Old 25-08-2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Powdery Mildew starting on squash

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
A few of my squash plants have developed powdery mildew. Last year I lost
all of my pumpkins and squash to this. Has anyone had it start, and then
was able to stop it from spreading? If so, what did you use? I'd hate to
loose my squash and pumpkins. Last year I used a fish/canola oil mixture,
but it did not help any.

What worked for me once was simple: A heaping tablespoon of baking soda
dissolved in a quart of water. Spray on leaves. I guess it throws the pH of
the leaf surface in a direction the mildew doesn't like.

Old 26-08-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
A few of my squash plants have developed powdery mildew. Last year I lost
all of my pumpkins and squash to this. Has anyone had it start, and then
was able to stop it from spreading? If so, what did you use? I'd hate to
loose my squash and pumpkins. Last year I used a fish/canola oil mixture,
but it did not help any.

What worked for me once was simple: A heaping tablespoon of baking soda
dissolved in a quart of water. Spray on leaves. I guess it throws the pH of
the leaf surface in a direction the mildew doesn't like.

Powdery Mildew

This fungus produces a white powdery appearance on leaves and sometimes
other green parts. It can be found on roses, dahlias, chrysanthemums,
peas, and squash. Some rose varieties are so susceptible that you would
be better off digging it up. You can use a fungicide or the non toxic
spray made with baking soda. To each gallon of water add 3-4 tsp. oil
(salad oil) and 3-4 tsp. Arm and Hammer Baking Soda, mix well. Use a
fine spray and apply to affected plants. This also controls black spot
on roses and foliar vegetable diseases. Some plants may show some
sensitivity.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 26-08-2007, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone for the info. I had some Organocide, which is 5% sesame oil,
92% fish oil, and 3% lecithin, which I guess acts as an emulsifier so it
will mix with water. Smelly stuff. Dumped a tsp or two of baking soda into a
half gallon jug, added an 1/8 cup oil, fill with water, mix, spray. I've
found quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that it works well. I have some
chemical fungicide, but I decided to use the oil and baking soda mixture
first before I call out the heavy artillery.

Old 26-08-2007, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

Let us know how it progresses.

Old 26-08-2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day ook,

there is a recipe for a spray using milk on our remedies page, lots
have success with that.

i find that growing the cucurburts in well drained and full sun
positions with good air movement ie breezes works for us the only time
we might get some p.m is right toward the end of the plants productive
life.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 26-08-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

I tried milk last year - didn't help, I still lost everything. I also
noticed next to it in your remedies section a recipe for oil and soda, which
is what I used. I won't know for a week if it helps any. Part of the problem
is that I did not realize how large and invasive pumpkins would grow. The
vines are easily 20 feet long, and have crowded out much of my squash and
cucumbers. Very dense, and we don't get a lot of wind here. Plus, the only
way I have to water is overhead watering, which leaves everything nice and
wet

Old 27-08-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:39:25 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
spam wrote:

I tried milk last year - didn't help, I still lost everything. I also
noticed next to it in your remedies section a recipe for oil and soda, which
is what I used. I won't know for a week if it helps any. Part of the problem
is that I did not realize how large and invasive pumpkins would grow. The
vines are easily 20 feet long, and have crowded out much of my squash and
cucumbers. Very dense, and we don't get a lot of wind here. Plus, the only
way I have to water is overhead watering, which leaves everything nice and
wet

overhead watering is a bug bare with cucurburts they don't need their
foliage wet at all we only ever water around the root zone.

no need to let pumpkins ramble all over the garden you can keep
training them around and over the main root area.

if good breeze is a problem then you may need to look more at better
drainage grow them on high mounds.

.. .

Old 27-08-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

spam wrote:

I tried milk last year - didn't help, I still lost everything. I also
noticed next to it in your remedies section a recipe for oil and soda,
which
is what I used. I won't know for a week if it helps any. Part of the
problem
is that I did not realize how large and invasive pumpkins would grow. The
vines are easily 20 feet long, and have crowded out much of my squash and
cucumbers. Very dense, and we don't get a lot of wind here. Plus, the only
way I have to water is overhead watering, which leaves everything nice and
wet

overhead watering is a bug bare with cucurburts they don't need their
foliage wet at all we only ever water around the root zone.

no need to let pumpkins ramble all over the garden you can keep
training them around and over the main root area.

It is amazing, though, to see them travel 14 miles around the property. :-)

Old 01-09-2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Let us know how it progresses.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley

Alas, the mildew is taking over. I sprayed a week ago, but was out of town
for a week. All of the new growth is infected. The old growth that I sprayed
is fine, but with the new growth infected, I don't have much hope for the
plants . I'll spray again tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message

Let us know how it progresses.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley

Alas, the mildew is taking over. I sprayed a week ago, but was out of town
for a week. All of the new growth is infected. The old growth that I
sprayed is fine, but with the new growth infected, I don't have much hope
for the plants . I'll spray again tomorrow and see what happens.

The real solution is to start new cucumber plants around the end of July.
I've known this for 25 years. I have never done it.

:-(

Old 01-09-2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

The real solution is to start new cucumber plants around the end of July.
I've known this for 25 years. I have never done it.

:-(

You've known it but never done it? You sound like me LOL. I read somewhere
that you should exactly that - plant several sucessive crops so that you
have young vigorous plants when the old ones die off. My cucumbers are
pretty much spent, I wish I would have planted some fresh ones a month ago.
My mutant acorn squash was planted in the beginning of July, and it is
healthy, vigorous, no sign of mildew, and just now starting to produce. I
expect to get a lot of goodies from them until the frost hits.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message

The real solution is to start new cucumber plants around the end of July.
I've known this for 25 years. I have never done it.

:-(

You've known it but never done it? You sound like me LOL. I read somewhere
that you should exactly that - plant several sucessive crops so that you
have young vigorous plants when the old ones die off. My cucumbers are
pretty much spent, I wish I would have planted some fresh ones a month
ago. My mutant acorn squash was planted in the beginning of July, and it
is healthy, vigorous, no sign of mildew, and just now starting to produce.
I expect to get a lot of goodies from them until the frost hits.

I always seem to be preoccupied with some other summer thing, or there's no
room in the garden. Pathetic reasons, but it's the truth.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

You've known it but never done it? You sound like me LOL. I read
somewhere that you should exactly that - plant several sucessive crops so
that you have young vigorous plants when the old ones die off. My
cucumbers are pretty much spent, I wish I would have planted some fresh
ones a month ago. My mutant acorn squash was planted in the beginning of
July, and it is healthy, vigorous, no sign of mildew, and just now
starting to produce. I expect to get a lot of goodies from them until the
frost hits.

I always seem to be preoccupied with some other summer thing, or there's
no room in the garden. Pathetic reasons, but it's the truth.

No, they are very good reasons. I planted way too many tomatoes and
tomatillos, and consequently have limited space for other stuff. My
tomatillos are now 7 feet tall (they are supposed to be 3-4 foot tall
plants. My tomatoes outgrew the 8 foot trellises I planted them on, half of
my pathways are overgrown, a bunch of volunteer cosmos and four o'clocks
took over one of the beds, volunteer sunflowers are everywhere - *huge*
volunteer sunflowers, omg, I had no idea a sunflowers could get so big! Half
the garden is infested with volunteer tomatillos, and I just don't have time
to clean up the mess. Plus I'm trying to keep up with mowing the lawn,
working, school, honey doos, etc. There is just never enough time