Old 11-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Tony Pacc

Default Linden tree?

I live in Wisconsin ,Is a Linden tree a desirable tree ,I just had a Norway
maple cut down because of girdling roots,and now my yard looks naked.Thanks

Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Tony Pacc
writes
I live in Wisconsin ,Is a Linden tree a desirable tree ,I just had a Norway
maple cut down because of girdling roots,and now my yard looks naked.Thanks

In the long run they get large. The other objection is that they become
infested with aphids, which drip sap all under the tree. Even so,
they're common street and park trees.

One of the positive features is the scent (if you like it) of the
flowers. The strongest scented (to my nose) of the commonly grown forms
is the Silver Lime, Tilia tomentosa (a fastigiate form is 'Brabant', and
a weeping form is 'Petiolaris'), tho' I'm not familiar with Basswood
(Tilia americana).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-09-2005, 03:02 PM
David Bockman

"Tony Pacc" wrote in
:

I live in Wisconsin ,Is a Linden tree a desirable tree ,I just had a
Norway maple cut down because of girdling roots,and now my yard looks
naked.Thanks

Yes, a very desirable shade tree. Hardy from Zones 3b to 7. (Tilia
cordata).

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 11-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:02:41 GMT, David Bockman
wrote:

"Tony Pacc" wrote in
:

I live in Wisconsin ,Is a Linden tree a desirable tree ,I just had a
Norway maple cut down because of girdling roots,and now my yard looks
naked.Thanks

Yes, a very desirable shade tree. Hardy from Zones 3b to 7. (Tilia
cordata).

Planting Tilia cordata may give him a tree with poor branch structure,
better to make an informed recommendation.

Tilia cordata 'Greenspire' has improved branching habits, or consider
Tilia X 'Redmond'

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold
Old 11-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
the Silver Lime, Tilia tomentosa

I should be clear that I don't know whether this would be hardy in
Wisconsin.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 11-09-2005, 05:59 PM
David Bockman

Tom Jaszewski wrote in
:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:02:41 GMT, David Bockman
wrote:

"Tony Pacc" wrote in
:

I live in Wisconsin ,Is a Linden tree a desirable tree ,I just had a
Norway maple cut down because of girdling roots,and now my yard
looks naked.Thanks

Yes, a very desirable shade tree. Hardy from Zones 3b to 7. (Tilia
cordata).

Planting Tilia cordata may give him a tree with poor branch structure,
better to make an informed recommendation.

Tilia cordata 'Greenspire' has improved branching habits, or consider
Tilia X 'Redmond'

Better to make a truly informed recommendation. 'Greenspire' is much more
susceptible to sunscalding and loose bark associated with 'weedwacker
damage' or when hedged. Have a nice day Tom,

Old 11-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Emery Davis

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 07:52:48 -0500, "Tony Pacc" said:

] I live in Wisconsin ,Is a Linden tree a desirable tree ,I just had a Norway
] maple cut down because of girdling roots,and now my yard looks naked.Thanks
]

Certainly a very desirable tree, a Linden, commonly Tilia Cordata,
may get large -- to 30 m and a pretty fast grower.

Sweet smelling flowers attract bees, and make a very nice tea.
We give Linden flowers each year as gifts. Good shade, nice
yellow fall color.

Drawbacks are it suckers freely, does not withstand wind well,
(a lot of breakage) and the seed pods make a big mess to clean up.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Old 11-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:59:42 GMT, David Bockman
wrote:

Better to make a truly informed recommendation. 'Greenspire' is much more
susceptible to sunscalding and loose bark associated with 'weedwacker
damage' or when hedged. Have a nice day Tom

I am having a very nice fall day, thanks!

Old 12-09-2005, 05:15 AM
Suzy O

Hello, Tony,

I've read the other responses to your question and just have this to add

ALL maple trees can develop girdled roots if not planted properly. See the
University of Wisconsin Extension bulletin on Maple Decline, which has some
great photos of maple root problems:
http://cecommerce.uwex.edu/pdfs/A2532.PDF.

As far as a linden or any other replacement, check out the UW Extension's
Guide to Selecting Landscape Plants for Wisconsin:
http://cecommerce.uwex.edu/pdfs/A2865.PDF. Lindens are listed on page 4.

Suzy O
Milwaukee, WI, Zone 5 -- still summer weather and loving it!!

