Old 17-02-2011, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

I listed the site
because you kept asking the same stupid question about "Again, no one
has
given any specific amount". Billy posted the numbers, I posted sites and
David used reason and you continue to doubt?

The killfile is very effective. I can recommend it's usage.

One post seems like a complement by calling me "less venal" less
corruptible and this post recommends the kill file on me

Interesting, very interesting

As I read FarmI's post, I saw it as her recommending that you, Nad R, should
killfile Gunner. I could be wrong but either way it shows how arguments
start and continue.

Mike

I will not kill file anyone. I enjoyed gunners comments and his links. I
believe in free speech. I will listen to those that I disagree with. The
reason for this is, I base my life on reason. I do not any trust reason
because it is based on presuppositions. If I find my presuppositions are
wrong then the reasoning conclusions could be wrong and then I need to
re-evaluate my thoughts.

It is those that always agree with me are the ones that I do not listen to.
Because I will learn nothing from them, therefore a waste of time. If my
opponents cannot defend his position then it reaffirms my reasoning and
presuppositions.

Old 17-02-2011, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DavidofWales wrote:
Hi I'm wondering if I could boil some tobaco in water and use the
resulting solution to spray on vedge as an insecticde? If so, what are
the ratios and will my vedge be ok to eat or will they become toxic?
Will they even be damaged by the spray?

If not does anybody else know of any cheap homemade alternatives to the
store bought stuff. I'm really trying to keep costs to a minimum this
year givien my skintness!

Many thanks

Dave

I still have an old bottle of Black Leaf 40 insecticide -- nicotine
sulfate. It's one of the few home use poisons with a "DANGER!"
warning on the label. I'm afraid to use it in my garden or on
seedlings just in case it's contaminated with tobacco mosaic virus.
(from what I remember, it works great on African violets.) It's
probably OK, but I don't want to take the chance.

There's no way I would use actual tobacco juice in my garden.

-Bob
Old 17-02-2011, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Gunny wrote:
Ahh... I understand now. Know it was the stupid rabbit David, not
you. I don't have you in the group that needs a hot coffee warning
label so as to know it might burn if you spill it on you.

Another urban myth for the chattering class.

And wrongly attributed to David.

Was not my intent. The miss information I was refuting came from Gunny,
who should have a warning lable, "Danger, Corporate Shill".

The only person from Oz that I would hold accountable would be Ruppert.

Seinfeld mocked it. Letterman ranked it in his top ten list. And more
than fifteen years later, its infamy continues.

A case of McFiction.

--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug
Old 17-02-2011, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Feb 16, 5:24 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Gunny wrote:
Ahh... I understand now. Know it was the stupid rabbit David, not
you. I don't have you in the group that needs a hot coffee warning
label so as to know it might burn if you spill it on you.

Another urban myth for the chattering class.

Its a joke Dumbass!!! but one would expect you to try to p[sycho
babble and google BS in an attempt to make yourself look cute,
take your pick he http://www.rinkworks.com/said/warnings.shtml

but it that all you got?

That is a great site!

A great site as a distraction from Gunny's stupid statement, but has no
connection to the subject under discussion.
Old 17-02-2011, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,

"Nad R" wrote in message
Gunney wrote:

I listed the site
because you kept asking the same stupid question about "Again, no one has
given any specific amount". Billy posted the numbers, I posted sites and
David used reason and you continue to doubt?

The killfile is very effective. I can recommend it's usage.

It has worked well for me. Gunny occasionally has useful information,
but more often he is just bored and trying to start an argument which he
will press with obfuscation, and distractions.

Old 17-02-2011, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

I listed the site
because you kept asking the same stupid question about "Again, no one has
given any specific amount". Billy posted the numbers, I posted sites and
David used reason and you continue to doubt?

The killfile is very effective. I can recommend it's usage.

One post seems like a complement by calling me "less venal" less
corruptible and this post recommends the kill file on me

Interesting, very interesting

Steady Nad, FarmI was suggesting a KF for Gunny. A suggestion which has
saved me time.
Old 17-02-2011, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

I listed the site
because you kept asking the same stupid question about "Again, no one
has
given any specific amount". Billy posted the numbers, I posted sites and
David used reason and you continue to doubt?

