Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 AM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
Mama Bear

Default Any grow light dealers out there?

I've done some research and pretty much know what I'm looking for
now.

I'd like to find a nice quality polished reflector like at
with a 150-175 watt lamp and ballast similar to the wide spectrum
of a Hortilux Blue.

Does anyone sell a setup like that?

--
- Mama Bear
Old 02-06-2006, 07:07 PM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
Ian Stirling

In sci.engr.lighting Mama Bear wrote:
I've done some research and pretty much know what I'm looking for
now.

I'd like to find a nice quality polished reflector like at
with a 150-175 watt lamp and ballast similar to the wide spectrum
of a Hortilux Blue.

You can construct a functionally identical reflector out of cardboard,
contact-glued on foil - shiny side out.
With care, you can actually get it to look as good, if not better.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:08 AM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Ian Stirling wrote:
In sci.engr.lighting Mama Bear wrote:
I've done some research and pretty much know what I'm looking for
now.

I'd like to find a nice quality polished reflector like at
with a 150-175 watt lamp and ballast similar to the wide spectrum
of a Hortilux Blue.

You can construct a functionally identical reflector out of cardboard,
contact-glued on foil - shiny side out.
With care, you can actually get it to look as good, if not better.

White paint is actually more reflective that aluminum foil.

Cardboard will likely burn up in close proximity to a 175W lamp like
that. Make the reflector out of metal flashing and paint it flat white
enamel.

You also need to be careful about your lamp selection if it's not in an
enclosed fixture.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 03-06-2006, 08:30 PM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Mama Bear wrote:
zxcvbob wrote :

Ian Stirling wrote:
In sci.engr.lighting Mama Bear wrote:
I've done some research and pretty much know what I'm
looking for now.

I'd like to find a nice quality polished reflector like at
with a 150-175 watt lamp and ballast similar to the wide
spectrum of a Hortilux Blue.
You can construct a functionally identical reflector out of
cardboard, contact-glued on foil - shiny side out.
With care, you can actually get it to look as good, if not
better.

White paint is actually more reflective that aluminum foil.

Cardboard will likely burn up in close proximity to a 175W
lamp like that. Make the reflector out of metal flashing and
paint it flat white enamel.

That's why I'd really rather buy something like in that auction,
just to play it safe.

You also need to be careful about your lamp selection if it's
not in an enclosed fixture.

That's another thing I've heard about using this for grow
lighting. If a drop of water splatters up on the lamp, poof, $$$
down the drain. I see some fixtures that are sealed, but then you
get the heating problems.

You don't have to worry about a stray drop of water somehow getting to
the ceiling and hitting the lamp. HID lamps can explode on their own
when they get old. ==(8-0

If the lamp is designed for open fixtures, the outer glass is strong
enough to contain the explosion if the inner capsule bursts.

BTW, I have a surplus 400W HPS security light in my basement that I use
to keep plants alive in the winter. It's adequate, but the plants like
the triphosphor fluorescents better.

Bob
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 AM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
John Hines

Mama Bear wrote:

Good idea. So now all I need is a 175 watt metal halide broad
spectrum lamp ( balanced blue and yellow ) and matched decent
quality ballast-socket combo.

Any ideas on where I can find those on the web?

http://www.altgarden.com

specifically

http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart....ct_detail&p=67

although no picture of the bulb. G

Bulbs are usually rated by their color temperature, so the difference
between 3K and 5K is more blue in the spectrum. And 1000 less lumens, at
twice the cost.

5000 Kelvin's is also called "daylight", since that closely matches the
spectrum of sunlight.

Smaller bulbs, up to 250w are more common these days in industrial and
commercial lighting, it is possible to find them at home centers and
electrical supply places, just ask for daylight bulbs.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:02 AM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Mama Bear wrote:
John Hines wrote :

Mama Bear wrote:

Good idea. So now all I need is a 175 watt metal halide broad
spectrum lamp ( balanced blue and yellow ) and matched decent
quality ballast-socket combo.

Any ideas on where I can find those on the web?

http://www.altgarden.com

specifically

http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart....ct_detail&p=67

although no picture of the bulb. G

Or the fixture, ballast or anything.

Pig in a poke anyone?

