Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Lookout Superthrive . . .

.. . . you have competition in the magic elixir department.

Go to www.HB-101.com and learn "all" about HB-101 advertised
as a "Plant Vitalizer" by its Japanese makers.

As with S-thrive, we appear to have no idea what's in it.
Also as with S-thrive you don't need to use much -- it can
be diluted "1,000 to 100,000 times" (!) So, buying their
one-liter bottle gives you 100,000 liters of this miracle stuff.

It claims to be used by veggie gardeners, farmers in their
rice paddies, flower growers, indoor plant growers, AND
bonsiests.

The website is slow for us dial-up types, so I didn't wander
around enough to see home much it would cost me to get that
1-liter (or smaller) bottle. (You can get a free sample by
faxing 310-533-5149, according to an ad in Bonsai Today #98).

Oh yes . . . you also can buy EH-101 called a Health Support
material (no info provided on whose health)., and

ND-101 called a "Natural Deodorizer".

Have at it, all.

Ahh. There's still Magic in our lives.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Charles Bevan

-
Go to www.HB-101.com http://www.HB-101.com and learn "all" about HB-101
advertised
as a "Plant Vitalizer" by its Japanese makers.
-

Jim,
While I attended Taikan-ten last November, I noticed that there was an
HB-101 booth in the vendors area. They readily grabbed me over, and gave me
a half a year's supply of HB-101 in free samples as well as an ugly yellow
HB-101 hat. I still have the samples, but I have yet to try them and see how
they work. Maybe I should give them a try and report back the results.

--
Charles Bevan
Vero Beach, FL

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Jim Lewis

Charles Bevan wrote:
-
Go to www.HB-101.com http://www.HB-101.com and learn "all" about HB-101
advertised
as a "Plant Vitalizer" by its Japanese makers.
-

Jim,
While I attended Taikan-ten last November, I noticed that there was an
HB-101 booth in the vendors area. They readily grabbed me over, and gave me
a half a year's supply of HB-101 in free samples as well as an ugly yellow
HB-101 hat. I still have the samples, but I have yet to try them and see how
they work. Maybe I should give them a try and report back the results.

Up to you. Let's see, at their dilution rate, a half-year's
supply was about a thimbleful, yes. :-)

To make the test legitimate, be sure to do it in a sterile
room, and have genetically identical plants. Half get it,
half don't and all other factors -- light, temperature,
humidity, fertilizing regime, pruning, etc. -- must be
identical and recorded carefully, hour by hour.

While you're at it, do a similar run with Stuporthrive. MY
guess is that this stuff is pirated Superthrive formulae,
maybe with some fugu added. :-)

Smell it. If it smells like Magic Johnson's last pair of
unwashed socks, that's probably when it is -- or at least it
has a lot of Vitamin B in it.

You need to post a pic of you in the hat.

Old 13-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Charles Bevan

Were you able to try the hat at least?? :-)

You need to post a pic of you in the hat.

I have used the hat a few times for working outside. I still have it, so
maybe I should listen to Jim a post a pic of myself with it. Those hats
actually did come to good use when we got to Tokyo. When we went to the
Ginza district, we could never seem to find our tour guide. She was shorter
than most of the people around her, so she disappeared quickly. We were able
to get her to wear it once or twice after that.

Up to you. Let's see, at their dilution rate, a half-year's
supply was about a thimbleful, yes. :-)

They gave me about six little free samples of it that were a little larger
than a thimble full. From their suggested dilution rate, I would guess that
would last about six months on my fairly small collection of trees.

I am not the type of person to be scientifically accurate when it comes to
testing things such as this. I will give it a try on a few of my plants and
see how it does. If the results aren't noticeable after a few months, then I
won't bother with it any more.

--
Charles Bevan
Vero Beach, FL

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 15-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Layne

Hi,

I saw a few men wearing the hat on the website...no women wore it.
You're right about the hat! I can see how it made finding your tour
guide easier. :-)

FWIW, I couldn't resist and bought the $23.00 bottle. I figure getting
one small sample wasn't enough to see any noticable change in a plant.
I'm going to try it on one of my Japanese maples that has been
suffering from some branch die back this season and last. It might be
verticillium or just the overall health of the tree that's in
question. We'll see.

Layne

Old 16-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Jim Lewis

Layne wrote:

FWIW, I couldn't resist and bought the $23.00 bottle. I
figure getting one small sample wasn't enough to see any
noticable change in a plant. I'm going to try it on one
of my Japanese maples that has been suffering from some
branch die back this season and last. It might be
verticillium or just the overall health of the tree
that's in question. We'll see.

My guess is that 10 of those $23 bottles won't be enough to
see any "noticeable change" in anything . . . but your wallet.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 16-08-2005, 04:53 AM
Justin Luis Diaz

I'm in about year 3 or 4 of my bonsai experience, and I'm curious about how
many plants are lost each year. At this point I have a few trees that I feel
are actually starting to look like something. But, I'm still losing trees to
assorted reasons, most of which are out of my control... things like
squirrels in the night, or cats. Mostly they're seedlings or cuttings or
trees in thier first year of training, so I'm frustrated but not devastated.
More to the point...