The killfile is very effective. I can recommend it's usage.

One post seems like a complement by calling me "less venal" less
corruptible and this post recommends the kill file on me

Well I don't consider you venal but the new David seems to do so.

And I do recommend the killfile. I use it to reduce the amount of rubbish
posts :-))

Interesting, very interesting

I wouldn't have thought so :-))

Agreed, my extensive use of the kill file has weeded out the Dr. Chung
knuckle-heads in sci.med.cardiology (about 75% of the posts). Makes
reading the group much more efficient.
Old 18-02-2011, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Nad R" wrote in message
Gunney wrote:

I listed the site
because you kept asking the same stupid question about "Again, no one
has
given any specific amount". Billy posted the numbers, I posted sites
and
David used reason and you continue to doubt?

The killfile is very effective. I can recommend it's usage.

It has worked well for me.

Me too. I never used to use the kill file but eventually I realised just
how much time I was wasting reading stuff that I didn't have to bother with.

Old 18-02-2011, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 17, 9:04*am, Billy wrote:

"Nad R" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Steady Nad, FarmI was suggesting a KF for Gunny. A suggestion which has
saved me time.
--

You and lil frannie mae keep saying this kill file thingie. Yet, here
you both are crowing about the same thing, still hoping to stir up

The solution is really quite simple, lil billy. DON’T READ IT. No
one can force you to read against your will, can they? Much less take
the conscious effort to write and express your disdain when someone
doesn't buy into your myopic eco-warrior CS. And yet, …..here you
are... again!

It is a repetitious pattern with you two. you and your ilk need a
nemesis to keep this facade of being the champion cock. You feed on
it... that and the weak. It helps you escape your little Walter
Mitty existence. You know if you couch your words just so.... you can
sound like your standing up to da man. If you cherry pick the right
Amazon book listing you can pull off the pseudo intellectual part as
well, if you can divert the attention to your message, plus your
safely protected by internet anonymity . Ya, there will always be
some in the yard that will follow. But know the flock is fickle.

Actually, it is fun for me to have you pretend you will kill
fileme .... this time for sure, right? This way I get to make fun of
you to your face and despite your surreptitious reading, you can't
respond till someone trips the pretense.. and only then do you get to
express your self-righteous indignation and do your your eco warrior
dance for the crowd.

So... hey, .... love the kf plan!

BTW fannie. your answer is... because it was inconsequential, and
yes, billy did get it wrong....again

Old 18-02-2011, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DavidofWales" wrote in message
news

Hi I'm wondering if I could boil some tobaco in water and use the
resulting solution to spray on vedge as an insecticde? If so, what are
the ratios and will my vedge be ok to eat or will they become toxic?
Will they even be damaged by the spray?

If not does anybody else know of any cheap homemade alternatives to the
store bought stuff. I'm really trying to keep costs to a minimum this
year givien my skintness!

Many thanks

Dave

--
DavidofWales

I live in a traditional tobacco(burley) growing area. It is quite common to
see the stalks used as fertilizer after the cured leaves are pulled from
them. They are mostly used on lawns and pasture, rarely on gardens. Tobacco
mosaic disease will affect vegetables in the nightshade family. The
fertilized break down is 2-1-7 and apparently readily soluble by rainwater.
Occasionally the stalks are used for staking pole beans. Those who use them
claim the advantage of free fertilizer and no bugs, but if you dig in the
ground after the growing season there are no earthworms. I have helped my
father and others produce tobacco in younger days and wouldn't recommend
eating anything tobacco was used on. From the time they sprout the plants
are treated with fungicides, pesticides, herbicides (in the field prior to
planting) and hormones (to prevent the plants from producing suckers after
they are topped (flower buds removed)). I personally have experienced
nicotine "highs", especially from handling the cured leaves. If you are
really such a tightwad learn to hand pick and use inspectoral soap.