Old 30-06-2007, 09:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lycopene in tomatoes

Interesting article on new cherry tomato raisin developed in Israel.
(who knew there was such a thing?)

http://tinyurl.com/2tmmm9

First 3 'graphs:

=================

Eating your vegetables just got a whole lot healthier. An Israeli
company has just created a new tasty tomato that is high in natural
antioxidants that can help treat and prevent disease.

Naturally bred to include high amounts of the compound lycopene,
previously available only as a dietary supplement, the
Israeli-developed Lyc-O-Mato brand self-dried cherry tomato raisin
will now be available as a food additive.

Lycopene is a nutrient and antioxidant that is naturally occurring in
small quantities in vegetables such as tomatoes. It has been suggested
that it can help treat cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes,
osteoporosis, and even male infertility. It is also useful in
supporting skin health.

================

P.

Old 30-06-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

This idea is still born as far as I'm concerned until the Palestinians
get their land back. I will buy nothing Israeli, although I know many
good people live there. That should be enough to derail the group for
awhile.

That said, we are talking about "the tomato (Solanum lycopersicum)".
This new tomato allows you to get the same nutrition by eating fewer
tomatoes? Why would you want to do that?

If they marketers found away to make cardboard taste like tomatoes, I
would probably eat it. But no, they have come up with a way to make
tomatoes taste like cardboard.

In the mean time, enjoy real, short shelf-life tomatoes, while they are
in season.
--
Billy
Old 30-06-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

Uh, oh! So much for our relationship.

Suggestion: Do a little research rather than relying on shrill Arab
lies; they are expert at manipulating media and people.

Don't bother to reply, as I will no longer be reading your posts.

P.

[..]
Old 30-06-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

Jews and Moslems lived together for fifteen hundred years. Then the UN
said to the Palestinians, this land is no longer yours. How many of you
would let foreigners chase you from your land? In the Nakba, in 1948,
Palestinians fled for their lives. They are not allowed to return. Under
international law, this is illegal. Israel is in defiance of at least 2
UN resolutions for Israeli withdrawal from land under Israeli
"occupation". Resistance to Israeli occupation is termed terrorism.
Israelis have F-16 jets and Abrams tanks. Palestinians have baskets with
bombs in them. Peace groups in Israel have had hand grenades thrown at
them. Yitzhak Rabin, Prime Minister of Israel, was assassinated because
he proposed peace, not a just peace, but peace. Rachel Corrie, an
American peace activist was run over by an armored Caterpillar tractor
that was going to destroy a home with a family inside it. The
documentary, "Death in Gaza" (HBO) describes James Miller and Saira Shah
attempt to give a balance view of the conflict. Miller was killed by
Israeli forces. Israel's offer of peace is what "white" South Africa
offered black Africans, apartheid. It wasn't acceptable then. It's not
acceptable now.

And, sadly, The Queen of the Underworld, Persephone has shown the same
lack of flexibility as the state she promotes.
--
Billy
Old 30-06-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

If only we (UN) in 1948 gave the estranged Jewish population some of
Argentina all this would be mute. But the prefix holy means many must
die. I always thought North Dakota would suffice and we would some how
be vacationing there now and purchasing citrus.

If some one took my land I'd fight especially if the water was taken.

Hope Billy and Persephone work it out.

Meanwhile I've been invited to camp David to work this all out.
Ya Right.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 01-07-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2tmmm9

First 3 'graphs:

=================

Eating your vegetables just got a whole lot healthier. An Israeli
company has just created a new tasty tomato that is high in natural
antioxidants that can help treat and prevent disease.

Naturally bred to include high amounts of the compound lycopene,
previously available only as a dietary supplement, the
Israeli-developed Lyc-O-Mato brand self-dried cherry tomato raisin
will now be available as a food additive.

Lycopene is a nutrient and antioxidant that is naturally occurring in
small quantities in vegetables such as tomatoes. It has been suggested
that it can help treat cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes,
osteoporosis, and even male infertility. It is also useful in
supporting skin health.

