Old 14-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Norma Briggs

Default snails

I have a horrible snail problem, they munched up all the leaves on several marigolds over night...all that is left is the stems. I read that you can put out a bowl of beer as bait. Does this work? Drives me nuts to do this much work to have snails eat my goods after so much work nurturing from seeds.

I am trying not to use the Bug B Gone, or other toxic stuff in my yard or it would be an easy solution.

Other suggestions? I don't want them getting in to my tomatoes and basil, or anything else for that matter.

---
Old 14-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Jim

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:55:14 GMT, "Norma Briggs"
wrote:

I have a horrible snail problem, they munched up all the leaves on =
several marigolds over night...all that is left is the stems.

snip

There's the issue, they come out at night. Either you go out with a
flashlight & pick them off the plants (as I did several times) or
resort to slug/snail bait (it works).

I am trying not to use the Bug B Gone, or other toxic stuff in my yard =
or it would be an easy solution.

Agreed.

Other suggestions? I don't want them getting in to my tomatoes and =
basil, or anything else for that matter.

I tried the beer trick, didn't work for me. Might try diatomaceous
earth (caution, the price of this commodity varies, and the larger
sacks are often *much* cheaper per pound) sprinkled on the surface or
some other irritant.

Jim
Old 14-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Setzler

You can use beer traps, diatomaceous earth, salt, or Sluggo, or Escar go. the
last 2 are "natural" and harmless to soil or any other critters. Beer in little
saucers, or jar lids will drown quite a few

susan

Old 14-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Norma Briggs

A few years ago, I could have never imagined going outside with a flash
light in the middle of the night...now I can see clearly that this is
war....lol...me against the snails. I am human, surely I can outsmart them.
I can also see my kids and neighbors thinking I am nuts....

Hrm? wonder if I can train my dog to bark at snails? Could be a real market
for snail sniffing hounds...

Old 14-04-2003, 07:20 PM
SugarChile

Try Sluggo, or Escargo. They are made from iron phosphate, are harmless to
people and pets, and biodegrade. For reasons unclear to me, my local garden
centers are reluctant to carry these products, but I've ordered Sluggo
successfully from:
http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm
No affiliation, yadda yadda. I believe Garden's Alive carries the
Escargo. The product seems a bit expensive, but it works very well, and a
little goes a long way. You can do the beer saucer/handpicking thing until
you can obtain some.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA
"Norma Briggs" wrote in message
I have a horrible snail problem, they munched up all the leaves on several
marigolds over night...all that is left is the stems. I read that you can
put out a bowl of beer as bait. Does this work? Drives me nuts to do this
much work to have snails eat my goods after so much work nurturing from
seeds.

I am trying not to use the Bug B Gone, or other toxic stuff in my yard or it
would be an easy solution.

Other suggestions? I don't want them getting in to my tomatoes and basil, or
anything else for that matter.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 14-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:30:03 GMT, "Norma Briggs"
wrote:

A few years ago, I could have never imagined going outside with a flash
light in the middle of the night...now I can see clearly that this is
war....lol...me against the snails. I am human, surely I can outsmart them.
I can also see my kids and neighbors thinking I am nuts....

Several years I couldn't figure out why my peas would sprout one day,
be *totally* gone the next. Finally went to the garden with
flashlight & empty plastic peanut butter container. There were so
many slugs in the garden that I filled the container two nights in a
row. Finally made a dent in the population but also converted to
slug/snail bait (all's fair in war)

You can outsmart them, but they *vastly* outnumber you. Remember to
remove/change any places they may hide during the day.

Good luck out there!

rest snipped

Jim
Old 14-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Monique Reed

Puts me in mind of the Fred LeBeouf (Too Slim) song "The Salting of
the Slug"
(Though I may have misremembered the name of the town)

When first I came to Shively
My fortune there to find
I met some jolly countrymen
On barbeque we dined
The talk soon turned to manly sport
While the old style we chugged
And they said, "Lad ya haddena lived
Till you had salt the slug".

We rais-ed high our shakers full
Of Mortons finest grain
I crept out to the garden damp
There to begin the game
We watched each creature swell and pop
Did thrill me to the core
And every slug did learn that night
That when it rains it pours.

So if you're e'er in Shively
Quaffin' chilly brew
And hearty lads and lassies fair
Do salt a slug or two
Pray, join the sport and company
Forsaking sex or drugs
God bless us jolly salters and
Take pity on the slug.

Monique Reed
Old 15-04-2003, 04:32 AM
mike

Hand picking at night is very effective, but it has to be done regularly
for a time and then you can slack off.

