Old 07-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Nicole H

http://grannyskitchen.com/zucchini/

it freezes well also... zucchini bread year around
wrote in message
...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Andrew Ward

What herbs go good w/Zukes?

Some of my favourites are fresh thyme, fresh flat leaf parsley, or dried
oregano.

Also, for those zucchini that get too big and seedy, I stuff them and
bake them. Scoop out the seeds, and some of the flesh, shred the flesh
with some carrot and/or parsnip, mix with some dices tomato, onion and
bell pepper (and optionally some seasoned sausage meat), plus seasonings
of your choice. Top with bread crumb and olive oil, then bake in a
350-375F oven.

Andrew
Old 07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net wrote:

wrote in message
...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Cut into coins and saute in butter with onion until light brown. Quick and
easy.

What herbs go good w/Zukes?

Dill. :-)
--
Om.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Kathy

Sometimes in August a day's picking will yield a handful of beans, a small
pepper, a small zucchini, one tomato, and such - not enough of anything for
a meal. So I steam the mixture together with a little onion (long cooking
veggies go into the pot first, short cooking ones later) and dress with
olive oil, salt, and basil. That's good. When there are lots of zucchinis, I
like them stir fried and dressed with a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil.

I used to plant zucchinis in the spring, but discovered that it works better
for us to plant them in July. The squash borers have gone by then, and the
peas and lettuces are just finishing up and ready to give up their places in
our small garden. An early July planting yields in mid-August, which gives
us a zucchini harvest for 4-6 weeks. After that we're about ready to give up
eating zucchinis anyway.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:17 PM

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

Take them into work and leave them anonymously.

I used to do that with figs until I got a roomate
that eats them.

--
http://www.spinics.net/photo/
Old 08-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Draven

wrote in message
...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

Put it in curries. Delicious!

Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Jim Thomas

Marcella Peek wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

i love them stuffed.
Saute with some garlic and herbs
Grated and cooked with corn and diced onion and used as enchilada filling

marcella

Try this: Take some zucchini and cut them lengthwise into 1/4 in
planks. Place them on a sheet of aluminum foil. Slice some onions and
(ripe) tomatoes, and put them on top. Cut some corn off the ears (or
use frozen cut corn) and sprinkle liberally on top. Dot some butter,
margerine, or combination on top. Add salt & pepper to taste. Fold over
the foil. Put a few holes in the top with a fork to release steam. Put
the package on a medium-hot grill for 20 minutes or so (while the rest
of your barbecue is cooking). Enjoy without guilt (lots of vegies,
little fat). One 6-in zucchini makes good planks for one package.

Jim Thomas

Old 09-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by
....when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)

The plants are pretty, though. And big.

Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight
Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.

I cut them Lengthwise and freeze them to make Zucchini Lasagna later. I just use the zucchini noodles instead of the Lasagna noodles. I boil the zucchini before putting into the casserole so that they are nice and tender.

Grilling them is great too, and on kabobs they are great. We also like them saute'ed in a Chineese stir fry too. I have grated them and froze them to make zucchini bread before too.

You can also make homemade pizza with the ingredients you are allowed to eat and slice a few slices of zucchini on them.

A long time ago I had a recipe where you could make fake pineapple out of zucchini, and it really tasted like pineapple. I'm not shure I could find that recipe now though.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:20 PM
LJ

Copied from a favorite Mexican restaurant in So. Cal., El Presidente, Sliced
Calibacitas (not sure about the spelling, it's been years).

My version is:
Cover sliced rounds of Zucchini with Mexican green salsa, I like La Victoria
Microwave until tender
Cover with Monterey Jack Cheese
Microwave until melted
Yum

Old 13-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

My goodness we are getting a lot of great advice here. Too bad that I
haven't seen the original poster back here to comment on any of it. :-(

Just got back.

Wow! Some great ideas. I'm going to try several. We're having
stuffed zucchini tonight, and I want to try some fried.

We're making kabobs on the grill tomorrow, so I'll try some there.
And we usually have pasta with homemade sauce about once a week, so
I'll try the shredded zucchini idea in that.

Old 13-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Kathy

My goodness we are getting a lot of great advice here. Too bad that I
haven't seen the original poster back here to comment on any of it. :-(

I'll say. I can't wait for a zucchini to try zucchini lasagne. But since
zukes often provide more all at once than one family can eat, what are good
ways to make use of the extras (other than put them on the neighbor's porch,
ring the bell, and run, like I used to do as a kid)? If you freeze them,
how, and what are thawed zucchinis good for?

Kathy