Old 01-03-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grass to garden -- what's the best approach?

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:50:07 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

This is why I am cloistered away in my house most of the time. It
cuts down on the amount of aggrivation I have. I limit my aggrivation
to people who actually matter so I can work on my mind to quiet that
part of me down.

My sister in law bought a Veeshla (it is misspelled I'm lazy) and the
dog is a completely hyper active ping pong ball. She jumps on
everyone and behaves like a nutcase.

My SIL went on vacation and I volunteered to watch the dog for two
weeks and not one time did this dog act like a nutcase. Obviously it
was the owner who has the negative energy the dog reacts to. Now SIL
is divorced and the dog is locked in a room a lot of the time and she
hates the dog. I offered to take her, but she said her kids couldn't
live without her. Huh? IT'S A DOG! So torture the poor animal.
Yeah, that's nice.

I wonder sometimes if some people get dogs because they think it'll occupy
their kids. This way, they don't have to.

I don't think in this case that is true, but I will say they got this
particular breed because it was some sort of status shit. The puppy
cost them 1500 dollars because she was sired by some big poobah show
dog. Clearly, the reason NOT to buy a dog. I feel so bad for this
poor thing, but we now have a parrot and that breed is a hunting dog
who points at birds and she is lightening fast like a greyhound!

Feh.

I'll take squirrels any time. I can't believe anyone pays money to go to a
circus and see high-wire tricks done by a bunch of wimps who need safety
nets, when all they have to do is sit in the back yard and see squirrels
defying all known laws of physics all day long. Amazing.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jen" wrote in message

When babies start walking and investigating everything in the house,
most people put safety locks on cabinets containing anything that could
hurt a baby. Assuming the home did NOT have these safety locks in place
before the baby, would you agree that their appearance is related to
the presence of the new baby?

Not the babies fault if there isn't.

The point is this, Jen: The parent installs the locks because they
address one of the requirements for being a good parent: Keeping the baby
from harm. Therefore, the parent's behavior has changed because of the
presence of the baby.

The dog owner's behavior changes because of the dog, too. The dog needs
exercise. The dog needs "bathrooms". If the dog didn't exist, the problem
with their waste products would not exist.

Now, before you respond as I know you want to, consider this: All urban
and suburban areas have laws regarding what types of animals we can have
on our property. Why?

This discussion comes up now and
then in rec.gardens. Nothing is ever resolved. Have you actually
asked this person not to allow their dog to pee on your plants? If
so, what did that person say?

One obeyed, and remained friendly. Two said that the first X feet of
property belongs to the public, which is not true (according to our
town justice), and continued to argue. All three were asked politely,
in the exact same way.

So why are you blaming dog owners. Why not just blame this "person"?

Because of an erroneous group of words: "I'm a good dog owner". Even the
"good" ones walk around causing problems. We have a couple of strays
here. Guess where they sniff around to take a dump? Exactly where the
"good" dog owners cleaned up after their pets. So, the "good" people are
setting up their neighbors for more annoyances.

When these little inconveniences prop up for me I think about the
thousand people who just died all over the world from either
starvation, not a drop of water, or HIV AIDS. I think of the child in
Africa who dies alone at the age of five and a huge vulture now has
some food. There are so many more important things in the world and
locally to put energy into.

You could use this logic to justify looking the other way for almost
any kind of crime. I've got a friend who could remove a picture window
from your house, intact and undamaged, in under 1/2 hour. Would that be
OK with you? After all, it's not assault or indecent exposure, and it's
certainly not a bad as a child starving in Africa. I just like your
window and I feel like having it, purely on a whim. You wouldn't call
the police, right?

A dog doesn't purposely pee on your garden because it annoys you. It
doesn't even consciously think about it.

Jen

Does the dog owner leave the house with the dog intentionally, or is the
dog owner somehow unaware of his/her actions? I think that qualifies as
dementia.

Once again the owners fault, not the dog's!!

But, it *does* qualify as intent.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
In article ,
says...
"Jen" wrote in message

[...]

