photos of the kind I'm
looking for (his are too 'natural' - I'm thinking of informal drifts of
single species, mixing herbaceous and grasses...). Checked Oehme & van
Sweden's company website but that didn't have anything suitable either.

Has
anyone got any pointers?

try this link to info on Noel Kingsbury - something of a "name" in the world
on the New planting styles. no piccies but a good book list

pk

Old 08-11-2002, 02:17 PM
PaulK

"PaulK" wrote in message

[...]

Doh!

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/limeligh...noelkingsbury.
htm

pk

Old 08-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Michael Savage

"PaulK" wrote in message

"PaulK" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Paul! I actually met Noel in Manchester - he was looking to do a
demonstration garden but we never got anything off the ground...wish we had
now. Will check out the book list.

Michael S

Old 08-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Tricia Weston

"Michael Savage" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all

I am a parks manager and want to develop some new flowerbeds using the

'new'
perennial style. I have a reasonable idea what plants I would be looking

for
but was looking for some images so I can show people what I'm on about. I
have John Brookes' The New Garden but it has few photos of the kind I'm
looking for (his are too 'natural' - I'm thinking of informal drifts of
single species, mixing herbaceous and grasses...). Checked Oehme & van
Sweden's company website but that didn't have anything suitable either.

Has
anyone got any pointers?

The link below has some herbaceous and grasses, also some images.
www.binnyplants.co.uk
I don't think the climate is too different either.

Tricia (Scotland)

Old 12-11-2002, 04:14 AM
Vera Gade

In article , "Tricia Weston"
wrote:

"Michael Savage" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all

I am a parks manager and want to develop some new flowerbeds using the

'new'
perennial style. I have a reasonable idea what plants I would be looking

for
but was looking for some images so I can show people what I'm on about. I
have John Brookes' The New Garden but it has few photos of the kind I'm
looking for (his are too 'natural' - I'm thinking of informal drifts of
single species, mixing herbaceous and grasses...). Checked Oehme & van
Sweden's company website but that didn't have anything suitable either.

Has
anyone got any pointers?

Hej - perhaps "The Dream Park" created by Piet Oudolf is something to

look in at
http://www.enkoping.se/parks/
-Experience the parks of Enkoping, Sweden - English text
Vera

--
VERA GADE NORRKOPING
VERA @GADE.SE
Old 12-11-2002, 09:12 AM
PaulK

"Vera Gade" wrote in message
In article , "Tricia Weston"
wrote:

Hej - perhaps "The Dream Park" created by Piet Oudolf is something to

look in at
http://www.enkoping.se/parks/
-Experience the parks of Enkoping, Sweden - English text
Vera

The location of this park reminds me that at a talk on the New Perennial
Planting Style I went to some time ago, it was emphasised that it originated
on the Continent where they have - surprise surprise - a continental
climate! So what I thought?, as you may be as you read! The point being made
was that they have very cold winters where all growth shuts down - we on the
otherhand have much milder winters with occasional warm periods in which
ephemeral weeds such as chick weed can do their worst. Hence,
weeding/maintenance can be much more of a problem in our climate.

Not that this should put anyone off, but whereas in Westparc (Sp) and the
other main examples, the style is low maintenance it is not so here.

pk

Old 13-11-2002, 01:34 PM
michaela

Michael Savage wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for recommendation Dave...will have a browse. I work in Coleraine

in
Northern Ireland, and before that was with Manchester City Council...

As a bit of a plug, we won our category in Ulster in Bllom this year and

on
that basis have been enetered into Britain in Bloom 2003. The staff here
have maintained a great standard of horticulture - what parks in England
would have been like before the impact of competituve tendering and budget
cuts. Hope to beef up our website soon to tempt you all to visit!

I passed through on my way to the north coast in August and it did look
well. I especially liked the use of sculpture in the public spaces.
Certainly that part of NI is well worth a visit. Are the gardens, at the
entrance to the park with the Mussenden Temple in it, part of your remit. I
particularly liked the bog garden there.

michaela.

Old 19-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Michael Savage

"Tricia Weston" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Tricia and all for info esp. michaela for nice comments (sorry for
delay, was over in Mcr for a few days). No, Downhill/Mussenden is National
Trust, and to my shame I haven't actually been there yet, but will get there
now 'cos I like boggy things.

As for perennials, a nice Dutch guy was here yesterday to sell us dahlias
and left me some very useful literature so I can show people what I'm on
about.

Thanks also PaulK - very useful comment about winter weed growth,
particularly relevant here with it being so close to the sea.

And loved the enskoping site - will explore and steal ideas for our
website...

Michael S