Old 26-08-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Purslane

From: "Arri London"
Date: Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:09 AM

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)
(clipped Verdolaga recipe)

Thanks so much Arri, I had forgotten the Spanish word for it. My mostly pale
neighbors thought I was crazy for suggesting they could eat the weeds...
There is so much good food for the adventurous.
Edrena

Old 26-08-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Bob, I think it's nice paired with those soba noodles and whatever else.
Adds a tiny bit of crunch. I usually put a little of whatever leftover meat
or veggies or in the fridge, along with some soup base or broth.
Edrena

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)

2 cups purslane
4 tbs fat (lard is good here) or 1/2 cup diced salt pork
2 tbs chopped onion
1 cup shredded cooked meat (jerky preferred)
1 tsp ground coriander seed
salt to taste

Wash purslane leaving stems. Fry onion in fat; add purslane and meat.
Season. Cover and cook until tender.

You realize, I trust, that you just killed 2 cups of purslane and their
health benefits. The omega-3 fatty acids are meant to protect against
heart disease not facilitate it.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 28-08-2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Bob, I think it's nice paired with those soba noodles and whatever else.
Adds a tiny bit of crunch. I usually put a little of whatever leftover meat
or veggies or in the fridge, along with some soup base or broth.
Edrena

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)

2 cups purslane
4 tbs fat (lard is good here) or 1/2 cup diced salt pork
2 tbs chopped onion
1 cup shredded cooked meat (jerky preferred)
1 tsp ground coriander seed
salt to taste

Wash purslane leaving stems. Fry onion in fat; add purslane and meat.
Season. Cover and cook until tender.

Serve wrapped in hot flour tortillas? :-d
--

You could do that. Or serve it on fresh fry bread or with rice.
Old 28-08-2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

From: "Arri London"
Date: Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:09 AM

Or you can try this New Mexican way of preparing purslane (verdolaga)
(clipped Verdolaga recipe)

Thanks so much Arri, I had forgotten the Spanish word for it. My mostly pale
neighbors thought I was crazy for suggesting they could eat the weeds...
There is so much good food for the adventurous.
Edrena

You most welcome! Usually I make a salad of the purslane but that recipe
is tasty too.
Old 28-08-2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

[...]

ROTFL! So don't cook it that way. The fatty acids are probably
heat-proof anyway otherwise not much point in eating cooked fish.

Old 28-08-2007, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

[...]

ROTFL! Do you understand anything about saturated fats?

Old 28-08-2007, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

[...]

Rice sounds good...

I was just thinking "Texas style".
That recipe almost sounds like a taco meat recipe. Just needs more
additions such as Garlic and Cumin.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-08-2007, 08:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

[...]

I think he was critical of the addition of Lard and Salt Pork. ;-)
For those that still believe that eating animal fat is unhealthy, it
would sound like Heart attack on a plate.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-08-2007, 08:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Billy wrote:

ROTFL! So don't cook it that way. The fatty acids are probably
heat-proof anyway otherwise not much point in eating cooked fish.

ROTFL! Do you understand anything about saturated fats?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Do you?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 29-08-2007, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

[...]

Yes indeed. That's why I eat them in moderation. The dish can be cooked
in veg oil as is commonly done around here.

Old 29-08-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article , Arri London
wrote:

[...]

A triple by-pass actually.

What source do you have that fats that are solid at room temperature are
healthy?

Old 29-08-2007, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I think he was critical of the addition of Lard and Salt Pork. ;-)
For those that still believe that eating animal fat is unhealthy, it
would sound like Heart attack on a plate.

A triple by-pass actually.

What source do you have that fats that are solid at room temperature are
healthy?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

http://tinyurl.com/yw9s9v

I'd suggest you do more research.
More and more, high triglyceride levels appear to cause more damage.

Guess what causes them to be high?

It's not fat...

Mine used to run around 600 mg/dl. when I was in college.
Now they run around 80 mg/dl.

Fat was not what I gave up to do that.
Oddly enough, my endocrinologist knows this and congratulates me for
giving up sugar and starch for the most part when she sees my blood
levels. :-)

Don't buy soft drinks or donuts, or bread.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 29-08-2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

To add to above, I wonder sometimes if it is from an over-indulgence of
alcohol and/or genetics.
I have chocolate practically every day (albeit dark) and have a glass of
wine or port, eat lots of bread and never think about whether I'm eating
carbs or starch and my trigl. are (almost) always below 100 -- in my younger
years, they were much higher, but I ate less fruits and veggies. - I just
looked and my last reading in July was 94.
Dee Dee

Old 29-08-2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Dee Dee" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I have no doubt that there is a genetic factor.

I can eat some of that stuff as treats but if it's the main part of my
diet, all bets are off.

My dad's used to run pretty high too so I probably inherited it from him.
His were up around 800 at one point. Now with our diet overhaul, his
stay under 150 most of the time. Mine are lower as I try a little
harder. ;-)

"Know thyself".

The thing is, if you trend towards hyperlipidemia, a dietary overhaul is
certainly in order.

But don't just look at saturated fats as the cause...
I've known more than one person that tried cutting fat and still drank
soda and ate "fat free" cookies by the box full.

They ended up on Statins.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 29-08-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

"Know thyself".

"...If you need help, call the F.B.I." ;-)

Bob