Huh? What a strange idea.

Dog owners knowingly walking the dog down the street, watching it
dump a big pile of shit on the public footpath, and then then
consciously proceeding along? Without even thinking of cleaning
it up?

once dog has finished having a dump dog owner can pick up poop in a plastic
bag, take it home and throw under hedge as fertiliser. Streets stay clean,
poop gets used as it should be (fertiliser) and hedge benefits from a nice
feed once poop breaks down.

rob

Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
"Jen" wrote in message

[...]

I'm sure that they don't even know that it happened. And they
cannot be expected to deal with such esoteric ideas. Such as
your personal, idiosyncratic displeasure with the dog shit piles.

I mean, really... Perhaps next you will suggest that cigarette
smokers have some kind of responsibility or control over where
their butts magically land?

Don't you comprehend? These things just "Happen" all by
themselves. Haven't you ever heard that saying -
"Shit Happens"?

You are so judgmental for implying otherwise.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 03-03-2007, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
In article ,
says...
"Jen" wrote in message

[...]

Sometimes, they walk for 15 minutes and never realize their dog's crapping
on someone else's lawn. I admit that it's confusing, since houses come in so
many different colors and have different cars in the driveway. One's head
can end up in a swirl of details, impossible to organize. How is one to know
that they've left their own property? Perhaps some sort of electronic
device, you know?

Old 03-03-2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 3, 4:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

In article ,
says...
"Jen" wrote in message

[...]

LOL
Oh good, Joe's got his sense of humor back
The Seizure has past.........

Hey wait a minute, you might have a solution he
How about a long tether/leash for the Human.
Attach little tags at the interval that each house occurs:
Joe's house is 60' so the tag is RED-no potty here
then at 120 feet, Sue's house-GREEN, potty OK
BLUE might be Number 1 OK, Number 2 not ok
etc.
Yes life is difficult. I was about to send you a Gopher,
so you could see what destruction it can cause
While sitting on patio, watched entire Peruvian Scilla
pulled underground. Bottom half of Cannas eaten.
I think its a female about to become a mother. I can send
you a few if you like. Now there's another solution: trained
gopher pulls plant underground just as dog pees!

Emilie

Old 03-03-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"mleblanca" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 3, 4:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

In article ,
says...
"Jen" wrote in message

[...]

I have a better idea: People like me install a radio sender on their
property. On the dog and its owner are shock collars, but with electrical
properties identical to Tasers. If either creature gets with 12" of my
property line, both creatures end up on the ground, unable to move. Any
owner found without the shock collar is fined $1000.00. No checks, no credit
cards. They go to jail until a friend or family member shows up with green
cash money.

This would also get rid of those stupid 20 foot extendable leashes that some
idiot invented. And, dogs owners would be trained to walk in the middle of
the street. This would make dog walking so dangerous it might dissuade more
people from having them as pets.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article says...
Look, I watch the Dog Whisper every week. It's always the fault of
the dogs owner. Why would anyone buy a boarder collie if they live in
the city?

You can say this about any large or medium sized breed. According to
your logic everyone in the city should stick to small yap yap dogs. I
live in a very congested city area with no yard at all and have two BCs,
one 11 and a new Blue Merle puppy. The nice thing about BCs is that
since they are the smartest dog there is they can be trained easily and
can adapt to their environment far easier than any other breed. With
any breed of dog if the owner doesn't assert themselves as pack leader
then the dog will have problems -- and BCs will especially have problems
if the owner doesn't clamp down on them hard because then they think
they can get away with things. Too many people treat their dogs like
children and that's what causes problems -- not because they live in a
congested city environment.

The poor dog needs a job and is bred to do the job.

There are plenty of tasks for BCs to do in the city.

So
when the dog tries to round up the family, children, snapping at their
ankles, they bring the poor thing to the pound. So, the dog is dead
because anyone knowing anything would never buy a border collie in the
city.

There are very few pure bred BCs at the pound or on petfinder.com (in
fact there were none on petfinder.com the last I looked). BCs are very
expensive dogs.