Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland
Default which greenhouse? Help very much appreciated.

Hello,
I hope someone can help me.I want to purchase a greenhouse for germinating flower seeds. I've done some research and have decided to go for polycarbonate. The thing is I live in the west of Ireland, the site is somewhat exposed, there is a small hedge at the west of it.

I have seen greenhouses by different companies ( I don't know if I'm allowed to mention names here ) but some are priced in the 2000 euro range, another same size 750 euro. The difference is the thickness of the polycarbonate, 6mm/4mm.

I need advice please. Which should I go for. Is there a difference in the thickness of the structure.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrygirl View Post
Hello,
I hope someone can help me.I want to purchase a greenhouse for germinating flower seeds. I've done some research and have decided to go for polycarbonate. The thing is I live in the west of Ireland, the site is somewhat exposed, there is a small hedge at the west of it.

I have seen greenhouses by different companies ( I don't know if I'm allowed to mention names here ) but some are priced in the 2000 euro range, another same size 750 euro. The difference is the thickness of the polycarbonate, 6mm/4mm.

I need advice please. Which should I go for. Is there a difference in the thickness of the structure.
You do not say what size GH you want/need or if you want to grow plants, eg. Tomatoes, Cucumbers, potted flower plants, etc. I have played golf some years ago on the west coast of Ireland and would not recommend a plastic windowed GH as on a bad day the windows could finish in the Atlantic or half way to Dublin. You must go for glass.

The cost of 2000 Euro is ridiculous unless you are looking for something hugh. 2 years ago I bought a 6ftx6ft aluminium GH with glass windows and sliding door - it is fabulous and I grow all my autumn rooted cutting, my Cosmos for planting out (this year, I hope in, in late May) plus bedding plants which we buy in early May and grow on. My seedling Toms which now are 6 inches high and will be grown in the GH (heated until mid to late May to 50-60 degrees) through the summer and autumn.

Look at Halls Greenhouses or similar for quotes. I am sure I did not pay more than £350.00 complete.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kerrygirl" wrote in message

Hello,
I hope someone can help me.I want to purchase a greenhouse for
germinating flower seeds. I've done some research and have decided to go
for polycarbonate. The thing is I live in the west of Ireland, the site
is somewhat exposed, there is a small hedge at the west of it.

I have seen greenhouses by different companies ( I don't know if I'm
allowed to mention names here ) but some are priced in the 2000 euro
range, another same size 750 euro. The difference is the thickness of
the polycarbonate, 6mm/4mm.

I need advice please. Which should I go for. Is there a difference in
the thickness of the structure.

Hi Kerrygirl
For many years I lived on the west coast of Scotland and I think that
our weather was very similar to yours. In a gale, things blow about
and polycarbonate is far more resistant to things blowing into it
than glass. Also remember that most greenhouses are designed for
use in the London suburbs and would not last 5 minutes in one of
your gales. Go for strength - and that does not always relate to
price. If anyone near you has a greenhouse, go and talk to them
and see what it is like. And remember (and everyone on the group
will tell you this) get the biggest one you can afford - and then get
one size bigger (:-))

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland, 40 miles N. of Inverness

Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2013 17:12, Phil Gurr wrote:
"kerrygirl" wrote in message

[...]

Have you looked at these people http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk ?
You could contact them and ask their advice.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message ...

"kerrygirl" wrote in message

[...]

Phil sorry I have to disagree with you .........

""" In a gale, things blow about and polycarbonate is far more resistant to
things blowing into it
than glass """

The Poly greenhouse down the road to me has blown out twice 'at least'
whereas ours, Ali and glass has been no trouble at all .

Also, Poly doesn't give the 'right sort' of light. My daughter has a large
'Victorian' Style greenhouse , which used to supply the Manor House Hotel
when she had it, but doesn't have the success my wife does in our 10 x 8 ;-)
"Quantity? Yes, Quality? No" ........... but my wife does have well over 50
years of gardening experience ;-)

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolob View Post
[...]

Thank you for making me laugh, picturing my windows half way up to Dublin. I was actually pricing a 10'x6' the cost 2,247.00 Euros. Crazy price! One of the reasons I didn't go for glass was the mention that glass can scorch seedlings. I really want to grow summer bedding for family and friends and of course the fact that I love it immensely. This side of gardening is new to me.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Poly greenhouse down the road to me has blown out twice 'at least'
whereas ours, Ali and glass has been no trouble at all .

