Old 18-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Johnboy

Default Big moss problem

My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Thanks

Old 18-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Johnboy wrote:
My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

It will increase the profits of the people who sell you the top dressing.
Other than that, almost certainly not.

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Then learn to love your moss. It is naturally low-growing, soft
underfoot, drought and waterlogging resistant and so on. An ideal
lawn plant in many ways :-)

And you can use it for lining pots, hanging backets etc., as well
as growing epiphytes, packing plants for transport, dressing wounds
and for a lot of other gardening purposes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Johnboy

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Johnboy wrote:
My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top

dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

It will increase the profits of the people who sell you the top dressing.
Other than that, almost certainly not.

Why not?

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and

introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Then learn to love your moss. It is naturally low-growing, soft
underfoot, drought and waterlogging resistant and so on. An ideal
lawn plant in many ways :-)

She who must be obeyed wants grass.

And you can use it for lining pots, hanging backets etc., as well
as growing epiphytes, packing plants for transport, dressing wounds
and for a lot of other gardening purposes.

And you can glue it to your face, jump out of hiding and scare the shit out
of people, sorry, no sale

Old 18-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Johnboy wrote:

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top

dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

It will increase the profits of the people who sell you the top dressing.
Other than that, almost certainly not.

Why not?

Why should it? It isn't going to make the clay go away and, unless
that happens, the drainage isn't going to improve.

Then learn to love your moss. It is naturally low-growing, soft
underfoot, drought and waterlogging resistant and so on. An ideal
lawn plant in many ways :-)

She who must be obeyed wants grass.

Then grow some in a pot and tell her to put it in her pipe and smoke
it.

And you can use it for lining pots, hanging backets etc., as well
as growing epiphytes, packing plants for transport, dressing wounds
and for a lot of other gardening purposes.

And you can glue it to your face, jump out of hiding and scare the shit out
of people, sorry, no sale

Fine. My money is on the moss winning. Experience is a dear teacher,
but some will learn at no other school.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Johnboy

Johnboy wrote:

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay

soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top

dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

It will increase the profits of the people who sell you the top

dressing.
Other than that, almost certainly not.

Why not?

Why should it?

I thought the sand might have an effect on the moss, plus the nutrients in
the mix could help more grass to grow, this could take a few seasons to
work.

It isn't going to make the clay go away and, unless
that happens, the drainage isn't going to improve.

Good point, I have thought of adding a few inches of topsoil, would this
work?

Old 19-02-2005, 02:24 AM
Registered User

Most of our front lawn is moss, and I personally like it.

It is a bit different from normal plain grass, and, as has been said already, it is nice to walk on.

I have moss and am proud.
__________________
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.
Old 19-02-2005, 02:33 AM
Registered User

I often think it would be quite nice not to have any grass at all, just have a long green swathe of moss, but how do I go about it, and how possible would it be??

It would mean that we wouldn't have to cut the grass ever again for a start!
__________________
Old 19-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Johnboy
writes
My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Some moss in spring and autumn is a fairly common feature in many lawns.
60% is rather high but it is almost certain to drop rapidly as the lawn
matures. Neither top dressing nor new soil should be necessary. If you
mow the lawn to a regular height and don't allow the turves to dry out,
grass roots will develop into the clay and the moss will soon recede.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 19-02-2005, 08:49 AM
pied piper

"Johnboy" wrote in message
My lawns are looking very poor, 60% moss, plus white patches.

I think the problem is due to the turf being layed over heavy clay soil,
actually I know this is the problem, new build syndrome, will top dressing
do any good and if so what mix should I use?

The ideal solution would be to remove a foot of clay all round and
introduce
some organic material and fresh soil but I cant afford this.

Thanks

dont top dress until autumn give the lawn a good spike most moss is the
cause of poor aeration in the soil profile apply some moss killer and a
dose of sulphate of iron one the moss goes black scarify and box off then
brush some seed into the bare areas this should reduce the moss also apply
a spring summer fertiliser to boost the grass regular spiking every
fortnight will help also box off your cuttings when mowing the grass as
build up of thatch and organic material will add to the problem good luck

Old 19-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Kay

In article , Douglas Douglas.1k
writes

Is (who wants moss) the same
person or a different person to
(who has moss)?

--
Kay

Old 19-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Johnboy wrote:

I thought the sand might have an effect on the moss, plus the nutrients in
the mix could help more grass to grow, this could take a few seasons to
work.

Many people misunderstand about sand. It doesn't work by chemical
action, but by creating a soil structure which has a network of gaps.
I can't tell you how much you would need to add to pure clay to
get some draining but, from my garden, it needs to be at least 60%
by volume, perhaps 80%. Top dressing will not cut the mustard.

If the nutrients are going to help (and they will, fractionally),
they will do so in the first season. Like MacArthur, the moss will
be back ....

It isn't going to make the clay go away and, unless
that happens, the drainage isn't going to improve.

Good point, I have thought of adding a few inches of topsoil, would this
work?

No. A couple of feet, maybe. To make much difference, you need to
add at least half a ton of sharp sand per square metre, perhaps double
that. You would do a LOT better just digging the area over to at
least 1' down (2' if you have the energy) - it won't help with the
makeup of the soil, but will break up packed soil.

I suggest that you test the composition of your soil. You need a
white glass wine bottle, a small amount of washing powder, and a
little effort. Look up on the net how to do it - that is where I
found out from.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Kay
writes
In article , Douglas Douglas.1k
writes

Is (who wants moss) the same
person or a different person to
(who has moss)?

Maybe he's a rolling stone?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 20-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Johnboy

Thanks all, I have since managed to lay my hands on a copy of the "Lawn
Expert" it recommends digging out a foot all round and then lining with 6"
of coarse and 2" of fine stones, top off with 6" of topsoil, I think I will
go with some of the advice in here :-)

Old 20-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"pied piper" wrote in message

"Johnboy" wrote in message
[...]

Please try some punctuation next time. Your contribution might well
have been good, but I will never know, as I gave up half way through.

Franz

Old 20-02-2005, 06:45 PM
pied piper

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"pied piper" wrote in message

"Johnboy" wrote in message
[...]

the advice wasnt for you if you have trouble reading it then dont read it