My method is a flashlight and a sharp pair of siccors. I snip their
shells in half, or decapitate them on the spot, slugs get sliced in two.
It takes some time to get them all, but they also fertilize the soil
where I leave them lie.

This has been the most effective method I have ever used (forget beer,
correy's, deadline, and snairol..Please!). Also, I get to see the garden
and it's brethren, at night, in an entirely different light.

good luck,

Mike

Old 15-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Pam

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 15 Apr 2003 03:25:58 GMT,
mike proclaimed:

Hand picking at night is very effective, but it has to be done regularly
for a time and then you can slack off.

If you're not into those nocturnal excursions, put a board in
your flower bed. Slugs will crawl under it after they've finished
feeding, and you can move it and kill 'em then. I take the
board and any slugs that h\are clinging to it and place it
slug-side-up in the middle of the driveway for a birdie
smorgasbord.

Or you can put a box turtle in your garden. Just be ready to
share a few tomatoes with him and know where he is before
you mow. sigh My old Australian Shepherd knew how to
"find the turtle" without hurting him. I'm afraid my beloved
Thunderpuppies would think a turtle was a toy to be fetched
and played with, so no turtles for me right now.

True story, my Aussie/lab mix, Matilda fetched me a possum
one night. She was *so* proud when she dropped that hissing,
****ed-off possum at my feet. Up until that time, one of the Joys
of Matilda had been the establishment of a possum-free zone
around the house. We had to have a looong talk, Matilda and I.

Pam

Old 15-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Norma Briggs

so sorry bout the possum...lol...that has happened to me also. Darn thing
started running round the living room trying to get away from the dog...OMG
what a mess!

By the time it was over I had gone for the shovel-careful to leave the door
open-scooped up and threw the possum threw it in one swift motion...the dog
was not happy with me...oh well

Old 16-04-2003, 02:44 AM
John S. DeBoo

Norma Briggs wrote:

I have a horrible snail problem, they munched up all the leaves on
several marigolds over night...all that is left is the stems. I
read that you can put out a bowl of beer as bait. Does this work?
Drives me nuts to do this much work to have snails eat my goods
after so much work nurturing from seeds. I am trying not to use
the Bug B Gone, or other toxic stuff in my yard or it would be an
easy solution. Other suggestions? I don't want them getting in to
my tomatoes and basil, or anything else for that matter.

I was in a local nursery this past weekend and noted that they were
SELLING snails. This piked my interest as I like the rest of the
sane world would prefer to get rid of them, not buy them. I asked
and was told that this variety eats other snails. Then I quietly
wonder, what do they eat when the other snails have all been
consumed - my plants or my dogsG?

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 16-04-2003, 02:56 AM
John S. DeBoo

Jim wrote:

Several years I couldn't figure out why my peas would sprout one day,
be *totally* gone the next. Finally went to the garden with
flashlight & empty plastic peanut butter container. There were so
many slugs in the garden that I filled the container two nights in a
row. Finally made a dent in the population but also converted to
slug/snail bait (all's fair in war)

I was born & raised near Seattle where slugs are as abundant as rocks. I found
3 things in my youth that slugs do not like.
1- BB guns
2- salt poured on them
3- ducks, we had 2 and they loved to be loose for a bit in the yard feasting on
slugs.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 22-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Gayle Surrette

When I first had a snail problem I tried beer and it
worked but I don't drink so I wasn't always sure where
to pick it up. Someone told me that what they really go
for is the yeast so I just put a tablespoon (1 packet)
of yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar.
Let it sit for a while (it will foam a bit) and then
pour in jar lids and sit it out.

Good luck,
Gayle

Norma Briggs wrote:
I have a horrible snail problem, they munched up all the leaves on
several marigolds over night...all that is left is the stems. I read
that you can put out a bowl of beer as bait. Does this work? Drives me
nuts to do this much work to have snails eat my goods after so much
work nurturing from seeds.

Gayle Surrette STC at NOAA/NESDIS/IPD
(301) 457 5254 MAIL Address:
FB#4 Room 3045
4700 Silver Hill Road, Stop 9909
Washington, DC 20233-9909
Old 28-04-2003, 10:08 PM
The Guy

In article ,
Gayle Surrette wrote:

When I first had a snail problem I tried beer and it
worked but I don't drink so I wasn't always sure where
to pick it up. Someone told me that what they really go
for is the yeast so I just put a tablespoon (1 packet)
of yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar.
Let it sit for a while (it will foam a bit) and then
pour in jar lids and sit it out.

Good luck,
Gayle

Do beer traps also work on slugs?

Steve O
--
Steve O The best defense is an effective offense. Sun Tzu ca. 525 BC