Old 26-06-2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Yellow jackets in my garden

Our adventures in Oregon gardening continues. Within the last week an
infestation of jellow jackets has developed in my garden, particularly in
the area where there are rows of turnips and mustard close together. I've
watched for a while, and there does not appear to be a nest nearby, they
just seem to like the area. There are so many I'm afraid to work in that
area while they are there. What to do?

Old 26-06-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
Our adventures in Oregon gardening continues. Within the last week an
infestation of jellow jackets has developed in my garden, particularly in
the area where there are rows of turnips and mustard close together. I've
watched for a while, and there does not appear to be a nest nearby, they
just seem to like the area. There are so many I'm afraid to work in that
area while they are there. What to do?

try a yellowjacket trap - basically a bottle partially filled with colored
sugar water (I don't know if a one-way top that they sell at garden stores
is required)- yellowjackets go in, can't fly back out, drown.

(If you have a compost pile nearby, make sure the green is always on top of
the house stuff - garbage attracts yellowjackets. )

Old 26-06-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

PS - I hung out a couple of traps (Rescue! Yellowjacket trap) but they are
happily ignoring the traps

Old 26-06-2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote:

Our adventures in Oregon gardening continues. Within the last week an
infestation of jellow jackets has developed in my garden, particularly in
the area where there are rows of turnips and mustard close together. I've
watched for a while, and there does not appear to be a nest nearby, they
just seem to like the area. There are so many I'm afraid to work in that
area while they are there. What to do?

Those yellow jackets are just trying to clean your garden. Here they
are no problem until a dry August occurs then they search for water.
They like sugar water aka soda and have been known to enter soda cans.
They like to spare with my hummers so I provide a yellow trap on
occasion too. Hummers are primary here.

I once weeded a jacket nest and was stung many times. If you see a
hole about the size of a US quarter and yellow jackets come and go mark
it and give ground. If possible but take it out if kids and others may
stumble on it.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 26-06-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Those yellow jackets are just trying to clean your garden. Here they
are no problem until a dry August occurs then they search for water.
They like sugar water aka soda and have been known to enter soda cans.
They like to spare with my hummers so I provide a yellow trap on
occasion too. Hummers are primary here.

I once weeded a jacket nest and was stung many times. If you see a
hole about the size of a US quarter and yellow jackets come and go mark
it and give ground. If possible but take it out if kids and others may
stumble on it.

Bill

Do they bother you when you working in the garden? I'm afraid to pull a
turnip for fear of there being a bee on it that does not take kindly to my
pulling it's food source out

We get some hornets here, but not very many and they are not very agressive
(unless you disturb their nest). But yellow jackets are *everywhere*.

I'm curious that they are ignoring the trap I put out. It came with some
"attractant", but I'm thinking they are not interested in that, they want
food, so maybe I need to put some meat or fruit in the trap?

Old 26-06-2006, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message

Those yellow jackets are just trying to clean your garden. Here they
are no problem until a dry August occurs then they search for water.
They like sugar water aka soda and have been known to enter soda cans.
They like to spare with my hummers so I provide a yellow trap on
occasion too. Hummers are primary here.

I once weeded a jacket nest and was stung many times. If you see a
hole about the size of a US quarter and yellow jackets come and go mark
it and give ground. If possible but take it out if kids and others may
stumble on it.

Bill

Do they bother you when you working in the garden? I'm afraid to pull a
turnip for fear of there being a bee on it that does not take kindly to my
pulling it's food source out

Matthew, bees do not eat turnips. When you see bees around the garden, their
main interest is the flowers. To them, you're like a maintenance person
changing fluorescent bulbs in a busy office, with your ladder getting in
everyone's way. It's their office.

I've got a butterfly bush, which (obviously) attracts butterflies, but also
bees, some of which seem to be on steroids. They're huge. But, I give them
as much space as I would a person operating a miter saw, and I haven't been
bothered. They also hang out in the large flowers of eggplants, melons,
zucchini and other stuff. They may fly out & take a look at you, but you're
more likely to cut yourself on a piece of glass hiding in the soil, then be
bothered by them.

I suggest you grab a good book, set up a chair right alongside the garden,
and spend a few hours near them, watching what they do. I doubt they'll even
notice you.

Old 26-06-2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote:

Do they bother you when you working in the garden? I'm afraid to pull a
turnip for fear of there being a bee on it that does not take kindly to my
pulling it's food source out

No, unless of course you squeeze it. RARE!

We get some hornets here, but not very many and they are not very agressive
(unless you disturb their nest). But yellow jackets are *everywhere*.

They like to eat meat luckily very small meat )

I'm curious that they are ignoring the trap I put out. It came with some
"attractant", but I'm thinking they are not interested in that, they want
food, so maybe I need to put some meat or fruit in the trap?

In my yellow trap ( Color matters!!)_ I just put sugar water 1:4 .
Same as hummers NO COLOR dye stuff YUK . They (Jackets) can get in
easy but is difficult to get out and drown.