Ethnic cleansing aside, it's a shame that Persephone just presented us
with advertising copy (see site above). It appears that Israeli
advertising is just as misleading as American advertising. The phrase
"can help treat and prevent disease" is just the kind of pharmacological
representation that the FDA has been fighting with food supplements for
years. It sounds good but means nothing and, no proof will be offered.
Turns out lycopene is more available when the tomatoes are cooked into a
sauce.

See: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/3/1/15

Misrepresentation of lycopene concentrations found in foods.

See: http://1stholistic.com/Nutrition/vkb/lycopene.htm

Oh, Charlie, if your there. I need to work on my green beans a little
more. I usually screw things up the first couple of times and the green
beans were no exception. I served them with Brazilian black beans and
rice (see below), which uses oranges. I thought it would be nice to have
orange and lemon flavors on the same plate. I guess I over "lemoned" the
beans. The criticism I got was that the "Lovey-poo" couldn't taste the
beans. Next time I'll try to mute the lemon by not using any of the
zest. I'll get it right eventually.

I only used a couple of oranges for this recipe. It still came out
pretty orangey:-) I did use some segments as garnish.

Brazilian-Style Black Beans and Rice

Serving Size : 8
Beans Citrus
ham Oranges
Raisin Rice

1 Lb Dried Black Beans -- soaked and drained
1 Ham Bone
2 Quarts Water
1 Tbsp Mustard Seed
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
2 Clove Garlic -- lightly crushed
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tbsps Salt
1/4 cup Raisins
8 Oranges
2 cup Rice -- cooked

Combine the beans, bones, water, mustard seed, oregano, garlic, and
oregano in a large pot. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat 3-4 hours
or until the beans are soft, stirring occasionally.

Remove the bay leaves and the ham bone. Use a stick blender to puree
some of the beans, leaving most of the beans whole.

Remove any meat from the ham bone and add it back to the beans.

Add the raisins.

Let cook again over low heat another 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring every 15
minutes or so to prevent sticking.

Wash the oranges carefully and remove the zest in long thin strips.
Then peel the oranges and remove the segments. Squeeze the juice from
the segmented oranges over the segments.

Immediately before serving, top the hot cooked rice with the beans.
Sprinkle all the zest over the beans.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 480 Calories; 4g Fat (7.6%
calories from
fat); 20g Protein; 92g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 13mg
Cholesterol; 1620mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fruit;
1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve the beans and rice with the orange segments.
--
Billy
Old 01-07-2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:24:02 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

What the **** are you going on about? Did you bother to understand
what Billy was saying? I try not to buy anything Chinese....what the
hell do you have to say about that?

He said nothing about race, nor religion.....it was a political
statement. What.... do we now have to worry about dropping th I-bomb,
along with the N-bomb and the J-bomb, maybe the C-bomb or the
A-bomb......and all the other-bombs? Yeah, I'm sure the TLA boys just
tagged this post, so go ahead, step right up and play.

Perhaps *you* should do a little research on media manipulation and
ownership and read more carefully what is posted.

Your response to Billy sucked, along with your hissy-fit. Non-elitist
sow, my ass.

Charlie

Losing your dream is hard Charlie. Persephone is a good person but she
is looking for Zero Mostel and finding Moshe Dayan, who would look more
comfortable in a panzer tank.

The American government looked the other way when Saddam Hussein was
gassing the Kurds. What do you think they would do for the "only
democracy" in the middle east? Give them a couple of extra weeks to use
cluster weapons, maybe?

Logic won't work with Persephone, she has an emotional connection that
will be hard for her to break.
--
Billy
Old 01-07-2007, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

You don't specify type of rice

Californican Brown Basmati
--
Billy
Old 01-07-2007, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 18:52:56 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:24:02 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

Of course losing your dream is hard. We all need to realize that and
accept it and accept the loss of dreams That Persephone is a good
person goes without saying. I was surprised by her reaction to your
observation.

The American government looked the other way when Saddam Hussein was
gassing the Kurds. What do you think they would do for the "only
democracy" in the middle east? Give them a couple of extra weeks to use
cluster weapons, maybe?

Going down this road is pointless. This has been discussed ad nauseaum
and is accepted as fact by any thinking and caring person.

Unfortunately, so many in power are uncaring, and so many following are
unthinking.

