Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Why did I plant zucchini...

....when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
" wrote:

...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

i love them stuffed.
Saute with some garlic and herbs
Grated and cooked with corn and diced onion and used as enchilada filling

marcella
Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Boron Elgar

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:27:14 GMT,
" wrote:

...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Take them into work and leave them anonymously.

Boron
Old 06-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Sue

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:27:14 GMT,
" wrote:

...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

I always cook them with stewed tomatoes.
Sue

Old 06-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Sue

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:44:20 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:27:14 GMT,
" wrote:

...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Take them into work and leave them anonymously.

Back when I actually had a crop (why do those darned things turn
yellow and rot at about 1" long?) that's what I did.
Sue

Boron

Old 06-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Steve

Boron Elgar wrote:
Take them into work and leave them anonymously.

Boron

Yeah, that's what everyone else does.

Actually, years ago, I thought breading and frying was the only way to
eat them. I haven't done that in years.
I like them now cooked very simply. I just steam them (or boil them)
until they get barely tender. They should still be a little crispy, not
cooked to mush. A little salt and a little butter and they are really good.
The trick is to stay ahead of them and pick them when still very tender.
No more than a few days after flowering. Healthy fast growing plants may
produce 8 or 9 inch zucchinis in a few days that will still be tender.
Stressed plants may take longer to make a smaller zucchini that is past
it's prime. If you neglect to pick them and they get too big, it's time
to take them to work.
One other thing, zucchini is best cooked right after being picked. This
is at least as important as it is with sweet corn. If I have zucchini
laying around for much more than a day, I throw it away and pick more.
If you fry it, you may not notice the difference but it's pretty obvious
when you steam it.

Steve
Old 06-07-2005, 03:00 AM
Steve

Sue wrote:

................... (why do those darned things turn
yellow and rot at about 1" long?) ..................

Lack of pollination. If bees are not doing the job you need to go out in
the morning and do it yourself.

Steve
Old 06-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Katra

In article ,
" wrote:

...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Lightly steamed in chunks.

Grilled unbreaded in slices, marinate with salad dressing.
Foreman grill or open grill works.

Shredded and served raw on salads.

Cut into thick strips, dip in ranch dressing and eat raw.

LOTS of ways to prepare this wonderful veggie! :-)

HTH?

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 06-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Boron Elgar

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:58:30 -0400, Steve wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
[...]

Last night's (picked an hour before) were sauteed with some onion, a
tomato, a bit of tarragon, thyme, salt & pepper. Love that garden.

Still, in another week there will be more zucchini than lighting bugs
out there. It is my neighbor's fault - she gave me the seedlings.

Boron
Old 06-07-2005, 03:44 AM
DigitalVinyl

grilled with a little oil, onions and yellow squash great side veggie

Halve, Scoop out the center seedy part and stuff like a boat with
different mixtures. ground Italian suasage, marinara, mushroom, onion
and some seasonsings is a good one.

Zucchini pie - basically a zucchini quiche, get the mix right and it
is absolutely delicious.

Shread and use as vegetarian filling. I like a lot of veggies in my
meatloaf, I use shredded zucchini well pressed (to eliminate water).
I've also considered trying to use zucchini as a sub for potato in
swiss potato pancakes(forget the words for it, rotti? something like
that, shredded potato, onion, butter, shredded cheese, pressed in a
frying pan and becomes like a hash brown. I want to try zucchini in
that with mozz &/or provolone and probably some diced roasted redder
pepers.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 06-07-2005, 12:39 PM
The Cook

" wrote:

...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Make pickles.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Squash Pickles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

8 cups squash, summer -- sliced
2 cups onions -- sliced
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup green pepper -- diced
2 cups vinegar, cider
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed

Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.

Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.

Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute

Remove from heat and pack in jars and seal.

Process in BWB for 5 minutes for pints.

Yield:
"4 pints"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 AM
TQ

wrote in message
...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Cut into coins and saute in butter with onion until light brown. Quick and
easy.

What herbs go good w/Zukes?