Old 14-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Harold Walker

Default Grafting

Many years ago I used to graft a desease resistant tomato root stock on to a
Moneymaker tomato plant. This day and age I buy desease resistant plants.
Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

Old 14-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Mike

"Harold Walker" wrote in message
Many years ago I used to graft a desease resistant tomato root stock on to

Moneymaker tomato plant. This day and age I buy desease resistant plants.
Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

Good Heavens Harold, you will be asking if anyone shaves with a Brush and
Shaving Soap and a Cut throat razor.

Mike
who doesn't shave at all ;-))

Old 14-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Gary Woods

"Harold Walker" wrote:

Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

The only thing I've seen is U.S newspaper adverts for "THE AMAZING
POMATO!!! GROWS TOMATOES ON THE TOP AND POTATOES UNDERGROUND!!"

Grafted, of course, and neither part as productive as separate plants.
Always touted as some marvelous new breakthrough. But maybe we colonials
are more gullible.

I'm still trying to get successful apple grafts, and they're supposed to be
dead easy.

Old 14-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Harold Walker

"Mike" wrote in message

"Harold Walker" wrote in message
Many years ago I used to graft a desease resistant tomato root stock on

Moneymaker tomato plant. This day and age I buy desease resistant
plants.
Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

Good Heavens Harold, you will be asking if anyone shaves with a Brush and
Shaving Soap and a Cut throat razor.

Mike
who doesn't shave at all ;-))

'twas just a wondering as I here so many complaints over yonder about the
tomatoes suffering from this and that and there is a solution .. H

Old 14-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Harold Walker

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Harold Walker" wrote:

Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

The only thing I've seen is U.S newspaper adverts for "THE AMAZING
POMATO!!! GROWS TOMATOES ON THE TOP AND POTATOES UNDERGROUND!!"

Grafted, of course, and neither part as productive as separate plants.
Always touted as some marvelous new breakthrough. But maybe we colonials
are more gullible.

I'm still trying to get successful apple grafts, and they're supposed to
be
dead easy.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Gary...."We" over here are far behind the 'Brits' when it comes to
gardening....I see things/methods/techniques being introduced over here as
being new 'discoveries'....perhaps new here but ancient over the other side
of the big pond.

(A personal belief....the best/most productive farmers in the world are in
the USA but as far as gardening is concerned that honor belongs to the other
side of the water).

Old 14-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Leslie

(A personal belief....the best/most productive farmers in the world are in
the USA but as far as gardening is concerned that honor belongs to the
other side of the water).

Sorry H but The English Farmer is the best and most productive, I know cos I
am one.

.....................Leslie

Old 14-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Harold Walker

"Leslie" wrote in message

(A personal belief....the best/most productive farmers in the world are
in the USA but as far as gardening is concerned that honor belongs to the
other side of the water).

Sorry H but The English Farmer is the best and most productive, I know cos
I am one.

.....................Leslie

OOPS...looks as tho I goofed on this one Leslie....H

Old 14-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Harold Walker

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Gary Woods contains these words:

"Harold Walker" wrote:

Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

The only thing I've seen is U.S newspaper adverts for "THE AMAZING
POMATO!!! GROWS TOMATOES ON THE TOP AND POTATOES UNDERGROUND!!"

Grafted, of course, and neither part as productive as separate plants.
Always touted as some marvelous new breakthrough. But maybe we colonials
are more gullible.

Gary, have you tried the Chipolato? The tomato/potato graft is
reversed, to that perfect tomatoes grow underground, protected from
frost and hidden from pests. Above ground, the grafted GM potato
produces french-fries, known here as chips. I have one or two spare
plants available under PBR, for only $999.

Janet.

Sounds like a good buy if it includes postaage...H

Old 14-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Rod

On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:52:16 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

I'm still trying to get successful apple grafts, and they're supposed to be
dead easy.

They aren't difficult, timing to get stock and scion in the right
condition can be. Look up chip budding on one of the search engines -
now that really is easy, it just takes an extra growing season to get
your 'maiden' tree but success is almost guaranteed.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Old 14-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Rod

On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:27:38 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

Many years ago I used to graft a desease resistant tomato root stock on to a
Moneymaker tomato plant. This day and age I buy desease resistant plants.
Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

I've tried it a couple of times - just to say I've done it, but it's a
waste of time unless you have the problems that the technique helps to
sidestep. It used to be a common commercial technique as an
alternative to steam sterilisation of the glasshouse soil.

Old 14-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Many years ago I used to graft a desease resistant tomato root stock
on to a
Moneymaker tomato plant. This day and age I buy desease resistant plants.
Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

Yes, but why bother with Moneymaker? I'd happily see the whole variety
succumb to disease.

I 'grafted' some carefully pinched-out laterals on to potato stems one
year, and got spuds underneath and tomatoes on top, but the results
weren't worth a repeat trial.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Good Heavens Harold, you will be asking if anyone shaves with a Brush and
Shaving Soap and a Cut throat razor.

Doesn't everybody?

My valet would hand in his notice if I even looked at a safety razor, what?

Old 14-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

"Harold Walker" wrote:

Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

The only thing I've seen is U.S newspaper adverts for "THE AMAZING
POMATO!!! GROWS TOMATOES ON THE TOP AND POTATOES UNDERGROUND!!"

Those damned rays! Allyhats on, everybody.

Grafted, of course, and neither part as productive as separate plants.
Always touted as some marvelous new breakthrough. But maybe we colonials
are more gullible.

I found they were less productive than twice the area planted with spuds
and tomatoes would have been, and the tomatoes died off long before I
was ready for them to.

I'm still trying to get successful apple grafts, and they're supposed to be
dead easy.

Budding is easiest.

Old 14-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Gary...."We" over here are far behind the 'Brits' when it comes to
gardening....I see things/methods/techniques being introduced over here as
being new 'discoveries'....perhaps new here but ancient over the other side
of the big pond.

(A personal belief....the best/most productive farmers in the world are in
the USA but as far as gardening is concerned that honor belongs to the
other
side of the water).

I wouldn't agree about farming. It's done on a much larger scale, true,
but have a look at yields per acre and I think you'll find the picture
changes.

Bearing in mind of course, that varieties suitable for growing 'Over
There' are not always ideal for 'Over Here'.