Old 26-06-2004, 10:03 PM
guppy

Default Dill?

Am seeking information on What I thought I planted, Dill. It smells like
dill(the foliage), but the flowers are single about 1 in. in diameter and
yellow with a crimson center. Unlike any dill I have seen before. Please
advise. Can post a picture if helpful. Would like to identify, although as
I have already used once in cooking (before flowers appeared) it does not
seem to be harmful at least in small quantities???

Old 26-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:40:07 -0400, "guppy" wrote:

Am seeking information on What I thought I planted, Dill. It smells like
dill(the foliage), but the flowers are single about 1 in. in diameter and
yellow with a crimson center. Unlike any dill I have seen before. Please
advise. Can post a picture if helpful. Would like to identify, although as
I have already used once in cooking (before flowers appeared) it does not
seem to be harmful at least in small quantities???

Do post a picture somewhere. Dill with yellow & red flowers would be
quite attractive in an herb garden. :-)

Old 27-06-2004, 12:03 AM
DigitalVinyl

"guppy" wrote:

can I post a picture attached to this message?

NEVER in a group that doesn't have the word .binaries. in its name.

You could post it to alt.binaries.test and then post here the name of
the posting in that group.

Several web sites offer free picture space.
for instance...
http://photos.yahoo.com/

"Frogleg" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:40:07 -0400, "guppy" wrote:

Am seeking information on What I thought I planted, Dill. It smells like
dill(the foliage), but the flowers are single about 1 in. in diameter

and
yellow with a crimson center. Unlike any dill I have seen before.

Please
advise. Can post a picture if helpful. Would like to identify, although

as
I have already used once in cooking (before flowers appeared) it does not
seem to be harmful at least in small quantities???

Do post a picture somewhere. Dill with yellow & red flowers would be
quite attractive in an herb garden. :-)

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html
Old 27-06-2004, 01:02 AM
guppy

hopefully this works, thanks for suggestions -

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sst...6Jexn4YN&.dir=
/10ca&.src=ph

photos should appear with link above

Old 27-06-2004, 05:07 AM
belly

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:40:07 -0400 in
WflDc.16572$WI2.3692@lakeread05, "guppy" graced the
world with this thought:

Am seeking information on What I thought I planted, Dill. It smells like
dill(the foliage), but the flowers are single about 1 in. in diameter and
yellow with a crimson center. Unlike any dill I have seen before. Please
advise. Can post a picture if helpful. Would like to identify, although as
I have already used once in cooking (before flowers appeared) it does not
seem to be harmful at least in small quantities???

Just curious... before I even look at the pics, why did you "think it
was dill?" I guess what I'm saying is, where'd you get it? Regardless
of what it looks like, if you bought it at a nursery, that's most
likely what it is. If you picked cuttings off the roadside, however,
that's a different story.
Old 27-06-2004, 05:07 AM
belly

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:44:51 -0400 in
XYnDc.16583$WI2.6105@lakeread05, "guppy" graced the
world with this thought:

hopefully this works, thanks for suggestions -

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sst...6Jexn4YN&.dir=
/10ca&.src=ph

photos should appear with link above

I've got to say, this doesn't look like any kind of dill I've ever
seen, foliage, flowers, or otherwise...
Old 27-06-2004, 06:03 AM
zxcvbob

"guppy" wrote in message

Am seeking information on What I thought I planted, Dill. It smells like
dill(the foliage), but the flowers are single about 1 in. in diameter and
yellow with a crimson center. Unlike any dill I have seen before.

Please

advise. Can post a picture if helpful. Would like to identify, although

as

I have already used once in cooking (before flowers appeared) it does not
seem to be harmful at least in small quantities???

That's not dill. Coreopsis maybe?

http://images.google.com/images?c2coff=1&q=dill

/bob
Old 27-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:41:06 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

guppy wrote:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sst...6Jexn4YN&.dir=
/10ca&.src=ph

That's not dill. Coreopsis maybe?

Looks like a Coreopsis to me, too.
Old 27-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Stan Goodman

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:40:07 UTC, "guppy" opined:
Am seeking information on What I thought I planted, Dill. It smells like
dill(the foliage), but the flowers are single about 1 in. in diameter and
yellow with a crimson center. Unlike any dill I have seen before. Please
advise. Can post a picture if helpful. Would like to identify, although as
I have already used once in cooking (before flowers appeared) it does not
seem to be harmful at least in small quantities???

Never heard of such a thing. The flower doesn't sound like anything that can
belong to a plant from this family. What did the seed look like? It should
have resembled carroway seed.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Old 27-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Grandpa

belly wrote:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sst...6Jexn4YN&.dir=
/10ca&.src=ph

photos should appear with link above

I've got to say, this doesn't look like any kind of dill I've ever
seen, foliage, flowers, or otherwise...

Doesn't look like whats growing in my backyard either.

Old 28-06-2004, 04:05 PM
mm

Hi, I grow herbs to sell at a local farmers market. As others have said,
this isn't dill of any form.
However, it does look like Coreopsis tinctoria (plains coreopsis). You
might do a google search on this, or go to Park Seed's web site as they sell
it, as compare.
Considering how fast my dill has been bolting lately, I think I'd rather
have this!
mel

Old 28-06-2004, 11:08 PM
guppy

I have to agree, I have 2 different kinds of dill growing as well, so I
think you are right about ir being coreopsis. No clue where i got the
seeds from, having moved from Southern Cal, to Northern Virginia and taking
my seeds with me. Maybe some got mixed up in the jumble of moving. Thanks
for the ID, it is too bad though, I thought it really added to the sauce I
used it in??? Is it known to be poisonous at all? I did not use a lot of
it but am wondering what would happen if I did. Not really brave enough
to risk it though.

Old 29-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:21:28 -0400, "guppy" wrote:

I thought it really added to the sauce I
used it in??? Is it known to be poisonous at all? I did not use a lot of
it but am wondering what would happen if I did. Not really brave enough
to risk it though.

Unless a plant is famously poisonous (Foxglove, Oleander), I don't
think there's anything harmful in sampling it. Most plants we don't
eat aren't harmful -- they just don't taste very good and/or have no
particular nutritional benefits.
Old 29-06-2004, 08:06 PM
guppy

Well, just FYI, then, the early leaves of this impart a fantastic dill
flavor...for those of you who are frustrated with bolting dill (as mine is
too)

Dill question al United Kingdom 0 09-06-2003 07:32 PM
Dill Cucumber recipe? Kellie J. Berger Edible Gardening 1 08-06-2003 03:20 PM
dill going to seed miklol United Kingdom 1 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
dill going to seed miklol United Kingdom 1 05-06-2003 12:22 AM
how can i dry Dill and other herbs? info Gardening 5 20-04-2003 09:08 PM