Logic won't work with Persephone, she has an emotional connection that
will be hard for her to break.

Much as we see in the US, eh? Greatest nation on earth, one nation
under, which was founded upon genocide and oligarchy.

Ashkenazi,,, Sephardi....how many understand the history, and the
animosity and prejudice practiced within, and by, Israel herself?

I don't have a very good handle on the mid-east situation, it is a long
an difficult history to follow and understand, but Persephone's
reaction was as she condemns.

Fisk can analyze, but Billy cannot? Screw that noise, my friend.

Charlie

You got it my friend, loud and clear. Unfortunately so did Cynthia
McKinny and Norman G. Finkelstein and they both got creamed. Beware
AIPAC.
--
Billy
Old 01-07-2007, 07:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Rose,

You are an idiot. I hope you never get to taste any Israeli products. Maybe you
should offer the Palestinians a home in your town. Who cares what you think about
Israel's policies. You obviously know nothing about the situation over there.
Your
comments don't belong in a gardening site.

Sherwin D.

wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:24:02 -0700, Persephone wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose

Old 01-07-2007, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:

In article
,
Persephone wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article

,
Persephone wrote:

[...]

Here is a plan:

The United States should BUY from Mexico a strip
of land along the Mexican / U.S. border about 10
miles wide. The U.S. could then tell Israel that
this is their new "Promised Land". The Jews
would leave the Middle East. The Jews would have
a new group of people to exploit and they would
serve as a buffer to help prevent the invasion of
the United States by poor Mexicans. Those Jews
know how to build fences and walls. The land is
mostly hot and dry desert type climate which the
Jews are used to. If the Jews insisted on
fighting a war, they could go up to Utah and pick
on the Mormans. Joe Lieberman could satisfy his
political ambitions and run for President of the
new "Promised Land". A lot of issues would be
solved.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

In article
,
Persephone wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article

,
Persephone wrote:

[...]

The "Promised Land" next to "Jesus Land"? Hmmm.
I think the thing is this concept of an ethnically pure state. The idea
was tried in the first half of the 20th century and got pretty nasty
reviews. How about, "you can be in my dream, if I can be in yours". Of
course this conflict is no more about religion than it was in Northern
Ireland. It is plain ol' greed and desire. I say, go back to the way it
was. One country, with life, liberty and, justice for all. But maybe
that's just me.
--
Billy
Old 01-07-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

Rose,

You are an idiot. I hope you never get to taste any Israeli products. Maybe
you
should offer the Palestinians a home in your town. Who cares what you think
about
Israel's policies. You obviously know nothing about the situation over
there.
Your
comments don't belong in a gardening site.

Sherwin D.

Well, gardeners do nurture and try to bring harmony out of chaos. A
gardener of humanity, if you like. Where the harvest is peace and
contentment.

A tomato (Israel's Lyc-O-Mato) was the entry point for this thread.
Since the original post, I have give two reasons for shunning this
particular tomato (1) political (I don't support fascists) and, (2)
misrepresentation of Lyc-O-Mato's nutritional value.

I am very pleased to say, we already have Palestinian neighbors, thank
you. Christian Arabs who also were chased from their homes by the IDF.

Israel obviously doesn't care about what I think, or even what the UN
General Assembly thinks. They (Israel) claim that God is on their side.
Hmmm. Where have I heard that before?

Your right, this is not the venue for this discussion but I would be
curious to know what factual basis you have for dismissing me as an
idiot. I presume you have reasons and that this isn't just another
instance of divine revelation or howling at the Moon.
--
Billy
Old 03-07-2007, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hey you Nazi putz. I suggest we give the Palestinians a nice homeland in
Deutchland.

As far as exploiting the Mexicans, certain American conglomerates do a good
job of that already. They don't need Israeli help.

Sherwin

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

In article
,
Persephone wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:23:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article

,

Old 03-07-2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

Hey you Nazi putz. I suggest we give the Palestinians a nice homeland in
Deutchland.

As far as exploiting the Mexicans, certain American conglomerates do a good
job of that already. They don't need Israeli help.

Sherwin

Being pig ignorant ain't kosher. Stop embarrassing yourself.
--
Billy