Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hops

Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so apologies
to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

Steve

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve B wrote:

Does anyone here grow hops?

My SIL in Portland, OR grows a trelise of them. They flowered just fine
the last time I saw them.

I don't know if your geography is too dry or hot for them.

I don't know if you can eat them, so apologies
to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

Herbs of various sorts are on topic for the group.

Let's see if I understand hops correctly - Like apples they do not breed
true so if you grow them from seed there is a very low chance the plant
will grow hops that taste good brewed into beer. As a result nearly all
hops are grown from cuttings or root stock of known good plants.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Doug Freyburger wrote:

As a result nearly all
hops are grown from cuttings or root stock of known good plants.

The good news is that hops grow like weeds from root cuttings, so are dead
easy to propagate. And they generally reach the second-story window by
mid-summer!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Gary Woods

Like with doctors, I don't always divulge all the information just to see
how good they really are .................

You guys seem to be knowledgeable, so ................

I live at 3700' elev, and am in a 5A USDA agricultural zone. It gets damn
hot here in the summer, and damn cold in the winter, but there are spaces in
between that are just beautiful. Not sure the time to ripeness for hops,
but maybe that additional bit of info may help.

It could be fun, but then, maybe not worth it at the cost of good hops from
all over the world at beer brew sites. AND, the longevity of storage.

As for so much garden stuff, a lot of it is the fun of growing it yourself,
and not actually in cost savings. Unless, of course, one could raise a
strain that was better one way or the other, and grew good in my location.
A few hundred feet of elevation, or a little difference here and there can
make a lot of difference in the final harvest.

Thanks for the info, people.

Steve

Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

OK, what recipes? Other that beer?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

OK, what recipes? Other that beer?

None I know of.

Class?

Class? .........................

"Beer is proof God loves us." - Benjamin Franklin _

Isn't beer a food group? .......................

Steve

Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

OK, what recipes? Other that beer?

From a quick google search, looks like there's a bread recipe. I'm sure
there has to be more, probably in underdeveloped countries where they will
eat ANYTHING.

Steve

Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And since hops are used in beer , I consider them edible . My non-drinking
Mormon Granny had a patch of hops in the back yard . I have no idea why or
what she used them for , but she wouldn't have let them grow if she didn't
have a use for 'em .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 02-11-2011, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And since hops are used in beer , I consider them edible . My non-drinking
Mormon Granny had a patch of hops in the back yard . I have no idea why or
what she used them for , but she wouldn't have let them grow if she didn't
have a use for 'em .

Used as a sleep aid.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...illow&ie=UTF-8
&oe=UTF-8

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

OK, what recipes? Other that beer?
Hops used for anything other than beer is a waste of hops!
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:30:16 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

OK, what recipes? Other that beer?

From a quick google search, looks like there's a bread recipe.

Beer is liquid bread!
On your hops question, I'm in USDA 5B (Southern Ontario, Canada) but
only at about 1000' elevation.
When I was brewing my own I had 5 different varieties growing on
trellises and they did exceptionally well here. The bines easily
topped out their 14' trellises and kept on growing.
They will spread via underground runners and are very easy to
propagate that way.
I did try ''wet hopping'' but IMO, they don't work well for beer when
freshly picked and must be dried.
You can supposedly make a very effective sleep pillow using hops but I
found when using them to brew beer, the end product was also a very
good sleep aid.

Ross.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ross@home wrote in

Beer is liquid bread!

There is an antique beer bottle from the turn of the century called "Liquid
Bread". It is unique because the bottles were cobalt blue glass, a beauty
as a stand alone bottle. With the label, they are VERY valuable.

Steve

Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And your point is?

What is the punishment for this?

Steve

Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .

"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And your point is?

What is the punishment for this?

Steve

I read that reply as telling the OP that the post was on topic, and as there
was only one line I had no need to read between them.

Mike

Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 145 10-03-2004 04:18 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 03:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 12:44 PM