Smaller bulbs, up to 250w are more common these days in industrial and
commercial lighting, it is possible to find them at home centers and
electrical supply places, just ask for daylight bulbs.

The hard part seems to be finding them with sockets and ballasts. ( and
of course in wide spectrum MH )

Just get a 3000k coated lamp and it will be wide-spectrum enough. The
coated lamps also don't fade everything in the room as much; don't ask
me how I know this.

Instead of getting a universal (U) lamp, get one that is made
specifically for the orientation you are using. (Probably HOR, or maybe
VBU, depending on the fixture)

Best regards,
Bob
Old 04-06-2006, 08:05 PM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
John Hines

Mama Bear wrote:

John Hines wrote :

Mama Bear wrote:

Good idea. So now all I need is a 175 watt metal halide broad
spectrum lamp ( balanced blue and yellow ) and matched decent
quality ballast-socket combo.

Any ideas on where I can find those on the web?

http://www.altgarden.com

specifically

http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart....ct_detail&p=67

although no picture of the bulb. G

Or the fixture, ballast or anything.

They are in a different section than the raw bulbs.

Pig in a poke anyone?

A MH bulb looks pretty much like any other.

I've got one of these
http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart....t_detail&p=615
in my living room, growing umbrella plants. I have, and will in the
future, purchased from these folks, I know they are good.

Smaller bulbs, up to 250w are more common these days in industrial and
commercial lighting, it is possible to find them at home centers and
electrical supply places, just ask for daylight bulbs.

The hard part seems to be finding them with sockets and ballasts. ( and
of course in wide spectrum MH )

you mean like this?
http://www.altgarden.com/store/cart....t_detail&p=590

"This simple, highly reflective Wing reflector gives you a top notch
system at a rock bottom price. Hydrotek has put together a great system
with simple design and quality components. The 5-year warranty on the
North American-made ballast will keep you running for years to come."

In your case, you'll want to pop for the $20 upgrade to the agro-sun
bulb, as this is an HPS system. But browse around see what u find.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 PM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
John Hines

Mama Bear wrote:

Ok, well if I want to just go on ebay than, and put it all together
myself, can I just look for any new 175 watt ballast, get a lamp and a
socket for it, wire it all up, make my own reflector and I'm in
business? Will the components all work together without having to be
specially designed for each other?

Yes, with in reason. Putting a 250 w lamp in my 4 foot (meant for
1000w) reflector meant a little bit of fiddling to get it to fit right.

You can't run a MH bulb on a HPS ballast for example, you can but it
requires a special conversion bulb. The size of bulb and ballast has to
match. The voltage used to start the bulbs is high, so the wiring and
socket have to be special high voltage.

175 and 250 watt light integrated units can be found, check your local
big box store. The specialty stores don't carry them anymore.

And you can find special MH lamps at pet shops that specialize in
sal****er reef tanks, which can use lamps with very (10K, 15K) ratings.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:20 PM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
John Hines

Mama Bear wrote:

The hard part seems to be finding them with sockets and ballasts. ( and
of course in wide spectrum MH )

http://www.hydrofarm.com/
http://www.hydroempire.com/
http://www.gchydro.com/
http://www.bghydro.com/
http://www.ecogrow.com/

Go google for hydroponics and you'll find even more.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:26 PM posted to sci.engr.lighting,rec.gardens
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
John Hines writes:

And you can find special MH lamps at pet shops that specialize in
sal****er reef tanks, which can use lamps with very (10K, 15K) ratings.

I've got an Aqualite 250W 10,000K one, and it pumps out rather
large amounts of ozone -- you wouldn't want to run it indoors
for any length of time. It must be run behind a glass shield to
protect you from UV (these give off more than regular MH lamps)
and hot debris if the lamp explodes at end of life.

--
Andrew Gabriel

[IMG] code is On

Any Plants out there that can grow in almost toal shade? chatnoir Plant Science 3 10-11-2006 02:11 AM
Are there any Koi Forum out there visited by regukars here Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 18 23-04-2005 05:40 AM
Reliable Koi Dealers? matrix Ponds 15 29-02-2004 04:05 AM
koi dealers near orlando Gunnar Ponds 5 21-02-2004 04:34 AM
online koi dealers [email protected] Ponds 7 29-03-2003 03:08 PM