-- Plant questions? Call your local County Cooperative Extension office:
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/. Milwaukee County: 414-290-2410.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:03 AM
Ann Burlingham

Emery Davis writes:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 07:52:48 -0500, "Tony Pacc" said:

] I live in Wisconsin ,Is a Linden tree a desirable tree ,I just had a Norway
] maple cut down because of girdling roots,and now my yard looks naked.Thanks

Certainly a very desirable tree, a Linden, commonly Tilia Cordata,
may get large -- to 30 m and a pretty fast grower.

Sweet smelling flowers attract bees, and make a very nice tea.
We give Linden flowers each year as gifts. Good shade, nice
yellow fall color.

My understanding is that linden blossom tea is the same lime bloosom
tea whosescent, along with some madeleines, gave Proust his
remembrance of things past.

--
What use was it having all that money if you could never sit still
or just watch your cattle eating grass?

Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 AM
presley

It is true that lindens sucker from the roots, and/or throw up branches
nearly from the base of the tree. This is not necessarily a problem if you
are diligent about rubbing out the new growth at the base of the tree as
soon as it appears. Obviously, the longer you let it grow, the more
unsightly it becomes and the more possibility of damage to the tree when you
have to prune it. I have a very tall friend who has progressively pruned his
lindens up as they have grown, so that he has room to mow underneath them.
They are gorgeous. But their natural habit is not always as graceful as he
has shaped his to be. The linden's two assets are fairly dense shade, and
two/three weeks of gorgeously scented flowers. Tilia cordata has smaller
leaves and tends to make denser growth and shade. Tilia American has larger
leaves and is naturally a more open tree.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Emery Davis

On 12 Sep 2005 02:03:11 -0400, Ann Burlingham said:

[]
] My understanding is that linden blossom tea is the same lime bloosom
] tea whosescent, along with some madeleines, gave Proust his
] remembrance of things past.
]

I think so. For reasons that are obscure to me the British refer to
the French Tillieul as 'Lime'. I've always called it Linden. 'Lime'
has nothing to do with the citrus. Perhaps a Brit could explain it.

Anyway it makes excellent tea.

] --
] What use was it having all that money if you could never sit still
] or just watch your cattle eating grass?
] - Alexander McCall Smith, _The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency_

That's a good one, too!

-E
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Emery Davis
writes
I think so. For reasons that are obscure to me the British refer to
the French Tillieul as 'Lime'. I've always called it Linden. 'Lime'
has nothing to do with the citrus. Perhaps a Brit could explain it.

As I understand it, lime and linden are both developments (lind line
lime) from the same Germanic root. Linden is archaic in British English.
The use of lime for both Tilia and Citrus aurantifolia is coincidence;
the latter usage is apparently borrowed from Arabic.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Index/Vern...hp?genus=Tilia
Old 12-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Brian

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trees are generally called linden in North America, and lime in Britain.
Both names are derived from the (A branch of the Indo-European family of
languages; members that are spoken currently fall into two major groups:
Scandinavian and West Germanic) Germanic root lind. The modern forms in
English derive from linde or linne in Anglo Saxon and old Norse, and in
Britain the word morphed more recently to the modern British form lime. In
the United States, the modern (A person of German nationality) German name
linden, from the same root, became more common, partly to avoid confusion
with any other uses of the name. Neither the name nor the tree is in any way
related to the citrus fruit called " (The green acidic fruit of any of
various lime trees) lime" (Citrus aurantifolia).
Best Wishes Brian a 'limey'!!

----

Old 13-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Emery Davis

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:32:08 +0100, "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond said:

] The trees are generally called linden in North America, and lime in Britain.
] Both names are derived from the (A branch of the Indo-European family of
] languages; members that are spoken currently fall into two major groups:
] Scandinavian and West Germanic) Germanic root lind. The modern forms in
] English derive from linde or linne in Anglo Saxon and old Norse, and in
] Britain the word morphed more recently to the modern British form lime. In
] the United States, the modern (A person of German nationality) German name
] linden, from the same root, became more common, partly to avoid confusion
] with any other uses of the name. Neither the name nor the tree is in any way
] related to the citrus fruit called " (The green acidic fruit of any of
] various lime trees) lime" (Citrus aurantifolia).

Thanks both for the clarification.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies

[IMG] code is On

linden tree pacca[_3_] Gardening 2 30-05-2014 12:49 AM
linden tree Tony Pacc Gardening 1 02-07-2006 09:04 PM
LINDEN Or LIME-TREE Xavier Vanbecelaere Gardening 4 27-09-2003 02:12 PM
LINDEN Or LIME-TREE Xavier Vanbecelaere Plant Science 2 27-09-2003 02:02 PM
Hail damaged Linden Scott Gingerich Gardening 0 13-05-2003 04:56 PM