Old 17-02-2007, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Chocolate scented flowers

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate scented
flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences with
these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?
Old 17-02-2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:30:33 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate scented
flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences with
these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?

I think the bulk of these plants and seeds "look" like the color or
chocolate, but the only plant I've had actual experience with which
had a chocolate fragrance is chocolate geranium. I didn't search the
site you gave, but I love the chocolate delphinium flowers.
=

Old 17-02-2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate
scented flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences
with these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?

I think the bulk of these plants and seeds "look" like the color or
chocolate, but the only plant I've had actual experience with which
had a chocolate fragrance is chocolate geranium. I didn't search the
site you gave, but I love the chocolate delphinium flowers.
=

Here are a few others that smell like chocolate (from the article that
gave the link I posted). I don't know how I forgot about Chocolate Mint.
I was always a fav of mine!

Chocolate-Scented Houseplants

Chocolate-Scented Geranium, Pelargonium.
Most scented "geraniums" are actually pelargoniums. More than one variety
has leaves that carry a "chocolate" scent, although I have to say that
scent perception is an individual thing. Some of my friends smell
chocolate. Others don't. Pelargoniums are mostly houseplants, but you can
also treat them as annuals in your garden; they're too tender to
overwinter outdoors. Put them in soil that drains well in a place where
they'll be shaded from the hot afternoon sun. Water only when soil is
dry.

Chocolate-Scented Orchid, Oncidium Sharry Baby.
The many delicate-looking flowers of this tall, gorgeous orchid are
cherry red with white-tipped lips and give out a delightful scent. Unlike
some orchids, it's not too picky about its growing conditions. Just be
sure to place it somewhere like a kitchen or bathroom where it will get a
good amount of humidity as well as the bright, indirect light it needs to
flower. Or you could put it on a tray of pebbles with water underneath
and occasionally spray it. The soil should be dry before you water.
Sweet-scented Sharry Baby does grow tall, so make sure your pot is heavy
and stable!

Chocolate-Scented Outdoor Plants

Chocolate Daisy, Berlandiera lyrata.
These daisylike blooms—with their yellow petals and maroon and orange
center—can be a cheery addition to your chocolate garden. The plant
blooms at night and emits a chocolate scent in the morning. Depending on
wind direction, you might catch the fragrance up to 30 feet away! The
plant is drought tolerant and can be planted in sun or partial shade.

Chocolate Cosmos, Cosmos atrosanguineus.
If dark chocolate is your weakness, plant some Cosmos. These gorgeous
dark burgundy flowers let loose their beguiling scent in the late
afternoon, so dedicated chocoholics might pair them with Chocolate
Daisies, which emit their scent in the morning. Chocolate Cosmos need
well-drained soil and full sun; the heat of midsummer really gets them
going.

Chocolate Mint, Mentha piperita cv.
Got a craving for a peppermint pattie? The taste of these edible leaves
will remind you of this favorite minty-chocolate treat. Try some in
coffee or hot chocolate. Or dry the leaves and mix them into your
favorite brownie batter. Chocolate Mint does best with at least half a
day of sun. The plant can grow and spread aggressively, so try placing it
in a large container in your chocolate-themed garden.
Old 17-02-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from FragileWarrior contains these
words:

Here are a few others that smell like chocolate (from the article
that gave the link I posted). I don't know how I forgot about
Chocolate Mint. I was always a fav of mine!

Chocolate Mint, Mentha piperita cv.
Got a craving for a peppermint pattie? The taste of these edible
leaves will remind you of this favorite minty-chocolate treat. Try
some in coffee or hot chocolate. Or dry the leaves and mix them into
your favorite brownie batter. Chocolate Mint does best with at least
half a day of sun. The plant can grow and spread aggressively, so try
placing it in a large container in your chocolate-themed garden.

I have that, but have to say it smells more like mint and not much
like chocolate. Nice colour though.

If you like plants with dark foliage, here's a great book full of
them

Purple Passion by Karen Black

Janet

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
Old 17-02-2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

[...]

I think that might be Karen Platt, right?

Her books are expensive! Even used!

I use www.fetchbook.info

http://www.fetchbook.info/purple_passion.html

Old 18-02-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from FragileWarrior contains these
words:

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

If you like plants with dark foliage, here's a great book full of
them

Purple Passion by Karen Black

Janet

I think that might be Karen Platt, right?

Yes, sorry, and I forgot the title too, it's Black Magic And Purple
Passion . Male guests here always pick that title from the shelf to
browse through.