I'm curious to a solid cross-section of growers, I'm sure even the sages
lose a tree here or there (or maybe not?), and I'm finally down to about 3
or 4 a year that are lost for good. At this stage I feel that's not a bad
rate, or should I be imprisoned as a mass murderer?

Maybe a percentage lost, and an estimate of collection size would be a good
indicator. I'm at about 5 trees that actually look like something, and about
15 others in assorted stages of development, not including cuttings,
seedlings, layers, etc.
Let's go high and say 4 a year, out of 20... 20%. 20% mortality is high
unless we're talking about spider young or fish eggs or something...

Overwatering tends to be the most likely cause of death early on is what
I've generally found, but what tends to be the cause 10 or 15 years down the
road?

Just curious.

Regards and low mortality rates to all.

Justin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Craig Cowing

On Aug 15, 2005, at 11:53 PM, Justin Luis Diaz wrote:

I'm in about year 3 or 4 of my bonsai experience, and I'm curious
about how
many plants are lost each year. At this point I have a few trees that
I feel
are actually starting to look like something. But, I'm still losing
trees to
assorted reasons, most of which are out of my control... things like
squirrels in the night, or cats. Mostly they're seedlings or cuttings
or
trees in thier first year of training, so I'm frustrated but not
devastated.
More to the point...
snip

Justin

I lose a few each year. Different reasons. Doing too much at once used
to be the main reason. This spring I lost my favorite juniper. It
never bounced back after coming out of winter storage, and I don't know
why.

I lose one or two tropicals or succulents, during the winter, usually
because I miss watering them, or they aren't getting enough light, or
scale sets in.

Even the big boys (and I'm nowhere near that) lose trees occasionally,
so don't think it's lack of experience that causes it. These are living
things, and they eventually die. Our job is to be sure that death comes
later rather than sooner.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Michael Persiano

Justin:

Everyone (yes, everyone) loses trees. All bonsai have a limited lifespan, but the lifespan can be quite significant for any tree if precautions are taken.

Trees die from a number of reasons:

1. Natural events (storms have taken more than one of my trees).
2. Insects and Common Disease (most of which can be dealt with through preventative maintenance, insecticides and fungicides).
3. Mismanagement (this is where insufficient soil, overwatering, inadequate fertilizing, and poor bonsai technique destroy trees).

Nothing is guaranteed in this living art, but I can assure you that study, practice, and patience can result in a group of bonsai that thrive under your experienced care throughout your life.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 16-08-2005, 04:16 PM
dalecochoy

Old 17-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Layne

Probably, but I figure it can't hurt. I've tried Superthrive (just to
see) and it's just about as or more expensive as HB101. My mainstay in
any fertilizing has been cold processed liquid kelp along with some
form of liquid organic fertilizer and all my plants are happy on that
regimen. But, I was curious to see what might happen on this Butterfly
that's been having branch die back. I've had it for about a year and
this year and last it has had quite a few branches turn to wood. If I
see no branch die back next season while using HB101 I may keep using
it on that tree and perhaps all my other trees.

Layne

Old 17-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Sue Marsh

snip
... things like
squirrels in the night, or cats.

I've resorted to tying down pots on their stands if it's something I don't
want smashed.... Just run some twine or wire under the stand, over the pot,
and back under the stand. You have to do it on both ends of the pot
(whichever shape) for best results. Only works if you don't use the "lift
the pot" method of watering though . Since we got rid of the cat and my
doggie *loves* squirrels I haven't had any knocked over in a while... Had a
juniper jump of the end of a table and smash all over the ground-I put it
into a new pot (same size) and now I don't even remember which one it is
Another option if you're desperate would be do put some crinkly stuff
(tinfoil? plastic wrap? tape sticky side up?) around the pots-cats hate
stepping on crinkly stuff!

Susan Marsh

Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Craig Cowing

On Aug 17, 2005, at 8:51 AM, Sue Marsh wrote:

snip
... things like
squirrels in the night, or cats.

snip

Another option if you're desperate would be do put some crinkly stuff
(tinfoil? plastic wrap? tape sticky side up?) around the pots-cats
hate stepping on crinkly stuff!

Susan Marsh

_

For cats, another possibility is large marble chips or gravel--like
1/2" or bigger. They don't like to walk on large gravel like that
because it hurts their feet.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Lookout for KC52 YRY Jose Sanchez is a pedo United Kingdom 0 11-07-2010 10:14 AM
[IBC] superthrive Tlsrider Bonsai 9 14-03-2005 01:41 PM
[IBC] **** Superthrive Makes it Big-Time Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 27-10-2003 06:02 PM
[IBC] Epsom salts and superthrive Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 1 18-10-2003 12:02 PM
[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM