Old 28-03-2003, 12:56 PM
sbudi

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

Anita, you very generous and great.
Budi
Old 28-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Chris McMillan

In message
87FC4D6C5FBDD311A6F00008C7E6F4C6243260BB@excmsg01 ptlge.penske.com,
"Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL" writes

Oak,

Can oaks be turned into bonsai trees? Believe it or not I have SIX baby
oak trees sitting on my window sill this very minute.

Years ago more as something to do Hazel picked up some acorns and grew
them into miniature trees which when she was about 12 we handed over to
the local tree planting group. She's never really forgiven me for not
being able to take her to see where they were taken.

More as a joke (again) on a UK newsgroup last autumn we said we'd
collect more acorns and conkers and have another go. The conkers seem to
have gone AWOL in the workshop because we were told not to plant them
when we collected them - but out of the 10 acorns which we picked up
from a tree locally, six are sitting here.

So if they can be turned into bonsai, what do we do?

I'm intending to go and see if our main library in town has any books
for beginners (yes, I've seen which books are on amazon.co.uk but I
can't decide which to go for apart from the A - Z of plants)

Sincerely, Chris
--
Chris McMillan
reply to:
Old 28-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Alan Walker

Chris: Yes, you can bonsai an oak. It's just a very long term project.
By the way, you are welcome to any of the many oak seedlings which come up in my
gutters and yard. They're very easy to start.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
===============================
Chris McMillan wrote:
[...]

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Jim Lewis

In message

87FC4D6C5FBDD311A6F00008C7E6F4C6243260BB@excmsg01 ptlge.penske.co
m,
"Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL" writes

Oak,

Can oaks be turned into bonsai trees? Believe it or not I have

SIX baby
oak trees sitting on my window sill this very minute.

Which oak? Some make good bonsai, some don't. They're long-term
projects, in any event. Especially from seed.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 29-03-2003, 08:44 AM
kevin bailey

Oaks can be excellent bonsai. One of mine is coming along nicely. Take a
look if you like. http://www.actionvideo.freeserve.co.uk/kev'soak.htm
This one is a collected specimen though.

Plant them in the ground for four or five years and keep cutting the top
back two or three times per season. Lift each spring and rearrange the
roots especially reducing any tap root.

I tried bonsaing from acorn about 15 years ago and still have the tree
that has spent its entire life in a pot. It is a thin sickly specimen in
comparison to the many that I've done by planting them out in the
ground.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Zone 9, Vale of Clwyd, North Wales, UK

Chris McMillan wrote:
[...]

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Craig Cowing

kevin bailey wrote:

snip

I tried bonsaing from acorn about 15 years ago and still have the tree
that has spent its entire life in a pot. It is a thin sickly specimen in
comparison to the many that I've done by planting them out in the
ground.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Zone 9, Vale of Clwyd, North Wales, UK

If it were me I'd collect. I've collected some red oak around here. I found one
in a semi-boggy area that should be very nice after it recovers for a year in the
ground. I understand the appeal of growing from seed, though, although I don't
think I'd live long enough to see the project through!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Chris McMillan

In message , Alan Walker
writes
Chris: Yes, you can bonsai an oak. It's just a very long term project.
By the way, you are welcome to any of the many oak seedlings which come
up in my
gutters and yard. They're very easy to start.

I'm in the UK Alan: I think I'd better find my own. :-) And Jim has
given some much needed advice: my babies are not the right sort of oaks
for bonsai so they will continue to grow to be big oaks and will
eventually go to a local conservation group - at least this time Hazel
can drive (neither her dad nor I can see enough to drive) her own trees
and see where they come to rest!

Sincerely, Chris
Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Chris McMillan

In message 000001c2f5cb$d35ba500$44dc883e@Action, kevin bailey
writes
Oaks can be excellent bonsai. One of mine is coming along nicely. Take a
look if you like. http://www.actionvideo.freeserve.co.uk/kev'soak.htm
This one is a collected specimen though.

Plant them in the ground for four or five years and keep cutting the top
back two or three times per season. Lift each spring and rearrange the
roots especially reducing any tap root.

I tried bonsaing from acorn about 15 years ago and still have the tree
that has spent its entire life in a pot.

My bonsai would have to be pot only: there isn't spare ground for more
tree. The leaf is bigger than yours so maybe its not a viable option
this time. :-)

But I am going to get my hands on the herbs bonsai book if I can: that
could well be an option as we grow them anyway.

Sincerely, Chris
Old 31-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Just wanted to follow-up...

Thanks again to everyone for the advice/suggestions. The rain held off long
enough Friday for me to get out for several hours. I have to say, I was
very disappointed though. I'm not finished yet, but almost all of the the
really nice looking trees that were small enough to carry ended up being
large "suckers" with practically no independant root system to speak of. If
I had more time, I'd probably try air-layering a bunch of stuff; but they
are already in there with chain saws and bull-dozers...

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Just wanted to follow-up...

Thanks again to everyone for the advice/suggestions. The rain

held off long
enough Friday for me to get out for several hours. I have to

say, I was
very disappointed though. I'm not finished yet, but almost all

of the the
really nice looking trees that were small enough to carry ended

up being
large "suckers" with practically no independant root system to

speak of. If
I had more time, I'd probably try air-layering a bunch of

stuff; but they
are already in there with chain saws and bull-dozers...

You can treat a "sucker" (especially if there are a few roots)
like you would a cutting and often have some success. Trees that
sucker are, almost by definition, filled with the "will to live."

Unfortunately, trees that sucker also seem to be trees with
coarse branching and large internodes (except, perhaps, for
Prunus and Fagus).

Old 31-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Do you cut above the main root or include part of it?

Unless I'm totally off in my ID's, some of these are Beech, some are Willow
and some are Hawthorn (at least they have some wicked looking thorns on
them).

snip

Old 31-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Well, I'll state the obvious first: Include whatever part has
some of the smaller feeder roots on it. Then, I'd cut it
something like an upside-down T. I'd scrape away the bark along
the top of the T (the bottom of the "cutting" in this case)
except near where the rootlets come out and treat that scraped
part and the cut ends with rooting hormone. Keep the hormone
well away from the rootlets; it can actually INHIBIT their
functioning.

From that point, treat as a cutting.

If they are willow, don't bother with all that stuff. Just jam a
stick into the ground and wait. The beech should root OK handled
as I describe. The haws will be more difficult (In MY
experience), if not impossible.

David Thoreau - Walden

Do you cut above the main root or include part of it?

Unless I'm totally off in my ID's, some of these are Beech,

some are Willow
and some are Hawthorn (at least they have some wicked looking

thorns on
them).

snip

You can treat a "sucker" (especially if there are a few roots)
like you would a cutting and often have some success. Trees

that
sucker are, almost by definition, filled with the "will to

live."

Unfortunately, trees that sucker also seem to be trees with
coarse branching and large internodes (except, perhaps, for
Prunus and Fagus).

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life
is
David Thoreau - Walden

***************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen

Gardenworks++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 31-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Thanks. I'll stick to Beeches and just keep looking until I find a Hawthorn
with actual roots. I already have 1 Willow - don't think I'd have time for
another one!