Her books are expensive! Even used!

I can't think why anyone would pay $85 for a used copy when it's
still
in print and easily available new for about $32. I bought direct from
the publisher , see

http://www.karenplatt.co.uk/books/blackmagic/

which also gives you a look inside the book, at the quality of
illustrations.

Looking that up was a bad move; now I've found out she's done a
series of other foliage colour schemes. Very tempting :-)

Janet

hee hee hee I'm a great believer in books. Fetchbook and I have a
long and fruitful relationship -- even if it is to send me off looking
elsewhere occasionally.

Thanks for the heads up and the nice antidote about your male guests.
)

Old 18-02-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-02-17 08:30:33 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate
scented flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences
with these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?

The Orchid "Sharry Baby" smells like Chocolate. No kidding either!

Old 18-02-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Johnny Borborigmi wrote in news:45d7ac2d$0$16958
:

On 2007-02-17 08:30:33 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate
scented flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences
with these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?

The Orchid "Sharry Baby" smells like Chocolate. No kidding either!

You raise orchids? OOOOhhhhh! I want to raise orchids, too, but I don't
think I have the set up for it. Tell more! Tell more!!
Old 18-02-2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate scented
flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences with
these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?

I THINK I once read of a Hoya that smelled like chocolate.

Shouldn't be too odd as I THINK cacao is a fruit?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 18-02-2007, 10:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Johnny Borborigmi" wrote in message news:45d7ac2d$0$16958

The Orchid "Sharry Baby" smells like Chocolate. No kidding either!

I've got at least ten 'Sharry Baby's' hanging in the back yard and I
wouldn't call it chocolate, exactly. Unless you were really, really jonesing
for a chocolate smell. Or just very hungry.
They're sweet and reminiscent of candy, but I wouldn't say chocolate.

That's exactly why I have so dang many of them- kept buying from different
vendors hoping for the "holy grail" of chocolatey goodness, but so far it's
just a vague hint.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 18-02-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-02-17 21:03:21 -0500, FragileWarrior

On 2007-02-17 08:30:33 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate
scented flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences
with these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?

The Orchid "Sharry Baby" smells like Chocolate. No kidding either!

You raise orchids? OOOOhhhhh! I want to raise orchids, too, but I
don't think I have the set up for it. Tell more! Tell more!!

I have a few Dens and Oncidiums. In a South and west window. I let them
dry between waterings. Feed half strength Miracle grow every other
watering.

Old 18-02-2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Johnny Borborigmi wrote in news:45d856de$0$28075
:

On 2007-02-17 21:03:21 -0500, FragileWarrior

On 2007-02-17 08:30:33 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate
scented flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this

link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences
with these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?

The Orchid "Sharry Baby" smells like Chocolate. No kidding either!

You raise orchids? OOOOhhhhh! I want to raise orchids, too, but I
don't think I have the set up for it. Tell more! Tell more!!

I have a few Dens and Oncidiums. In a South and west window. I let them
dry between waterings. Feed half strength Miracle grow every other
watering.

So do you have Sharry Baby? Are they hard to find? I have a south
window I wouldn't mind giving to a chocolate scented orchid.
Old 18-02-2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote in news:er9l19
:

On 2007-02-17 21:03:21 -0500, FragileWarrior

On 2007-02-17 08:30:33 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

[...]

Oh, holy COW! It's beautiful but EXPENSIVE! Do all orchids cost this
much??

http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orch...cidium/oncidiu
m_sharrybaby.html
Old 18-02-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

You can get geraniums scented in about scent including chocolate from
Davidson's Greenhouse in Montgomery County Indiana. They ship them all
over the world. I just found the
information It is Davidson's Greenhouse and Nursery Inc. - 3147 E.
Ladoga Road, Crawfordsville IN 47933 - Phone 765-364-0556
Very nice people and 3rd generation in the business.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

[IMG] code is On

Lemon-scented something - lemon-scented.jpg Ann Garden Photos 5 07-08-2007 06:09 PM
Chocolate mint? Sacha United Kingdom 15 23-09-2003 12:28 PM
Advice re Chocolate Cosmos please Paul & Suzie Beckwith United Kingdom 6 03-08-2003 09:17 AM
how to make Almond Paste (Marzipan)?? SV: chocolate making Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:21 PM
SV: chocolate making -- Tempering Chocolate! Gary Pollack Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:21 PM