Old 25-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Pat Davis

Default WHERE OH WHERE! can I find a Spiraea Thunbergii???????

I live in the Richmond, VA area and cannot for the life of me find a
plain old Spiraea Thunbergii.(Green leaves, white flowers) The very
few that I am able to find (mail order and locally) are the newer
varieties with yellow leaves or pink flowers. I searched in vain last
fall for one and now have gone another planting season without one.
They are in bloom right now, and I am just frantic to find one.
PLEASE HELP!

Thanking anyone who will answer this message.

Pat Davis
Old 25-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Pam

Pat Davis wrote:

I live in the Richmond, VA area and cannot for the life of me find a
plain old Spiraea Thunbergii.(Green leaves, white flowers) The very
few that I am able to find (mail order and locally) are the newer
varieties with yellow leaves or pink flowers. I searched in vain last
fall for one and now have gone another planting season without one.
They are in bloom right now, and I am just frantic to find one.
PLEASE HELP!

Maybe this will help:
http://monticello.avenue.org/garden/nurseries.html

Old 25-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Pat Davis

Pam wrote in message ...
Pat Davis wrote:

I live in the Richmond, VA area and cannot for the life of me find a
plain old Spiraea Thunbergii.(Green leaves, white flowers) The very
few that I am able to find (mail order and locally) are the newer
varieties with yellow leaves or pink flowers. I searched in vain last
fall for one and now have gone another planting season without one.
They are in bloom right now, and I am just frantic to find one.
PLEASE HELP!

Maybe this will help:
http://monticello.avenue.org/garden/nurseries.html

Just a short follow up:
Thanks for your reply.
I called the two places in Richmond on the list: One was no go and the
other one will be getting some plants in on Fri, but doesn't know the
variety.
The other nurseries are on the other side of the state...
Old 26-03-2003, 04:08 AM
madgarder

is this the old fashioned Spirea that has clusters of white flowers like a
bridal bouquet or the button flowers? At the Lowes where I work at in
Morristown, Tennessee we have gotten in the old fashioned Spirea that has
the clusters of white flowers like a bridal bouquet. They are $9.97 in two ?
or three gallon pots. If you'd like, I can get you one, and if you reimburse
me the shipping and price, would send it to you priority mail (I wouldn't
water it the day I box it up so it would arrive less heavy). Let me
know........e-mail me
madgardener who has three kinds of Spirea, the button, the bridal bouquet
and an unusual pink one that looks like fuzzy catapillars that is a Korean
one that slipped into my gardens thanks to Mary Emma..................
"Pat Davis" wrote in message
om...

Pat Davis wrote I live in the Richmond, VA area and cannot for the life of

Old 26-03-2003, 05:32 AM
B & J

?
or three gallon pots. If you'd like, I can get you one, and if you

reimburse
me the shipping and price, would send it to you priority mail (I wouldn't
water it the day I box it up so it would arrive less heavy). Let me
know........e-mail me
madgardener who has three kinds of Spirea, the button, the bridal bouquet
and an unusual pink one that looks like fuzzy catapillars that is a Korean
one that slipped into my gardens thanks to Mary Emma..................

And if she can't find one the one she wants that way, but spots the one she
wants in a yard, knock on the door and ask for some cuttings. They're
incrededibly easy to start from cuttings and grow rapidly. A plant I started
from a cutting last year is about 2' tall and has buds on it this spring.
$9.97??? Yes, Mad, I'm cheap - when it comes to plants. VBSEG

John

Old 26-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Allview

And if she can't find one the one she wants that way, but spots the one she
wants in a yard, knock on the door and ask for some cuttings. They're
incrededibly easy to start from cuttings and grow rapidly. A plant I started
from a cutting last year is about 2' tall and has buds on it this spring.

John, please tell me how to choose a cutting. There is a button spirea that I
covet and the owner would not object to my getting a small piece. How big?
Old wood?

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 26-03-2003, 02:08 PM
madgarder

yer CHEAP?? Why would you say that John? You squeek when you
walk...........................madgardener who is about to write an
incredibly long ramble that will leave you in laugh
tears.....................(I hope)

Old 26-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Cindy

"At the Lowes where I work at in
Morristown, Tennessee we have gotten in the old fashioned Spirea that has
the clusters of white flowers like a bridal bouquet. They are $9.97 in two

?
or three gallon pots.

g Now how did I miss those the other day when I was in there.????
I am still trying to figure out where to plant those climbing hydrangas!!!
(Thanks for pointing those out mad....)
I am making out my "wish list " now g

BTW. Mad is a darling!! I got to meet her!

Cindy

Old 27-03-2003, 12:32 AM

Jungs... they even got the dwarf ones (well to 3 feet). Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 27-03-2003, 06:08 AM
B & J

"Allview" wrote in message
And if she can't find one the one she wants that way, but spots the one

she
wants in a yard, knock on the door and ask for some cuttings. They're
incrededibly easy to start from cuttings and grow rapidly. A plant I

started
from a cutting last year is about 2' tall and has buds on it this spring.

John, please tell me how to choose a cutting. There is a button spirea

that I
covet and the owner would not object to my getting a small piece. How

big?
Old wood?

Marilyn in Ohio

Marilyn "Madgarder" steered you in the right direction about new wood
cuttings. Wait until the plant has sent out vigorous shoots and break them
off, keeping the node that attaches them to the parent plant intact. I take
cuttings toward the end of May, but you'll probably want to wait another
week or two in Ohio. Try to find ones that are about 6" - 8". (Be generous
about the number, because all may not root!) Strip off the bottom leaves,
dust in rooting hormone, plant in 4" pots with a mixture of 1/3 peat moss
and /2/3 play sand or pro mix, water thoroughly, cover with clear plastic,
ad put in a shady spot. In three to five weeks the cuttings should be
rooted.

John