Old 05-08-2011, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The smell

of freshly picked cantalope is wafting throughout my house . When I went
out to check the garden early this morning , I could smell the aroma when I
was still several feet away . Touched the stem and it fell off the fruit ,
so it's sittin' on my kitchen counter right now . I picked one the other day
, but got it just a tiny bit too early and it wasn't as sweet as I like -
the neighbor down the street got that one . Now if this steenkin' heat wave
would break , maybe my 'maters would start setting fruit again . Hasn't been
a bumper year for them , but there's still hope ! Got a few on the plants ,
and some are starting to ripen . Now all I gotta do is beat the bugs to them
!

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 06-08-2011, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/05/2011 09:52 AM, Snag wrote:
of freshly picked cantalope is wafting throughout my house . When I went
out to check the garden early this morning , I could smell the aroma when I
was still several feet away . Touched the stem and it fell off the fruit ,
so it's sittin' on my kitchen counter right now . I picked one the other day
, but got it just a tiny bit too early and it wasn't as sweet as I like -
the neighbor down the street got that one . Now if this steenkin' heat wave
would break , maybe my 'maters would start setting fruit again . Hasn't been
a bumper year for them , but there's still hope ! Got a few on the plants ,
and some are starting to ripen . Now all I gotta do is beat the bugs to them
!

Just what part of the country are you located in?
You probably couldn't stand some real heat like we
have in West Texas. You probably, at least get rain
once in a while. Without an AC I would have died long
ago. The news said it's the hottest & driest first
seven months of the year since 1890.

I suspect by "maters" you mean tomatoes. The heat is what
seems like the culprit that is keeping mine from producing.
The beets, turnips, cabbage, kohlrabi and many others didn't
have a chance this year. The egg plant look like they're
starting to produce. Zucchini & green beans are doing good.

The only vegetation doing good is mesquite, and the only
animal life(so called) doing good are ants. We don't need
either one of those. If you stand in the wrong spot at night
you find big black ants crawling on you quick. "Deep Woods Off"
sprayed at the entrance of the garage keeps the ants out.
Amdro just makes them dig another entrance somewhere else.

Good luck with the heat & gardening.

--
Desert West Texas
GOOD NIGHT, Mrs. Calabash--wherever you are!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

I'm in Memphis Tennessee , and what we lack in temps we make up for with
humidity . We went straight from cool and rainy to hot and dry , my lettuce
never stood a chance . From what I've seen on the TeeVee news , this has
been a hotter than normal summer pretty much everywhere .
This is on the heels of a colder/wetter winter than normal ... My son
suggested I check out the websites about magnetic polar shifts , but I think
a lot of the stuff out there is the ravings of delusional fanatics . However
, there might be some basis in fact for that theory- it also suggests that
the numerous earthquakes we've seen in the last few years is correlated with
the magnetic shift . And some pretty prestigious groups have indeed been
tracking the shift . Could get to be a hairy situation if some of the
predictors are right ...

--
Snag
Got Guns ?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote in message
of freshly picked cantalope is wafting throughout my house . When I
went out to check the garden early this morning , I could smell the
aroma when I was still several feet away . Touched the stem and it
fell off the fruit , so it's sittin' on my kitchen counter right now .
I picked one the other day , but got it just a tiny bit too early and
it wasn't as sweet as I like - the neighbor down the street got that
one . Now if this steenkin' heat wave would break , maybe my 'maters
would start setting fruit again . Hasn't been a bumper year for them ,
but there's still hope ! Got a few on the plants , and some are
starting to ripen . Now all I gotta do is beat the bugs to them !

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

How may lopes? I have 2 hills and about 6 plants and only see 4 softball
sized fruit.
I've had plenty of pollinators the last month.

Zone 6 NY

Cheers

Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Martin Riddle wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

I've got about a dozen more in various stages of growth , on 6 plants . And
they're still bloomin' ...

And that one tastes as sweet as it smelled . Giant 'lope , about 10" long
and over 7" in diameter . And Juicy ! I made a mess of the countertop
cuttin' it up to put into a tupperware bowl for refrigerator storage .
I ended up puttin some in a ziploc , my second-biggest bowl wasn't big
enough . The biggest one is gonna be full of home made spaghetti sauce as
soon as it cools enough .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 06-08-2011, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/05/2011 07:48 PM, Snag wrote:
Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

Magnetic polar shifts is as good a reason as any I've heard.
It could be a combination of things.

Last night the news said were going to have another "La Nina"
where the equatorial waters will be cooler than normal, meaning
another year of above normal temperatures and less rain. Just
what we need. Personally I think some of the earthquake activity
is due to shifting geologic formations from draining the earth
of oil and gas. By the time humans figure out what is causing all
the problems it will probably be to late. That prediction of the
world ending in 2012 will be proved, one way or the other, soon.

--
I wonder if the Human race will survive long enough, to
get us off this planet, and find another one to destroy?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

I dunno if we've ruined this one , but I'm well enough prepared to fight
tooth and nail to keep my family and "stuff" safe ...

--
Snag
Don't ask for details

Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

Good luck with that.

You need to find out what your fighting
against, before you can fight it. Right
now I'm about to fight hunger.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

--
I wonder if the Human race will survive long enough, to
get us off this planet, and find another one to destroy?

I dunno if we've ruined this one , but I'm well enough prepared
to fight tooth and nail to keep my family and "stuff" safe ...

Good luck with that.

You need to find out what your fighting
against, before you can fight it. Right
now I'm about to fight hunger.

--

I fought that hours ago . The battle was won with homemade spaghetti (my
recipe , simmered all afternoon) and garlic bread .

Old 06-08-2011, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

--
[...]

Good-bye 21st Century, hello 12th.

A good book for the times

Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence by
Christian Parenti
http://www.amazon.com/Tropic-Chaos-C...nce/dp/1568586
000/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312648944&sr=1-1

It's about conflict that is driven by global warming.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

--
I wonder if the Human race will survive long enough, to
get us off this planet, and find another one to destroy?

I dunno if we've ruined this one , but I'm well enough prepared
to fight tooth and nail to keep my family and "stuff" safe ...

Good luck with that.

You need to find out what your fighting
against, before you can fight it. Right
now I'm about to fight hunger.

--

I fought that hours ago . The battle was won with homemade spaghetti (my
recipe , simmered all afternoon) and garlic bread .

That sounds good. I'm getting ready to cook pork chops, fried
zucchini & steamed rice, with tossed salad and lemon cake for
desert.

The battle for survival might be a bit more difficult ... and probably
bloody . Example - a former neighbor was overheard saying they were going to
shoot my generator (during a power outage) because it wasn't fair that I had
one and they didn't . They changed their mind when I stepped around the
corner and they saw my sidearm .

My neighbors have a generator so loud I can hear it from
1500 feet away, but I wouldn't consider shooting it.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 08/06/2011 11:45 AM, Billy wrote:

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

--
[...]

Global warming is only a convenient excuse for conflict,
which in todays society doesn't require a logical reason.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

--
[...]

Just ask if you can put something in their freezer or plug a fan or
two into their generator. We had a large generator that we used and a
small portable one that two of the neighbors swapped in and out. Half
day for each was enough to keep their freezers going.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

--
[...]

It wasn't because it was loud , it was because "It's unfair he's got one and
we don't" . Buying a genset would have cut into their drug money , which
they got by selling their food stamps . There's a large population of
"underpriveledged" people here - read "too lazy to work" . This same segment
of the populace thinks getting an education is being an "Uncle Tom" . I'll
let you fill in the blanks .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mysterious Traveler wrote:

--
[...]

Follow the money.