If Poly carb does blow out (Probably due to bad fitting) it can be put
back in as it doesn't break

Also, Poly doesn't give the 'right sort' of light.

Balderdash! Unless you get the smoked form.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2013 12:03, kerrygirl wrote:

Hello,
I hope someone can help me.I want to purchase a greenhouse for
germinating flower seeds. I've done some research and have decided to go
for polycarbonate. The thing is I live in the west of Ireland, the site
is somewhat exposed, there is a small hedge at the west of it.

I have seen greenhouses by different companies ( I don't know if I'm
allowed to mention names here ) but some are priced in the 2000 euro
range, another same size 750 euro. The difference is the thickness of
the polycarbonate, 6mm/4mm.

I need advice please. Which should I go for. Is there a difference in
the thickness of the structure.

What sort of flower seeds? And if you are intending to only germinate
them, and grow nothing to full size under glass, why do you need a
greenhouse? If you could make do with cold frames, those would be much
cheaper and would be very unlikely to suffer from wind damage.

--

Jeff
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
The Poly greenhouse down the road to me has blown out twice 'at least'
whereas ours, Ali and glass has been no trouble at all .

If Poly carb does blow out (Probably due to bad fitting) it can be put
back in as it doesn't break

I have to agree with Mike on that point. A friend on our allotments had
polly panels. After the gale, all that was left was a few broken panels and
a lot of twisted alloy. Once the wind gets in, that's that. Whether it was
fitted correctly, I don't know.
--
Pete C

Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bigolob.bde2696
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

kerrygirl;980787 Wrote:
[...]

I agree. I live on the west coast of Scotland and there are no
polycarbonate GH's here, only glass; and you will need one with a strong
frame bolted down to something solid.

Janet Isle of Arran

Old 13-04-2013, 08:59 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I agree. I live on the west coast of Scotland and there are no
polycarbonate GH's here, only glass; and you will need one with a strong
frame bolted down to something solid.
If you decide on glass, Robinsons are pretty sturdy.

If you're worried about scorch, you can paint shading compound on to the outside of the glass for the summer.
__________________
Old 13-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
If you decide on glass, Robinsons are pretty sturdy.

If you're worried about scorch, you can paint shading compound on to the outside of the glass for the summer.

Thank you all so much for replying. I really have a lot to think about before I purchase. A lot to consider, I don't want to have regrets later.
Old 16-04-2013, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2013 18:28, kerrygirl wrote:

Bigolob;980821 Wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about twinwall polycarbonate or clear sheet?

Anything using clear sheets will potentially scorch seedlings on a
strong sunshine day even if you have thermostatic vents. Twinwall is
different in that it diffuses the light - reckoned not to be so good for
growing tomatoes but it didn't seem to bother mine.

Bubble wrap is OK as a diffuser to protect seedlings and keep heat in.

Polycarbonate is a bit inclined to flex and spring out which might not
be ideal in a windy location unless they are properly captive.

My experience with wind loading in a very exposed spot and a 20x10 green
house suggests that no matter what you buy to resist the worst storms
you actually have to use stronger diagonal cross bracing on the side
that faces into the prevailing wind if it is aluminium frame. The wind
was gusting to 100mph and crumpled the aluminium struts which then broke
the glass. Once wind was inside the structure it rained sheets of glass
down in a neighbouring field. It wasn't safe to approach.

This was what happened to mine in the winter of 1997. You could also
consider a wooden and twinwall polycarbonate construction by a local
handyman. If you intend to heat it then the fuel savings of a twinwall
insulated greenhouse are significant. Not as pretty as glass or clear.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 26-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post

Bigolob;980821 Wrote:
[...]

Hello Martin.
Thank you for replying. I have now found a company called 'Steeltechsheds' they say their greenhouses are built to last a lifetime and are able to withstand extreme weather conditions. The frame is made of Steel Hollow section. If you could take a look at their website and tell me what you think.
Old 26-04-2013, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Martin.
Thank you for replying. I have now found a company called
'Steeltechsheds' they say their greenhouses are built to last a lifetime
and are able to withstand extreme weather conditions. The frame is made
of Steel Hollow section. If you could take a look at their website and
tell me what you think.

Having looked at that site, I wouldn't touch them.
The frame may last a life time what ever that means.
The plastic sheeting may last up to around 10 years but 7 would be more
realistic.It may well discolour with sunlight, and tends to get brittle.
David
Abacus Nurseries.
I can see no ventilation, and you should ideally have 1/8th of the roof
area as vents