Now taking out a nest is another matter and I'd do it at night with a
simple toxin or water . A hose with water first choice. Pyrethrum my
second choice . Search 1600 X-clude.

http://www.google.com/search?q=1600%20X-clude

Spray cover with a rock or dirt. I use this in my home. Carefully.
Be also aware that Parkinson disease and insecticides are being
recognized as being related. Rotenone seemingly innocuous is not the
case. So if you spray do it with care and concern for you and yours and
even the other critters in your garden world.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 26-06-2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Matthew, bees do not eat turnips. When you see bees around the garden,
their main interest is the flowers. To them, you're like a maintenance
person changing fluorescent bulbs in a busy office, with your ladder
getting in everyone's way. It's their office.

snip

When I said "bee", I meant the yellow jackets. We have many "bees" around
here, and they are our friends. They don't bother us, we don't bother them.
Yellow jackets are another story. My sister-in-law is deathly allergic to
their stings, I'm not to crazy about them either, and I would happily kill
every one of them :P

Old 27-06-2006, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
keith_nuttle

Default Yellow jackets in my garden What not to do

We had yellow jackets in the yard when the kids were small. Their nest
was underground about 8' from the house. I found it while mowing. As I
mowed I thought about the nest the kids and decided that I had to do
something. Gas. I dumped about a quart into the hole. Continued to mow
continued to thing about the nest and the little kids.

Second bright idea. I stopped the mower went into the garage and got a
news paper fashioned it into a long fuse and lighted it. I then went to
the nest and touched the fuse to the hole. Everyone watched in amazement
as flames shot out of several holes around the yard.

While it got rid of the yellow jackets, and no one was hurt. I have
often thought about the insurance claim if one of the holes had came out
closer to the house or there had been something more flammable near one
of the holes. Probably was not the best idea on retrospect

Old 27-06-2006, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

LOL I see a picture of a small mushroom cloud rising from the middle of your
yard :-). You were lucky the gas didn't make them mad enough to come out
and defend their nest. I can handle nests - but the nests aren't on my
property, they just like to forage in my garden for food. And at any given
time, there are maybe 10-15 in the garden. I'm guessing either a large
nest(s), or a lot small ones not far away.

And those worthless "traps" have sat in the garden all day, and the yellow
jackets just fly past them, completely ignoring them

.com...

Old 27-06-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Anony moose

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
Our adventures in Oregon gardening continues. Within the last week an
infestation of jellow jackets has developed in my garden, particularly in
the area where there are rows of turnips and mustard close together. I've
watched for a while, and there does not appear to be a nest nearby, they
just seem to like the area. There are so many I'm afraid to work in that
area while they are there. What to do?

We had a yellow jacket ground nest in our small orchard in Oregon. The dogs
were being stung and avoiding the area but I didn't find the nest until the
day I stepped on it. I was swarmed immediately and hi-tailed it back to the
house swinging and swatting. Many, of course, got in with me and I even
found several inside my clothes. That night we dug out the nest and sprayed
it. There were hundreds, if not thousands, of them. Be careful in your
garden until you find the nest hole, then you can decide if you want to
tolerate their presence. I think they become more aggressive in fall, but we
and our neighbors were getting stung at any time in summer.

Old 27-06-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jo Ann

I have never had any luck with any type of yellow jacket trap. A few
might inadvertently find their way in, but nowhere near enough to make
a bit of difference to the number of yellow jackets abroad in my yard.
I also found the bait seemed to attract other unwelcome species, such
as bald faced hornets.

According to masterbeekeeper.com, the most effective way to deal with
them is by spraying an appropriate pesticide into the nest opening in
the evening (when most of them are home). They warn to dress
appropriately, secure sleeves and pants legs, establish "an
unobstructed escape route," and if light is needed, use one covered
with red cellophane so the yellow jackets cannot see it. They also
mention that 2-3 treatments will likely be needed; to avoid wearing
light colors, perfume, or cologne; and, due to the high risk of being
stung, "you may wish to seek professional help."

Jo Ann

Old 27-06-2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Update: I conversed with Sterling International, Inc. about why their traps
were not catching any of these. I did a bit of research and took a close
look and I believe that these are paper wasps, not yellow jackets. I did not
understand what the different insects are called. These "paper wasps" are
very common here, I've lived with them for years and am somewhat familiar
with their behavior. I just didn't know they were called paper wasps. As for
the yellow jackets, I'm also familiar with them as well, but did not know
they were "yellow jackets". We have very few of these around here, which is
a good thing. Ahh..I have learned something today

So - any experience with paper wasps? Should I take steps to trap them to
reduce the populations? I know where to look for nests, and have not seen
any around my house or garden. I know that they tolerate you approaching
their nests to about 1-2 feet before they will take defensive action - they
built nests in the entrance to an apartment I once lived in. You could stop,
look up, and see an active nest 12 inches from your nose. They pretty much
ignored us.

Again, my concern is that they may take offense to my working in the garden
with them and disturbing their foraging. Plus my children play nearby. To
date there have been no stings, but I'm careful to avoid working in their
immediate vicinity. I notice they are not in the garden during early morning
or late evening hours, but prefer the warmth of day.

Oh, here are some pics - not very good, taking pictures of them was a bit
tricky, but this one is quite good:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/June%...paperwasp2.jpg

This one is fuzzy, but it does show the legs hanging down, something that
yellow jackets do not have.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/June%...s/DSCF3593.jpg

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
Our adventures in Oregon gardening continues. Within the last week an
infestation of jellow jackets has developed in my garden, particularly in
the area where there are rows of turnips and mustard close together. I've
watched for a while, and there does not appear to be a nest nearby, they
just seem to like the area. There are so many I'm afraid to work in that
area while they are there. What to do?

[IMG] code is On

Yellow Jackets in siding... help? John North Carolina 16 20-09-2005 01:40 PM
Problems with Yellow Jackets kathy Ponds 7 20-07-2005 02:28 PM
Yellow Jackets M&K Lawns 26 08-01-2005 06:36 AM
Yellow jackets hovering over the lawn. Chris McCarty Lawns 4 09-08-2003 11:33 AM
Yellow Jackets Julie Gardening 6 01-05-2003 03:32 PM