Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I ate a beet

tuckermor wrote:
Congratulations on your beet crop.
There is no sarcasm there, none, just sympathy.
I once decided to try growing wheat in my 4x16 vegetable bed. I used about
half of the bed for the wheat, and my friend with the electric flour mill
laughed and laughed when I showed up on his doorstep with my little pint jar
of wheat berries.
But hey, I had enough flour to make a *delicious* batch of whole wheat rolls
for Thanksgiving, and gained a much better understanding of what goes on up
there in North Dakota.

I planted some buckwheat out there, to attract bees, build the soil, but
I think it's in a spot that is too shady.

I also planted a container of snap beans. Got one plateful out of it.
But, by golly, I grew them.

What's a good shade tolerant veggie?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

tuckermor wrote:
Congratulations on your beet crop.
There is no sarcasm there, none, just sympathy.
I once decided to try growing wheat in my 4x16 vegetable bed. I used about
half of the bed for the wheat, and my friend with the electric flour mill
laughed and laughed when I showed up on his doorstep with my little pint
jar
of wheat berries.
But hey, I had enough flour to make a *delicious* batch of whole wheat
rolls
for Thanksgiving, and gained a much better understanding of what goes on up
there in North Dakota.

I planted some buckwheat out there, to attract bees, build the soil, but
I think it's in a spot that is too shady.

I also planted a container of snap beans. Got one plateful out of it.
But, by golly, I grew them.

What's a good shade tolerant veggie?

I'd like to know too.
I'm not sure there are any?

Maybe broad leaf greens such as chard?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

No jpeg? :-)

No,

Slacker! g

Ok, ok, give me another day, and I'll take a picture of what the beet
has become.

giggles

Believe it or not, there is a website for that. ;-)

http://www.ratemypoo.com/top.html

Do NOT click that link unless you have a strong stomach!!!

Honestly some people are so gross, and have WAY too much time on their
hands!

Or have a poop fetish.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

No jpeg? :-)

No,

Slacker! g

Ok, ok, give me another day, and I'll take a picture of what the beet
has become.

giggles

Believe it or not, there is a website for that. ;-)

http://www.ratemypoo.com/top.html

Do NOT click that link unless you have a strong stomach!!!

Honestly some people are so gross, and have WAY too much time on their
hands!

Or have a poop fetish.

As unsanitary a subject as it is, what comes out of us can be
instructive. If it is black, you may have internal bleeding or too much
iron in your diet. If you haven't been eating beets and it comes out
red, you have bleeding. If there are things moving on it, you have
problems. If it comes out hard, you need more fiber. If it comes out
loose, you should consider what you ate. If it comes out unexpectedly,
you may need to see a doctor. You you don't poop, you can probably
expect to explode before you turn fifty;-)

--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 11-11-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Man, I can't wait until I get some land. Hard to change the world on my
10x12 concrete patio.

Sounds to me like you need to start thinking outside the box.. as in
stacked containers? Secure well, the last thing you want is toppling
over when you are a week from harvest!!

|_/

|__/

|___/

|_____/

Old 11-11-2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
gonzo wrote:

Man, I can't wait until I get some land. Hard to change the world on my
10x12 concrete patio.

Sounds to me like you need to start thinking outside the box.. as in
stacked containers? Secure well, the last thing you want is toppling
over when you are a week from harvest!!

|_/

|__/

|___/

|_____/

A little bit here and a little bit there and it all adds up.

Eat Here, by Brian Halweil, p.162.

"Households with a bit of land might be surprised at their
capacity to satisfy some of their own food needs with a garden.
In Cuba, the 104,087 small urban and suburban gardens in the
form of patios, container plants, and "popular gardens" in tight
locations between houses and streets actually yield more produce
on just 3,595 hectares than all of the "organoponics" and inten-
sive market gardens combined.15

15. Fernando Funes et al. (eds.) Sustainable Agriculture and Resistance;
Transforming Food Production in Cuba(Oakland, California, Food First
Books. 2002) p.227.

Gonzo, keep on, keepin' on.

Old 13-11-2007, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

As unsanitary a subject as it is, what comes out of us can be
instructive. If it is black, you may have internal bleeding or too much
iron in your diet. If you haven't been eating beets and it comes out
red, you have bleeding. If there are things moving on it, you have
problems. If it comes out hard, you need more fiber. If it comes out
loose, you should consider what you ate. If it comes out unexpectedly,
you may need to see a doctor. You you don't poop, you can probably
expect to explode before you turn fifty;-)

Amusing. g

Last time dad bought some fresh beets and I cooked them for him, he'd
forgotten about that "side effect". About a day and a half after I fixed
them for him and he ate the entire bunch in one meal, (I'm not much of a
beet root fan, I like the greens), he came into my room after going to
the restroom and asked me if I could think of anything that would make
it look like he had a rectal bleed.

I continued with my e-mails and just said one word. "Beets". g

He calmed down and finally recalled that factoid... He is 75.

We don't serve fresh ones very often. I buy the salt-free canned more
and they don't do that.

Old 22-11-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Golden beets don't do that.
Old 22-11-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Red ones do.

Old 22-11-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

but not golden. ;-)

Old 22-11-2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Hm, do I really want to go there? grins

Old 22-11-2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Don't tell me that a proctology convention is breaking out he-0
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 23-11-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I'll be quiet now. g

Old 23-11-2007, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Golden beets don't do that.

Red ones do.

but not golden. ;-)

Hm, do I really want to go there? grins

Don't tell me that a proctology convention is breaking out he-0

I'll be quiet now. g

Buncha scaredy cats.
Old 23-11-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Golden beets don't do that.

Red ones do.

but not golden. ;-)

Hm, do I really want to go there? grins

Don't tell me that a proctology convention is breaking out he-0

I'll be quiet now. g

Buncha scaredy cats.

Just not scatological philosophists.