Old 27-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default trapped skunk

In U_FAa.1036394$S_4.1044658@rwcrnsc53,
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

*Are you allowed to relocate wild animals in your area? In many cases it is
*a violation of state laws.......HW

There is a licensed wildlife rehabilitation center a couple of miles away.
I have relocated chipmunks with their help several times. I did call them
prior to starting trapping and moving the 'munks and got their ok. I am
not sure if my status as a state licensed veterinarian is at all relevant.

-h.

Old 27-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Setzler

Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

I've got a soft spot for skunks and enjoy watching them....the young play like
kittens. Despite their habit of digging up my yard in places, I know they're
keeping the voles and grubs in check and taking care of wee dead critters.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

They will also dig up ground hornet's nests and rid your yard of them.

susan

Old 27-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Pat Meadows wrote:

*On Mon, 26 May 2003 23:55:06 +0000 (UTC),
(Hillary Israeli) wrote:
*
*
*I can address this as well as the question someone else raised as to why I
*wanted to relocate chipmunks. The chipmunks have destroyed two years'
*worth of strawberry crops and frankly, I was hoping to get to eat a berry
*or two this year! I KNOW it is the chipmunks, as I see them stealing the
*berries .
*
*I think it would work better if you cover the strawberries
*(hardware cloth? window screening?) - if you relocate
*chipmunks, most likely more will just take their place.

I tried covering the strawberries last year; didn't work so well. Also,
what I forgot to mention but remembered earlier today as I was touring the
garden, is that the chipmunks are burrowing behind and therefore damaging
some of our dry stacked-stone retaining walls. That's the REAL reason we
need to get rid of the 'munks, although personally the strawberries are
what bug me more on a daily basis

Old 27-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Setzler wrote:

*
*
*Tyra Trevellyn wrote:
*
* I've got a soft spot for skunks and enjoy watching them....the young play like
* kittens. Despite their habit of digging up my yard in places, I know they're
* keeping the voles and grubs in check and taking care of wee dead critters.
*
* Best,
* Tyra
* nNJ usa
*
*They will also dig up ground hornet's nests and rid your yard of them.

well, that would be nice, but...

-hillary, keeper of the skunk, who has a gazillion ground wasps too...

Old 03-06-2003, 01:08 AM
KK from NJ

It is wrong to relocate wild animals. It spreads
disease (that is how rabies spreads so fast) and
the animal is unlikely to adapt to the new area
anyway.

If you have a pest animal that you need to get rid of,
trap it and kill it humanely. It is more humane.

According to our Fish+Game commission I can
relocate up to 10 miles away to private (with permission)
or state land. Last year we had an explosion of squirrels
in our area. I trapped easily over 50 of the bushy tailed
rats. I never could have killed them all.
Survival of the fittest.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Steve Calvin

KK from NJ wrote:

It is wrong to relocate wild animals. It spreads
disease (that is how rabies spreads so fast) and
the animal is unlikely to adapt to the new area
anyway.

If you have a pest animal that you need to get rid of,
trap it and kill it humanely. It is more humane.

According to our Fish+Game commission I can
relocate up to 10 miles away to private (with permission)
or state land. Last year we had an explosion of squirrels
in our area. I trapped easily over 50 of the bushy tailed
rats. I never could have killed them all.
Survival of the fittest.

In New York, it's legal to trap it but illegal to transport and
release.... Stupid state!

--
Steve