Old 14-07-2005, 10:02 AM
David Rance

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 Sacha wrote:

Do you have farmers markets, Sacha? or a WI market? Mushroom
"Wildpickers" often go to them I've also seen courgette flowers for
sale at a farmer's market near our old place.

There's a market in Totnes every week and one in Buckfastleigh but I've
never seen anyone selling those. I'll ask around next time I go to it. I'd
love to find them.

I would love to be able to go out and pick my own mushrooms but I don't
think I (or my wife) would ever have the confidence to know which are
the good ones. I've got illustrated books on the subject but I would
still rather not risk it.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 14-07-2005, 11:03 AM
David Rance

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 Sacha wrote:

I would love to be able to go out and pick my own mushrooms but I don't
think I (or my wife) would ever have the confidence to know which are
the good ones. I've got illustrated books on the subject but I would
still rather not risk it.

I feel rather the same. But in France there are all those dear little
herbalist and chemist shops with signs up saying they identify fungi for
you! Can't you use one of those?

Actually we did last year. We had some ordinary mushrooms growing in the
grass outside our back door. They were what the French call "champignons
de Paris". At least, we were pretty sure that's what they were so we
took one down to our local pharmacie and the pharmacist did identify it
for us. And we were right!

But we still don't have any self-confidence in identifying others. So,
as a result, we never go on mushroom-finding expeditions. Mind you, if
we lived further south I think I would make an effort for cèpes.

A few years ago I asked in here about giant puff-balls and I almost got
to the point of wanting to try them. But since then we haven't had any,
although last year we had one or two but I saw them too late to do
anything with them. So I kicked them around a bit to spread the spores.
Maybe this year ........

David

Old 14-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

I would love to be able to go out and pick my own mushrooms but I don't
think I (or my wife) would ever have the confidence to know which are
the good ones. I've got illustrated books on the subject but I would
still rather not risk it.

Wise - don't eat *ANYTHING* mushroomy you aren't 120% sure of. It took
me years of collecting Amanita rubescens (blushers) before I was 200%
sure they weren't A. pantherina (I'd only been 190% sure until then),
and tried them.

I've never looked back! They're my favourite mushroom, closely followed
by the horn of plenty.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

Well, I've looked it up in Petit Larousse.

Thanks - saved in my mushroom file.

Old 14-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I first became aware of this when I was rather miffed to find that the
'chanterelles' in the woodland fungi mixture I'd bought from Tesco
wasn't what I was expecting, and were your clout-shaped ones you
mention, so before kicking up a fuss I asked about it on
alt.nature.mushrooms and was put right.

I'm now very confused but better informed. Thanks!

To clarify the muddied waters, in France the chanterelle is Cantharellus
infundibuliformis. There are two variants, an all-yellow one and a grey
and yellow one.

The grey and yellow one is 'chanterelle grise', from which I interpolate
that the yellow one should be 'chanterelle'.

The French call Cantharellus cibarius 'girolle'. In Britain, it is
called 'chanterelle'.

I presume therefore, that since the common name is French, the British
use of it has been applied to the wrong mushroom.

Old 14-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I feel rather the same. But in France there are all those dear little
herbalist and chemist shops with signs up saying they identify fungi for
you! Can't you use one of those? And I think there used to be a belief that
if you put a silver sixpence in with the cooking fungi and it went green,
one or some of them were poisonous! Of course, nowadays, finding your
silver sixpence would be the hardest part!

Or a silver teaspoon. And it's supposed to turn black.

However, BE WARNED! It's an old wives' tale.

*NO* poisonous or edible mushrom found in this country will blacken
silver, but an egg will...

Old 14-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

But we still don't have any self-confidence in identifying others. So,
as a result, we never go on mushroom-finding expeditions. Mind you, if
we lived further south I think I would make an effort for cèpes.

Further north, surely? The best cèpe hauls I have ever made have been in
the north west of Scotland.

A few years ago I asked in here about giant puff-balls and I almost got
to the point of wanting to try them. But since then we haven't had any,
although last year we had one or two but I saw them too late to do
anything with them. So I kicked them around a bit to spread the spores.
Maybe this year ........

It's about the right time for them. Best of luck. The favourite place
for them is grazed meadows on flood plains.

Old 14-07-2005, 03:13 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

But we still don't have any self-confidence in identifying others. So,
as a result, we never go on mushroom-finding expeditions. Mind you, if
we lived further south I think I would make an effort for cèpes.

Further north, surely? The best cèpe hauls I have ever made have been in
the north west of Scotland.

There are a lot in the South-West of France, in the Pau area.

A few years ago I asked in here about giant puff-balls and I almost got
to the point of wanting to try them. But since then we haven't had any,
although last year we had one or two but I saw them too late to do
anything with them. So I kicked them around a bit to spread the spores.
Maybe this year ........

It's about the right time for them. Best of luck. The favourite place
for them is grazed meadows on flood plains.

I have them in my vineyard!

David

Old 14-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

/snip cèps/

Further north, surely? The best cèpe hauls I have ever made have been in
the north west of Scotland.

There are a lot in the South-West of France, in the Pau area.

That's practically into the Pair-of-knees. Wetter and cooler in the
knees region...

A few years ago I asked in here about giant puff-balls and I almost got
to the point of wanting to try them. But since then we haven't had any,
although last year we had one or two but I saw them too late to do
anything with them. So I kicked them around a bit to spread the spores.
Maybe this year ........

It's about the right time for them. Best of luck. The favourite place
for them is grazed meadows on flood plains.

I have them in my vineyard!

Hmmm. Spirit stove, a big frying-pan, some olive oil and a bowl of
batter. And don't forget the wine...

Old 14-07-2005, 04:39 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Further north, surely? The best cèpe hauls I have ever made have been in
the north west of Scotland.

There are a lot in the South-West of France, in the Pau area.

That's practically into the Pair-of-knees. Wetter and cooler in the
knees region...

Pau is a few miles north of the Pyrenees. It's wet in August but overall
the temperature is high. I can remember eating outside with temperatures
in the 70s F on the 1st November.

David