Old 26-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Dave

Default Grapes -- Uses?

Looks like I may have a bumper crop of grapes this year, although I've
done nothing to maintain the vines. My question is this; what can you
do with grapes? I don't know the variety but they have plenty of seeds.
My parents would sometimes make jelly or wine, but this hardly seems
worth the time and effort required. Are there any other ideas?

Thanks...

Old 26-06-2005, 03:11 PM
RR

"Dave" wrote:

Looks like I may have a bumper crop of grapes this year, although I've
done nothing to maintain the vines. My question is this; what can you
do with grapes? I don't know the variety but they have plenty of seeds.
My parents would sometimes make jelly or wine, but this hardly seems
worth the time and effort required. Are there any other ideas?

Thanks...

Forget the fruit. Use the leaves for dolmades.
http://www.mediterrasian.com/cuisine...h_dolmades.htm

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'15" North
80º13'32" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Old 26-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Thomas H. O'Reilly

If you get a good food mill, then separating the fruit from the grapes is
not so time consuming; then you can have some really tasty jam, or freeze
the flesh and use it in everything from water to putting it on pancakes.

ups.com...

Old 26-06-2005, 07:50 PM
shazzbat

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looks like I may have a bumper crop of grapes this year, although I've
done nothing to maintain the vines. My question is this; what can you
do with grapes? I don't know the variety but they have plenty of seeds.
My parents would sometimes make jelly or wine, but this hardly seems
worth the time and effort required. Are there any other ideas?

Thanks...

Eat them. Minimum time and effort.

Steve

Old 27-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Katra

In article . com,
"Dave" wrote:

Looks like I may have a bumper crop of grapes this year, although I've
done nothing to maintain the vines. My question is this; what can you
do with grapes? I don't know the variety but they have plenty of seeds.
My parents would sometimes make jelly or wine, but this hardly seems
worth the time and effort required. Are there any other ideas?

Thanks...

You can just juice them, then sweeten as necessary to taste.

If you use a Victorio strainer, that takes the work out of de-seeding
and peeling. Just run they thru whole. That tool is worth it's weight in
gold for processing grapes:

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...rod/vw200.html

I can't live without mine. :-)
Best juicer there is for making seedless jellies!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 27-06-2005, 04:01 AM
Dana Schultz

I juice them as well but in a steamer. The only thing left is the juice.
Just hot pack it and seal them. dilute with water to taste and add sugar to
taste.
Is my steamer ready Ross?

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid

Old 28-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Dave

Katra wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
Grapes [...] My parents would sometimes make jelly or wine,
but this hardly seems worth the time and effort required. Are
there any other ideas?

You can just juice them, then sweeten as necessary to taste.

If you use a Victorio strainer, that takes the work out of
de-seeding and peeling. Just run they thru whole. That tool is
worth it's weight in gold for processing grapes:

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...rod/vw200.html

I can't live without mine. :-)
Best juicer there is for making seedless jellies!

This might be a topic worthy of a little discussion. What are the
primary kitchen tools for a gardener?

Old 28-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Dianna Visek

I use a food mill to get rid of seeds, stems, and skins of currants
and grapes. I recently bought a cherry pitter, which is a real help.
It's the kind that looks like a meat grinder.

Dianna

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 29-06-2005, 12:47 AM
simy1

Interesting. Let me mention an idea of mine. We eat huge salads (my
garden is 70% greens, though I should have planted melons this year, so
warm it is), and a main reason for me mulching everything is that with
mulch the greens are usually clean (whereas lettuce from bare soil is
inevitably muddy after a rain). But we still have to wash them some.
The quickest way is to put them in the salad spinner with water, and
spin them. But the load is then a bit heavy, and after a while the
(plastic) spinner breaks. So, a primary kitchen too for me would be a
metal salad spinner, but I can not find one.

Old 29-06-2005, 04:21 AM
GA Pinhead

Canning or freezing? LOL!

food mill, everyone needs one
really good paring knife, same reason
food processor, I chop cilantro leaves, peppers in it. I freeze that in
snack bags, mmm cheese dip
tomato seeder/mill - one of the italian ones, quarter the sauce tomatoes
and run them through.

John!

Old 29-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Dave

GA Pinhead wrote:
Canning or freezing? LOL!

Canning is ruled out as being too much hot steamy work for July and
August.

food mill, everyone needs one
really good paring knife, same reason
food processor, I chop cilantro leaves, peppers in it. I freeze that in
snack bags, mmm cheese dip
tomato seeder/mill - one of the italian ones, quarter the sauce tomatoes
and run them through.

Seems a little vague. I bet I could find some very different things
that are all called "food mills."

Old 29-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 27 Jun 2005 20:54:43 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

This might be a topic worthy of a little discussion. What are the
primary kitchen tools for a gardener?

A knife and a fork.

I have a biological food grinder that empties into an acid-based
digester. It's a good system for me.

Penelope
Old 29-06-2005, 11:00 PM
GA Pinhead

Ok:

this is the kind I am referring to:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/national...g/21-1244.html

Old 29-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Dusty Bleher

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
GA Pinhead wrote:
Canning or freezing? LOL!

Canning is ruled out as being too much hot steamy work for July and
August.

Definitely!

food mill, everyone needs one
really good paring knife, same reason
food processor, I chop cilantro leaves, peppers in it. I freeze that in
snack bags, mmm cheese dip
tomato seeder/mill - one of the italian ones, quarter the sauce tomatoes
and run them through.

One of my favorite and oft used tools is what we call our "Japanese food
processor". Pix he
http://www.quickspice.com/scstore/im...olin_lg-01.jpg

It's a handy little puppy. But be careful, it's very sharp!

Dusty

more grapes vs better grapes [email protected][_2_] Gardening 4 08-07-2013 01:10 AM
Poplar tree - uses P&J United Kingdom 40 03-09-2003 09:12 PM
alternative plant uses - not found in books... Tomatolord North Carolina 2 15-05-2003 03:44 PM
Top ten uses for discarded rose canes R & L Porter Roses 5 14-05-2003 08:20 PM
Uses for plastic poultry manure tubs?? Liz & Andy United Kingdom 4 14-05-2003 06:20 PM